Cult Classics

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Rainswept on Fri May 08, 2009 5:37 am

"I don't wanna explode."

My fave quote is Kaylee:
Going on a year now, I ain't had nothing twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Edd on Fri May 08, 2009 11:18 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
PKMKII wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I'm a huge fan of the movie "Dune". dunno if it qualifies as a cult classic, though.

David Lynch version or the Sci-Fi Channel version?

Sting version (I think it's David Lynch). I have it on tape upstairs somewhere, in the Room of Doom with sixty hundred lotsandlots of random other stuff.
trailer

You can tell I don't watch much TV anymore - I didn't even know there was a Sci-Fi Channel version of Dune. I, also, cannot imagine how it could be better than the original.

Rule of thumb, ET: if Kyle MacLachlan is in it, it's a pretty safe bet David Lynch directed it.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Either The Big Lebowski or Office Space for me.

"I believe you have my stapler."
Check out an official Pastafarian holy book, the Loose Canon: http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/

"With Him, All Things are Pasta-Bowl."
-ProvHerbs 3:35
Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Edd wrote:Rule of thumb, ET: if Kyle MacLachlan is in it, it's a pretty safe bet David Lynch directed it.
Does that include Desperate Housewives?

Scene 1: Wisteria Lane. The sun is shining on the white picket fences and the unnecessarily large SUVs. A man approaches the Solis family's front door and rings the doorbell. Gabrielle answers the door.

Eva Longoria: "Can I help you?"

Dennis Hopper (huffing nitrous from his jacket pocket): "Daddy wants to f**k! Daddy wants to f**k!"

Four midgets walk past singing "Blue Velvet" backwards, but in a barbershop quartet style. Orson Hodge opens his front door, holding a cup, to look at what is happening.

Kyle McLachlan: "Damn fine coffee!"

Suddenly, a 400' sandworm erupts through the tarmac of the quiet cul-de-sac, and Nicholas Cage, wearing a snakeskin jacket, sings Elvis songs to the assembled cast and crew...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Edd on Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Was that before or after the episode where the newlyweds, the Log Lady and the Elephant Man, move in down the block with their son, Eraserhead?
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Edd wrote:Rule of thumb, ET: if Kyle MacLachlan is in it, it's a pretty safe bet David Lynch directed it.

That means Sex & the City too. I always knew Lynch was secretly into shopping and girl talk.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri May 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
Does that include Desperate Housewives?

Scene 1: Wisteria Lane. The sun is shining on the white picket fences and the unnecessarily large SUVs. A man approaches the Solis family's front door and rings the doorbell. Gabrielle answers the door.

Eva Longoria: "Can I help you?"

Dennis Hopper (huffing nitrous from his jacket pocket): "Daddy wants to f**k! Daddy wants to f**k!"

Four midgets walk past singing "Blue Velvet" backwards, but in a barbershop quartet style. Orson Hodge opens his front door, holding a cup, to look at what is happening.

Kyle McLachlan: "Damn fine coffee!"

Suddenly, a 400' sandworm erupts through the tarmac of the quiet cul-de-sac, and Nicholas Cage, wearing a snakeskin jacket, sings Elvis songs to the assembled cast and crew...

Edd wrote:Was that before or after the episode where the newlyweds, the Log Lady and the Elephant Man, move in down the block with their son, Eraserhead?

Rainswept wrote:

That means Sex & the City too. I always knew Lynch was secretly into shopping and girl talk.

Jeez. I gotta get out more.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby TwistedSister on Fri May 08, 2009 7:52 pm

No, No ET, stay where you are, it's much safer there.....
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sun May 10, 2009 1:48 pm

You can tell I don't watch much TV anymore - I didn't even know there was a Sci-Fi Channel version of Dune. I, also, cannot imagine how it could be better than the original.

Dabid Linch dun a hack job obbet .

Da Space channil got et rite .
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Sun May 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote: I didn't even know there was a Sci-Fi Channel version of Dune. I, also, cannot imagine how it could be better than the original.[/b]

Well... It actually followed the book, made sense, and had far superior special effects, to begin with. I never understood what made the original so popular.
Rainswept

Postby bacon on Sun May 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:

Dabid Linch dun a hack job obbet .

Da Space channil got et rite .
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rainswept wrote:
Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote: I didn't even know there was a Sci-Fi Channel version of Dune. I, also, cannot imagine how it could be better than the original.[/b]

Well... It actually followed the book, made sense, and had far superior special effects, to begin with. I never understood what made the original so popular.

I'll definitely give the Sci-Fi version a chance.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Rocky Horror Picture Show - I obsessed over this the first time I saw it. Watched it at least once a month for a year.
Little Shop of Horrors - No one can resist 'Suddenly Seymour'. Rick Moranis singing? Awesome!
Dune - The original because I saw this first. The Sci-Fi Channel's version was closer to the book, but Lynch's version had a certain Je ne sais pas. And Patrick Stewart :shock: Sci-Fi also made Children of Dune, which was quite good.
eXistenZ - Could this be considered a cult classic? It's certainly a head "doer".

There are so many others, almost too many to mention, like the George A Romero Living Dead series, his film The Crazies (1973 original) as well. Horrors from the rather prolific Dario Argento (Suspiria, Phenomena, The Stendahl Syndrome and Demons to name a few) and Lucio Fulci (The House by the Cemetary, the Zombi series) are well worth checking out as well.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Scott the Pirate on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 am

as for dune, the original is good, but definitely lacking in the effects department.

Rocky horror? Don't make me tell that story again!

Office Space? 100% agreed! awesome!

A Clockwork Orange.

Jacobs Ladder.

Dogma.

Mirrormask.

And soon to be a cult classic, the "new" Dawn of the Dead.
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:57 am

Who's letting Nef Yoo watch all these rude films!!! :furious:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Pythonist on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm about to read the cult classic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Pythonist
Chitarra Captain