Must the Flying Spaghetti Monster Always fly contiuously?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Must the Flying Spaghetti Monster Always fly contiuously?

Postby drbuzz0 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:36 am

I had an interesting question raised to me, and I honestly could not answer this. Someone was asking me about my religion when they asked the question "Is the Flying Spaghetti Monster Always Flying?"

I realized I didn't know the answer to this. Obviously we know the FSM uses flight as the preferred method of locomotion to get from one place to another, but upon getting there, would the FSM ever stop flying, and perhaps sit on a bar stool or something?

Flying seems to imply that the FSM is flying perpetually, but then when could the FSM stop flying to just chill for a while, get drunk or watch "Dude Where's My Car" or even use the lavatory. Perhaps the FSM sometimes stops flying and just hovers? Does hovering count as flying?

But then I realized something... Perhaps "Flying" does not imply continuous flying. For example, an airplane might be called a "flying machine," but it doesn't need to fly continuously. It's still a flying machine even when it's sitting in a hanger or on the tarmac.

I'm terribly terribly confused!
drbuzz0
Ziti Zealot

Re: Must the Flying Spaghetti Monster Always fly contiuously?

Postby Edd on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 am

We use the word 'flying' because it is as close as we, in our limited capacity, can come to understanding the spatial, metaphysical, and gastronomical location of the FSM. Indeed, many a Pastafarian has wondered, since we know that gravity is simply a result of the FSM pressing objects down to earth with his noodly appendages, can the FSM subject himself to gravity by pushing himself down?

Interestingly, the paradoxical question that atheists often pose to theists, 'Can your god make a stone so heavy he cannot lift it?' does not apply to the FSM, since Pastafarians know weight and gravity do not exist but are simply illusions created to confuse 'scientists.'
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Another theological point to remember about the FSM is that he is rather lazy, and as such probably wouldn't spend much time flying around if he had a choice between flying and sitting on bar stools.

However, since the flying aspect of the FSM is merely more an illusion created by his pushing down on everything, it is more likely that he is in a perpetual state of hovering which requires little effort on his part, so he technically always is "airborne."

Also, being the awesome deity that he is, it probably doesn't require any effort to move in any direction whilst floating. Rather, he'd just move the universe around him.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:...it probably doesn't require any effort to move in any direction whilst floating. Rather, he'd just move the universe around him.
I was thinking something similar myself: He is the centre of the universe. Copernicus may have been wrong after all...
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby KC Observer on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Flying, floating, what does it matter. As long as there's pasta and alcohol!
KC Observer
Mod

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 pm

And don't forget there is that picture of the FSM sitting at a table a la the last supper.

CF
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Return to All Things FSM