Holiday type pondering

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Holiday type pondering

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Just finished this column by Mark Steel in today's Indie about celebrating Christmas and New Year (article here: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-the-best-way-to-enjoy-your-new-years-eve-is-to-scrap-it-1852842.html).

To sum up the article. Basically because people get stressed at Christmas trying to make it too perfect, and New Year tends to be expensive because EVERYWHERE charges an entry fee, Mark Steel suggests this "Or join a religion that insists the Christians are three days out, then get absolutely smashed on January 4th".

Got me pondering. Could we have perhaps an end of Holiday festivity on or around the 4th Jan to cover this?

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Re: Holiday type pondering

Postby Edd on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Excellent idea, CF. I propose, however, that it fall on the first Monday following the new year (which this year is the fourth, anyway).
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:24 pm

The Gospel says Holiday actually takes up MOST of the months of December and January. Should it be toward the end of the month?
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Well…

In addition to celebrating still being on this globe after yet another eventful orbit, I shall be celebrating the 5th (my brother's 50th birthday) and the 10th (my youngest sister's 40th). The thing is, whenever a date is set for celebration it doesn't matter how arbitrary or moveable it is (cf. Easter); if the majority of the population is expected to celebrate it, there will be closures and high prices in the establishments that remain open. Human nature will out.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Dudeman55556 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:54 pm

I always said Holiday doesn't officially start until Wal-Mart starts playing Holiday music. But I dunno when it ends. The 4th is good enough.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:58 pm

I think in the US, Holiday extends at least until Superbowl Sunday. Not sure how the rest of the world would be affected by that, though.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Holiday, for me, has been going for over two years now… :haha:

Edit: Flippin' 'R' key is intermittent. I can haz new one?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Return to All Things FSM