Valhalla/FSM connection?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Valhalla/FSM connection?

Postby PKMKII on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:43 pm

So here's something interesting: among the various goodies in Valhalla, the Norse resting places of heroes and setting of power metal concept albums, is the Heiðrún. From the Prose Edda:

A goat called Heiðrún stands up [on its hind-legs] in Valhalla biting the buds off the branches of that very famous tree which is called Lærað. From her teats runs the mead with which every day she fills a cauldron, which is so big that all the Einherjar can drink their fill from it.

Here's a drawing:

So it's a goat that constantly produces booze. Sounds a bit like
Obviously the ancient vikings must have misinterpreted a message from the Sauced One.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Valhalla/FSM connection?

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Goat Rocks is a volcano in the Cascades here in the Pacific Northwest of the USofA. The Pacific Northwest is also known for its excellent microbrews. Coincidence? I think not!

If any resident Texans can comment on beer drinkage, there's a Goat Mountain in Texas, made of lava from a nearby volcano.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 pm

PKMKII wrote:a goat that constantly produces booze.

I want one.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Zeno Telos on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:34 am

This is an incredibly important discovery. You should be given a Nobel Pasta prize for this. Given the connection between the Viking heaven brew "factory" and the Beer Volcano, I think its safe to suggest that we allow believers to dress as Vikings if they so choose when worshiping The Lord of Linguine. I have no doubt that the shrinking number of Vikings in the world is connected with the melting of the polar ice caps - since that's their homeland! Some Pastafarian scientist needs to produce the graphs and charts to prove this important fact. We can't all live in pirate ships in the future when the earth floods from all that ice melt. We need to start dressing as Vikings as well as pirates to save the polar bears and stop the rise of the seas.

peace through pasta,
Zeno

“He dangled his noodly appendage before me and soon I knew paradise.”
- zenotelos.com
-zenotelos.com
Zeno Telos
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Robbobrob on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:40 pm

It does show that although there are cultural differences, the main themes run universally.....thus proving FSM (sorta, kinda, mayhaps)
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Zeno Telos wrote:This is an incredibly important discovery. You should be given a Nobel Pasta prize for this. Given the connection between the Viking heaven brew "factory" and the Beer Volcano, I think its safe to suggest that we allow believers to dress as Vikings if they so choose when worshiping The Lord of Linguine. I have no doubt that the shrinking number of Vikings in the world is connected with the melting of the polar ice caps - since that's their homeland! Some Pastafarian scientist needs to produce the graphs and charts to prove this important fact. We can't all live in pirate ships in the future when the earth floods from all that ice melt. We need to start dressing as Vikings as well as pirates to save the polar bears and stop the rise of the seas.

I've always assumed that Vikings were a sub-grouping of pirates. After all, they were sea going and had a reputation for looting and pillaging, not unlike the "conventional" type of pirates. I suspect (although I have no hard evidence) that like other types of pirates, vikings are misunderstood and gave out sweets and candy, rather than being the bloodthirsty murderers that later propagandists made them out to be.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:I've always assumed that Vikings were a sub-grouping of pirates. After all, they were sea going and had a reputation for looting and pillaging, not unlike the "conventional" type of pirates. I suspect (although I have no hard evidence) that like other types of pirates, vikings are misunderstood and gave out sweets and candy, rather than being the bloodthirsty murderers that later propagandists made them out to be.

CF

Quite possibly. Maybe the monks were jealous of the vikings' carefree lifestyle and started a libel campaign? Wearing hessian dresses and having your hair plucked out is going to make anyone bitter :whistle:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Dudeman55556 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Zeno Telos wrote:This is an incredibly important discovery. You should be given a Nobel Pasta prize for this. Given the connection between the Viking heaven brew "factory" and the Beer Volcano, I think its safe to suggest that we allow believers to dress as Vikings if they so choose when worshiping The Lord of Linguine. I have no doubt that the shrinking number of Vikings in the world is connected with the melting of the polar ice caps - since that's their homeland! Some Pastafarian scientist needs to produce the graphs and charts to prove this important fact. We can't all live in pirate ships in the future when the earth floods from all that ice melt. We need to start dressing as Vikings as well as pirates to save the polar bears and stop the rise of the seas.

peace through pasta,
Zeno

- zenotelos.com

Yay! I always liked Vikings better than stereotypical pirates.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby DaveL on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:23 am

How cool is that!!

'Booze up anyone? Hang on, O'ill just go and milk my goat.'
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Return to All Things FSM