The Pan-Literature Game

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The Pan-Literature Game

Postby Hippie Pirate on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Rules...
1. The person who posted before you will have said a page number and a sentence number. (For example, page 42, sentence three.)
2. Grab the closest book to you, no matter what it is, and it has to be the closest, not one that you go searching for to be cool.
3. Write down the sentence that you found earlier. (In this case the third sentence on page 42.)
4. Pick a page number and sentence number for the next person.

I will go first. TtW told me to find page 73, 9th sentence.

Seeing the father of the boy she had just killed rushing toward her, Zannah acted on instinct and fired the weapon again.

Alright, whoever posts next has to post the 11th sentence on page 4.

And just for the heck of it, if you can guess what book the sentence comes from then do it. If you are right, I will give you meaningless bonus points! :jack:
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4
Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

Re: The Pan-Literature Game

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:10 pm

TPAM: Star Wars - Darth Bane; The Rule Of Two

Page 42 sentence three:

"May I remind you that the Archchancellor of this university is, by college statute, the first among equals?"

TPBM, page 177, sentence 12
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Desperate for something to do, for distraction, he slipped out of his sleeping bag, picked up his wand, and crept out of the room.

Page 240, sentence 5
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:"May I remind you that the Archchancellor of this university is, by college statute, the first among equals?"

Discworld but I'm not sure about the book, Last Continent?

Even so, following what we said in Chapter 5, it should not surprise you: the oxygen is clearly the nucleophile and the silicon the electrophile, and a new bond forms from O to Si as indicated by the arrow.

Page 28, sentence 18
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm

PK - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DB - you were close, it's from Unseen Academicals, as is the quote below.

Wizards weren't the type of people who noticed yesterday's dried egg on the plate, but Mrs. Whitlow could see it from two rooms away.

Page 402, sentence 6
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:DB - you were close, it's from Unseen Academicals, as is the quote below.

Bum. I considered UA but the first among equals sounded more of an 'early wizards' comment. Also, I don't like the direction Pratchett took with the Dean leaving, him and Ridcully were a great double act -(spoiler here)

Electronic excitation of a molecule may weaken or strengthen some bonds because bonding and antibonding characteristics differ between the HOMO and the LUMO.

Sort of cheating but the first two books I picked up both had fewer than 350 pages.

Page 54, sentence 1.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:22 pm

This is a mere sample of the total I received.

page 78, sentence 9
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 pm

As is readily seen from this diagram, little Euclid, in navigation terms, struck on course W17°21'N and rebounded on E17°21'N because (90 sin 45) / (90 cos 45 + 70 + 70) = tan 17°21'

Page 66, sentence 6
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby bacon on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:41 pm

That would have spared you a very natural anxiety.

page 72 sentence 20
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm

"Roger Stone hauled up the ladder, gathered in the trim weights, and closed the door of the airlock"

TPBM page 10, sentence 5

(Bacon+5)
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 pm

They must keep a far keener eye on the bottom line than do the giant firms.

pg 123, sentence 4
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Such an overall sharpness or flatness would not be noticed by someone without absolute pitch, but it can be distressing and even disabling to those who do have it.

page 53, sentence 11

PKMKII

Postby Hippie Pirate on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:00 pm

First of all congratulations on getting the book right TtW, you get 1 million bonus points that mean absolutely nothing.

My quote is...

To be fair though, when confronted by the sheer enormity of the distances between the stars, better minds than the one responsible for the Guide's introduction have faltered.

The next person needs page 45 sentence 13.
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4
Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:09 pm

At this point you can change the fill of the speeding object if you like.

pg 111, sentence 1

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Perhaps this is all too sentimental.

page 32, sentence 7

PKMKII

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes