how to tell your parents

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: how to tell your parents

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:26 am

Not parents, but my brother finally figured it out when he visited us at Chrifsmas and saw our FSM tree ornaments and the selection of books on our shelves. The clincher was when I handed back our present from him - a DVD of "Expelled".
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby black bart on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:Not parents, but my brother finally figured it out when he visited us at Chrifsmas and saw our FSM tree ornaments and the selection of books on our shelves. The clincher was when I handed back our present from him - a DVD of "Expelled".

Arrgh...wot be 'Expelled' matey...be it thee autobiography o Nef Yoo BB?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:Not parents, but my brother finally figured it out when he visited us at Chrifsmas and saw our FSM tree ornaments and the selection of books on our shelves. The clincher was when I handed back our present from him - a DVD of "Expelled".

I bursted out laughing when I read this. Giving a Pastafarian a copy of Expelled... Priceless X'D
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm

black bart wrote:

Arrgh...wot be 'Expelled' matey...be it thee autobiography o Nef Yoo BB?

Heheheh. Arrrrggg.

If it doesn't seem like prying, how did your brother react? If my brother had given me that (He's not particularly religious so it would probably never happen, but hypothetically speaking...), I would have sat down and watched it with him. I would then have enjoyed picking apart every single 'argument' put forward by Ben Stein et al by prodigious use of the pause button on the remote control, and maybe even used the internet to show how interviews with people had been misunderstood (intentionally or not) and quotes taken out of all context. The interview with Dawkins springs to mind (I, for one, bow to our Alien God Overlords :worship:). Maybe i'm just evil, but that would be quite fun for me. He brought it up in a manner of speaking. I know the only arguments back would be ones i've heard before and could easily refute with scientific, peer-reviewed evidence, but it would be interesting to see if there was another angle he could come from.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:If it doesn't seem like prying, how did your brother react? If my brother had given me that (He's not particularly religious so it would probably never happen, but hypothetically speaking...), I would have sat down and watched it with him. I would then have enjoyed picking apart every single 'argument' put forward by Ben Stein et al by prodigious use of the pause button on the remote control, and maybe even used the internet to show how interviews with people had been misunderstood (intentionally or not) and quotes taken out of all context. The interview with Dawkins springs to mind (I, for one, bow to our Alien God Overlords :worship:). Maybe i'm just evil, but that would be quite fun for me. He brought it up in a manner of speaking. I know the only arguments back would be ones i've heard before and could easily refute with scientific, peer-reviewed evidence, but it would be interesting to see if there was another angle he could come from.

He asked for an opportunity to discuss "your faith" and that turned into a several weeks long exchange of emails. Highlights included that it quickly turned from "[my] faith" into his faith; Godditit; He thought Expelled would be a good gift because it's science, not religion; and that while he slept in my basement, he had a vision of me and UDK#1 burning in hell.

That exchange is a lot of what prompted me to become active on these forums.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Wow. I offer you my sympathy, and hope that it doesn't tarnish your relationship with your brother on a personal level. It's difficult for me to imagine that kind of reaction. My parents believe in a more traditional (fluffy?) CofE way, but don't really bring up my Atheism in conversation. Apart from the odd chance meeting in the wild, I don't really encounter that sort of reaction in real life, only on the internet. I can only hope that at the least he comes to accept your position and respect it for what it is.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:He asked for an opportunity to discuss "your faith" and that turned into a several weeks long exchange of emails. Highlights included that it quickly turned from "[my] faith" into his faith; Godditit; He thought Expelled would be a good gift because it's science, not religion; and that while he slept in my basement, he had a vision of me and UDK#1 burning in hell.

That exchange is a lot of what prompted me to become active on these forums.

It sounds like he's trying, at least in that strange way where they're trying to be sensitive towards a viewpoint that can't even comprehend comprehending. I can picture the discussion falling towards his faith... Even ignoring the idea of him trying to convert you.. It's hard to discuss our faith out of context of other faiths, I'm afraid, because its origins have deep reactionary roots. He probably thinks "Expelled" really is science, and thought he could discuss it "rationally" with you..

The terrible thing is to know that he's really terrified for you and UDK#1. The fact that his fears are irrational doesn't change the sincerity of his concern. I can't imagine what it must be like to live with that kind of fear everyday :sad:
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:48 pm

And I didn't even get included in his vision! What am I, chopped liver?
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am

I say, have your own vision, Ubi Dubium! All the cool kids are doing it.

Get inconsolably weepy at the very *thought* of him being denied a choice spot at the beer volcano, and having to make-do with ugly strippers. Thereafter, every time you have to look at him, let your eyes brim with tears...

Roy Hunter wrote:I have a fairly good dialogue going with my moody, angst-ridden teenage son using magnetic fridge poetry. He will put things on the fridge he couldn't say out loud. I have to say I heartily approve of the medium.
The best magnet message I ever left on a refrigerator was back in college. My [boyfriend] and his roommate had trashed their place to the point that we could barely stand to enter, so one weekend I & BFF put on hazmat suits and cleaned.

In the process we discovered the roommate's Playboy collection and removed the full-page images of two young ladies whom we felt best resembled our non-hazmat-suited selves. We drew glasses and earrings on them and hung them on the frig with magnets spelling our names. With the leftover magnets we spelled "P U TRASH HOUSE".

Our clever joke was foiled by the next day arrival of the ex-wife, who -- inexplicably -- chose to walk her girls into the house. It is my understanding that she was *not* amused to see [pieces] and [BFF] on the frig, sporting hand-drawn glasses, smiles, and her innocent children's refrigerator magnets.

Ahhhh. those were the days... :lech:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:14 am

pieces o'nine wrote:I say, have your own vision, Ubi Dubium! All the cool kids are doing it.

Get inconsolably weepy at the very *thought* of him being denied a choice spot at the beer volcano, and having to make-do with ugly strippers. Thereafter, every time you have to look at him, let your eyes brim with tears...

You know, he is a microbrew fan. Perhaps I can get his attention with an eternity of stale Budweiser.

This amuses me, by the way. He now refuses to have anything to do with Dungeons and Dragons, but he plays poker and he drinks. My Reverend grandfather-in-law would think he's a horrible Baptist - no drinking, no gambling, no smoking, no dancing, no card playing.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ham Nox on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about converting him, I'd worry about what kind of logic goes on in his head to think that Dungeons and Dragons is more harmful than drinking and gambling! (Unless you count danger to one's social life..)
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Ham Nox wrote:It sounds like he's trying, at least in that strange way where they're trying to be sensitive towards a viewpoint that can't even comprehend comprehending. I can picture the discussion falling towards his faith... Even ignoring the idea of him trying to convert you.. It's hard to discuss our faith out of context of other faiths, I'm afraid, because its origins have deep reactionary roots. He probably thinks "Expelled" really is science, and thought he could discuss it "rationally" with you..

The terrible thing is to know that he's really terrified for you and UDK#1. The fact that his fears are irrational doesn't change the sincerity of his concern. I can't imagine what it must be like to live with that kind of fear everyday :sad:

Maybe. He came across more as thinking his vision proved that he was right or perhaps trying to make me feel guilty for causing this "disturbing vision". He didn't seem to be upset. However, this part of the conversation was via email, so I might have misinterpreted.

When were they watching my D&D game!

Ham Nox wrote:I wouldn't worry about converting him, I'd worry about what kind of logic goes on in his head to think that Dungeons and Dragons is more harmful than drinking and gambling! (Unless you count danger to one's social life..)

I actually am not certain he thinks it is harmful. I'll give you the conversation starting right after I mentioned D&D.
Brother's kid, "Dad, YOU used to play Dungeons and Dragons?!"
Brother, "Yes, before I was a Christian."
BTW, we were both raised mainstream Methodists. Apparently that's not Christian.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:He came across more as thinking his vision proved that he was right or perhaps trying to make me feel guilty for causing this "disturbing vision". He didn't seem to be upset. However, this part of the conversation was via email, so I might have misinterpreted.
Text is notoriously difficult a medium to convey sincerity and sarcasm through without being blatant. On the 'disturbing vision' part, I could take acid, have a bad trip, and still not be right about anything...
Ubi Dubius wrote:I actually am not certain he thinks it is harmful. I'll give you the conversation starting right after I mentioned D&D.
Brother's kid, "Dad, YOU used to play Dungeons and Dragons?!"
Brother, "Yes, before I was a Christian."
BTW, we were both raised mainstream Methodists. Apparently that's not Christian.
Ah, the old "I'm a real Christian" philosophy. Human nature taking over there i'm afraid. Religion, politics; everyone takes sides eventually. I was lucky. I never did try D&D due to it not being as big at my school, if it was ever played at all. I did dabble in Warhammer 40K though.

As an aside, but sort of related, I had a friend at school (It was a Christian Ecumenical School, so a lot of the people I knew there are still involved with their churches and Christian groups :bummer:) who thought that Catholics were evil because they prayed to Mary. Her father was a free church (read happy clappy) minister, but he'd never taught her that, so who knows where it came from. Her dad was a fun guy, and always took the time to listen to other people and try to understand their point of view, so go figure. Anyway, my Catholic friends put her right on that, although i'm sure some actually do pray to Mary and the Saints, most likely in more Catholic-dominated countries (stop me here if i'm wrong, but any form of beseeching is prayer to me). We worked so hard to make her more well-rounded. We chiselled the edges, so to speak, although the biggest chiselling came when she started dating another friend :lech:

Edit: Ok, that last bit came out really pervy sounding, especially with the FSM there lol. It wasn't meant that way, but as a continuation of the immediately previous metaphor. I'm not altering it though :haha:
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:50 am

Is that what they mean by character building now, is it? :wink:
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Pirate Discussion