Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 am

I am so glad black bart didn't see fit to mention Wales 3: Scotland 0.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Why exactly do they let Wales, Scotland (Northern Ireland?) have world cup teams, instead of just one UK team?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 pm

PKMKII wrote:Why exactly do they let Wales, Scotland (Northern Ireland?[yes, NI too]) have world cup teams, instead of just one UK team?
It is almost exactly as illogical and anachronistic as the reason the USA lets people carry guns BUT IT'S MY RIGHT AND YOU CAN'T TAKE MY RIGHTS AWAY FROM ME...[/sarcasm]

The Scottish Football Association has always been separate from the English FA, and they have always entered the World Cup as separate entities. We strenuously resist ideas like UK teams for football in the Olympics because then a precedent would have been set, and FIFA might 'impose' a UK team on us across the board.

(I say impose, because despite their protestations to the contrary, the politics of international football is like 15th century Italy or something, but with more backstabbing and double dealing going on.)
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:36 pm

I get why the various British nations want separate teams; I was asking why FIFA lets them do it.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:57 pm

PKMKII wrote:I get why the various British nations want separate teams; I was asking why FIFA lets them do it.
England competing in the World Cup pre-dates FIFA. The first World Cup competition was for the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy, which was competed for in 1909 and 1911. England (in the shape of West Auckland FC) won the 1909 competition, and successfully defended it in 1911. The FIFA World Cup didn't start until 1930.
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:04 pm

PKMKII wrote:Why exactly do they let Wales, Scotland (Northern Ireland?) have world cup teams, instead of just one UK team?

You might as well ask why Germany, Spain and France field separate teams as opposed to a 'Europe' team. Far too much rivalry and history to think about fielding a UK team. The only time UK fans are united is when one side is playing against the French :haha:

Rugby's even more confusing, the World Cup and Six Nations are contested by national sides but the Lions (formed from players across the UK) also compete in various competitions.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:50 am

Told you South Africa are rubbish...Saracens beat them last night!!!

(Mind you Saracens did have 9 South African players!)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri...

Roughly translated as:

3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0 etc etc
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:20 pm

At least the Scottish footballers aren't taking placenta baths.

PKMKII

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:12 pm

black bart wrote:Told you South Africa are rubbish...Saracens beat them last night!!!

(Mind you Saracens did have 9 South African players!)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri...

Roughly translated as:

3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0 etc etc

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am

Roy Hunter wrote:(I say impose, because despite their protestations to the contrary, the politics of international football is like 15th century Italy or something, but with more backstabbing and double dealing going on.)

And apparently, letting the French handball.

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:10 am

PKMKII wrote:And apparently, letting the French handball.

Not a particularly big deal, I refer you to the slightly more famous event. If the referee or linesmen don't see it then things just happen. Another good argument for video replays though.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:16 am

This is not going down well in my house. My wife is a huge Thierry Henry fan (she used to be a regular at Highbury, when she was at Uni in London), but she is also Irish. Fortunately, she can't find a way to blame me for it.
:grin:
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 am

daftbeaker wrote:

Not a particularly big deal, I refer you to the slightly more famous event. If the referee or linesmen don't see it then things just happen. Another good argument for video replays though.

Yeah, but you have to find a way to make sure it doesn't get abused. (American) football used to have unlimited, penalty-free video reviews, and it made the games take forever. Now they have a coach's challenge; the coach may challenge the call and ask for a review, but if it turns out that the call on the field was correct, his team gets a time out taken away.

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 am

They've been using video in rugby for a few years now. The referee also wears a microphone. It works spendidly. FOOTBALL NEEDS TO CATCH UP!
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am

PKMKII wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:Not a particularly big deal, I refer you to the slightly more famous event. If the referee or linesmen don't see it then things just happen. Another good argument for video replays though.

Yeah, but you have to find a way to make sure it doesn't get abused. (American) football used to have unlimited, penalty-free video reviews, and it made the games take forever. Now they have a coach's challenge; the coach may challenge the call and ask for a review, but if it turns out that the call on the field was correct, his team gets a time out taken away.

As Roy says, it works well in rugby. Generally the referee asks for a video call for occasions where the officials didn't have a clear view of an important moment, the teams have very little say in how it's used.

daftbeaker

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion