Okay, I admit it! I haven't read this book.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Okay, I admit it! I haven't read this book.

Postby Edd on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Some time ago, I decided to include some classics in my reading regimen for the sole purpose of eliminating that nagging little feeling that I get when I hear someone discussing a book that they just assume everyone has read but I haven't. A few years ago, I read Asimov's Foundation series and I feel better for having read them, but I don't think I would have picked them up if not for that little voice in the back of my mind.

So here's a support/confession thread for the literary-minded.

*deep breath*

Hello, my name is edd and I haven't read Moby Dick.
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Re: Okay, I admit it! I haven't read this book.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 pm

The bosun's name inspires a chain of coffee shops, the whale lives, the mad captain dies. Or does he..?

Hello, my name is Roy and I have never read a single Terry Pratchett book.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello, my name is [not really] pieces o'nine and I have never read James Joyce's Ulysses.

or The Dead

or Eveline

or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

or Exiles

or Finnegans Wake

or Giacomo Joyce
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Hello, my name is Roy and I have never read a single Terry Pratchett book.

Really? Not one? Philistine :wink:

I have books I've gotten three quarters through and stopped. Catch 22, Beyond Good and Evil, On The Origin Of Species are a few of them.

I've never read Catcher in the Rye or Frankenstein or a Shakespeare play properly (as in not looking for quotes in an English class).
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:31 pm

I've managed to get through High School (well, almost) without reading To Kill A Mockingbird. We read more books than any other class in 10th grade (and a full quarter of poetry to boot), and didn't read the one book everyone else had to read (and loathed).
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Moby Dick is overrated. So is Leaves of Grass.

I never read To Kill A Mockingbird either, but I did read The Sound and the Fury. And actually liked it, sort of.

Haven't gotten up the guts to read Uncle Tom's cabin, though.

Dracula and The Last Mohican were awesome. Double awesome, even.

Never made it through Middlemarch. Tried twice and failed both times. Never got around to reading Watership Down.
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Edd wrote:Some time ago, I decided to include some classics in my reading regimen for the sole purpose of eliminating that nagging little feeling that I get when I hear someone discussing a book that they just assume everyone has read but I haven't.

Mark Twain wrote:a classic -- something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.

Okay, classic I admit to not having read that I want to: The first two books of the LotR trilogy. I admit that part of that has to do with the movies, plus the laundry list of books I want to read as well.

Classic I have not read and do not want to read: Catcher in the Rye. Everyone I talk to who had to read it told me it was a piece of predictable, boring, obnoxious, irreverent without being relevant hunk of steaming bat piss.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 am

I didn't mind it, but I did hate the main character. It's written and constructed well, but Holden is just an angry idiot who is growing up. Not bad to read in 11th grade, but I don't see why anyone older would want to revisit it.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I didn't mind it, but I did hate the main character. It's written and constructed well, but Holden is just an angry idiot who is growing up. Not bad to read in 11th grade, but I don't see why anyone older would want to revisit it.

That's the thing though, I knew a guy in high school who thought of himself as being a rebel pissed off at the world, was absolutely sure he was going to love the book, and instead ended up hating the thing.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 am

Hello, my name is Roland (on here) and i'm a readaholic. I read almost constantly, which is why my own shame is deep (I know a lot of you are the same). There is no greater sin in my eyes than destroying a book. What does come close is owning a book and not reading it. It's there, so why not read it when you are not currently reading something else?

I've had Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon since I was 17/18. After 5 years, I decided to finally read it. I think I must have read just over 100 (ish) pages before giving up. It's a bloody weird book, and the sort of seeming irreverence I like (I love Philip K. Dick, or Dick Books as me and a friend like to call them), but I just couldn't get into it properly. Maybe one day i'll re-read it from beginning to end, but for now it stays on the shelf.

PKMKII wrote:Classic I have not read and do not want to read: Catcher in the Rye. Everyone I talk to who had to read it told me it was a piece of predictable, boring, obnoxious, irreverent without being relevant hunk of steaming bat piss.

I won't read it because i'm afraid of my CIA conditioning...
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Moby Dick is overrated.

Bollocks...he's a f*****g ENORMOUS whale!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:44 am

PKMKII wrote:
Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I didn't mind it, but I did hate the main character. It's written and constructed well, but Holden is just an angry idiot who is growing up. Not bad to read in 11th grade, but I don't see why anyone older would want to revisit it.

That's the thing though, I knew a guy in high school who thought of himself as being a rebel pissed off at the world, was absolutely sure he was going to love the book, and instead ended up hating the thing.

Well exactly, it showed him how much of an idiot he was.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 am

Hello, my name is Twisty and I have never read any of the Lord of the Rings nor any Harry Potter.
I'm sure there are many other books I haven't read, but I've read so many books, I tend not to worry about the ones I've yet to read.

ET: I enjoyed Watership Down, you may get distracted by the bunnies though and start thinking about Elvalia.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:25 am

Hello my name is Black Bart and usually not only do I read books but I go on and on about them until everyone hates me...but I haven't read any Harry Potter books either.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors