ET Custom Title Poll

This is where we confer honor on those who have earned the title of Prophet. Or, where we mock them. One or the other.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Vote for ET's Title

Poll ended at Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Privvy Counsellor
36%
Maine Man
No votes
Lord of Litterboxes
18%
Keeper of the Scoop
No votes
Electric Kittyloo
9%
Cat-Man-Do
27%
Backwoods Philosopher
9%

Total votes : 22

Re: ET Custom Title Poll

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:50 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:I have a history book that assures me that the French on that insignia means "Honey, your stocking's falling down."

You might want to complain to the publishers. The standard interpretation is a variation on 'Shame on those who think this is shameful.'

The most popular (and almost certainly embellished) story is that Edward III was dancing with a woman when her garter fell down. The people watching started laughing so Edward, in a moment of chivalry/feminism/general oddness picked it up and tied it round his leg, saying "Shame on those who think this is shameful".

Edit - If you want to see some of the silliness that come from having history have a look at the costumes :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:38 am

daftbeaker wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote:I have a history book that assures me that the French on that insignia means "Honey, your stocking's falling down."
You might want to complain to the publishers. The standard interpretation is a variation on 'Shame on those who think this is shameful.'

Oh, come on! The book is this one!
I had been looking for a copy for years, and finally found it in Cambridge (This was before the Internet).
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Huh, I haven't heard of that one. The closest one I've got is this one.

I stand by my point about the silly costumes though :wink:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:31 am

I have heard of that book (1066 and all that), and on that copy the cover illustration is smashing.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Gosh, it's decades since I read '1066 and all that'. These days, the kids have the whole 'Horrible Histories' series, but back when I was at school, that was the only book around to relieve the tedium that was Grammar School History lessons…
:sleep:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Previous

Return to Temple of the Prophets