Okay, I admit it! I haven't Seen this movie.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Okay, I admit it! I haven't Seen this movie.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 am

I can't abide boxing. So I haven't seen Rocky, Raging Bull, whatever that thing was last year with Hilary Swank, or any other movie whose main theme is boxing. I've heard enough about Fight Club that I may watch that one someday, but I have not seen that yet, either.

Roland, The Princess Bride only looks like a chick flick from the title. As the kid in the intro whines: "Is this a kissing book?" The first time I saw it I had no idea what to expect. I came out thinking "That was one of the best movies I have ever seen!" Just the right balance of monsters, swashbuckling, treachery, slapstick, and snarky humor. What else would you expect of a fairy tale from the guys who brought you This is Spinal Tap?
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:41 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:I've heard enough about Fight Club that I may watch that one someday, but I have not seen that yet, either.

[pretentious]Fight Club isn't really about the fighting, it's more about the mental state of the protagonists and their social commentary. The fighting is a plot device, not the main focus[/pretentious].
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:43 am

daftbeaker wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote:I've heard enough about Fight Club that I may watch that one someday, but I have not seen that yet, either.

[pretentious]Fight Club isn't really about the fighting, it's more about the mental state of the protagonists and their social commentary. The fighting is a plot device, not the main focus[/pretentious].

Yes, that's why I'll probably watch it. It's on my Netflix list somewhere. Of course I have about 250 films on my Netflix queue, so it may be awhile before I get to it.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby bacon on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:05 pm

daftbeaker wrote:

:stupid: It was a great movie, Ubi-Mom. I don't really care for movies that are about fighting - like Rocky - and I put off watching the film forever, until I heard an interview with the author of the book. Absolutely great film and one day I hope to actually read the story!

I have never watched Titanic. The movie was just being so forced down your throat when it came out, I couldn't bring myself to watch it.
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby black bart on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 am

bacon wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:

:stupid: It was a great movie, Ubi-Mom. I don't really care for movies that are about fighting - like Rocky - and I put off watching the film forever, until I heard an interview with the author of the book. Absolutely great film and one day I hope to actually read the story!

I have never watched Titanic. The movie was just being so forced down your throat when it came out, I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

At least 3 films have been made about the Titanic story. Cameron's film was just about the most inaccurate one of the lot. I prefer 'A night to remember' with good old Kenneth Moore.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 am

black bart wrote:At least 3 films have been made about the Titanic story. Cameron's film was just about the most inaccurate one of the lot. I prefer 'A night to remember' with good old Kenneth Moore.

But there's a nudey lady in it. A nudey lady!

It was pretty naff apart from that and the actual sinking part. I expected more Titanic drama, less romance. A lot less romance. Not wanting to spoil it for those planning to see it, I have put this next bit really small:-

I thought that both the 1912 and present day endings were stupid. Why would Kate Winslet's character hold onto those jewels for that length of time? Why not give them to their owner or sell them on the black market? Also, why let Leonardo di Caprio's character die? Surely they could have taken turns being on the flotsam, or they could have found something for Leo to float on? That was just selfish!
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:28 am

By an amazing coincidence...if anyone's interested...for one week only...Captain Cronan is doing a talk on the Titanic at the Public Records Office at Kew a week on Thursday.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors