Chuck Palahniuk

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Favorite Chuck Book?

Fight Club
50%
Invisible Monsters
14%
Survivor
7%
Choke
29%
Lullaby
No votes
Diary
No votes
Fugitives and Refugees
No votes

Total votes : 14

Chuck Palahniuk

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:51 pm

My favorite living fiction author! Any other fans out there?

(Remind me if I've forgotten some books... just checked what's on the shelf)
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Duke on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:23 pm

Definitely Fight Club, I have read a few of the other popular ones, but I like Fight Club the most. The movie was good too. Not as good as the book, though.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:50 pm

Hmm, I came to the movie first and it's about the ONLY movie I've seen that is BETTER than the book. I think the plot re-writes improved it. Then again, it's my favorite movie ever, so that makes me very biased. Didn't like the ending in the book as well.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Duke on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:32 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:Hmm, I came to the movie first and it's about the ONLY movie I've seen that is BETTER than the book. I think the plot re-writes improved it. Then again, it's my favorite movie ever, so that makes me very biased. Didn't like the ending in the book as well.

Yeah, I prefered the ending in the movie. That is one of my favorite films as well. It is like nothing else.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Spud on Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:40 am

Survivor is my favorite. It has been a while since I have read it, but I loved the damn thing. Invisible Monsters and Choke are a tie for my second favorite with Fight Club coming in third. Lullaby and Diary fall way behind in a tie for last place. I didn't enjoy either of those books very much, they are too short and seemed somewhat rushed.
Spud
Ziti Zealot

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:28 am

I like the change of style in Lullaby and Diary, since some of Chuck's books are too similar in plot and tone.

Haunted was trash, at least the novel bits. The short stories were good.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby vallerand on Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:16 am

I'd never heard of this author until this thread. Today I was checking out the new books shelf at the library and the name was at eye level. Unfortunately I see Dr O thinks the one I got is trash. Oh well I'll let you know what I think.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:17 pm

It's only relative trash. It's about the most graphic of his novels... the majority of it is short stories which are great. The "plot" connecting the stories is a little weak IMHO.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Duke on Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:46 pm

Doctor, Doctor, you have found yet another avatar. *sigh* Can't you just find something you like and stick with it? By the way, I like the book of which that image was taken from.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:53 pm

The book, the author, the actor, the movie. The image is from the movie poster... I love Ralph Steadman's artwork though.

I've had this avatar around for a while and have been meaning to use it. I need to re-gif my tessaract as the flashing red one was getting annoying. I might try to deck the tesseract with Christmas lights. I used this old F & L on a Microsoft Access forum and thought I'd ressurect it for now.

Fits the screen name, though I'm not a Doctor of Journalism.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Duke on Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:56 pm

That goodness you don't doctor journalism.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue May 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Interview with Chuck on the Phil Jupitus show

Skip to the last 30 mins or so of the show.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby FoxholeAtheist on Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:23 pm

I am a huge Chucky P fan. I've already read all of his books, and my favorite has to be Invisible Monsters. (Though its hard to say because all of the were so good). Another author I can suggest that is clost to his style is Craig Clevenger...check him out...
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
~ Thomas Jefferson

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Benjamin Franklin

FoxholeAtheist
Ziti Zealot

Postby Kra on Mon May 28, 2007 10:41 am

I liked Haunted..It was good and warped..
I cant vote on this yet, I haven't read 3 of the books up there..
read the other 4 tho, and a few others that aren't up there..
Fight Club is one of my favourite movies, but I still liked the book better..
The ending of the movie was very cool, yeah..but as a whole I preferred the book mainly because of the detail that the book had that the movie lacked..little things that I enjoyed in the book..
I'd watched the movie first and then read the book a few years later, and the book to me made a longer, better version of the movie in my mind's eye..which was awesome..
:mrgreen:
Kra
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Kra on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:12 pm

Now I've only gotta read "Fugitives and Refugees"..
Then I can vote!
Has anybody read "Rant" yet?
Kra
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors