Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:42 pm

PKMKII wrote:
Ubi Dubius wrote:The "World" in World Series refers to the name of newspaper that sponsored the first one.

Strrrrrrike-out!!!

Hmmm. Interesting. And I had seen that in what I considered to be reliable sources. At any rate, don't I get two more strikes?
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Unbelievable! The Finnigan's Fumblers won the World Derbybowl this year over the Tigers! zI tell you, their hometown of Temperancebacon will be going off, all fourteen and a half of their population! Everyone thought they were going to be beat in the Lasertag round, but they camme back with some brilliant tactics that would have made General Hoobervader himself proud!
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:46 pm

Stop talking about Australian-rules football.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:15 am

PKMKII wrote:Stop talking about Australian-rules football.

You mean "Australian-lack-of-rules football", surely? :idiot:

Wrong sport anyway.

DTH, I backed the wrong team. :bummer:

You were right about the strip, but they obviously hadn't considered the temperature this year. :facepalm:

I am convinced it was the sweat pouring from their rubber trouserlegs that made their feet slippery, they were unable to escape the green team when the lads employed those unexpected tactics (I particularly liked Tadhg Og hAlpein's fancy twirling).
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:53 pm

So I know it's only mid-season, but re: American "I don't care what this term is used for overseas" football, Colts and Saints in the Super Bowl?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Pats rule.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:03 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Pats rule.

I agree.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Eh, the Pats are good this year, but not great. Outside of the tromping of the dismal Titans, they haven't had any shining performances. And getting held to no touchdowns in the loss to the Jets? :bored: They'll probably get to the playoffs, but I don't see them getting to the Super Bowl.

(BTW, I was wearing my Giants Super Bowl XLII hat when I went to New England last year. I got so many comments and dirty looks)

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:32 am

Arsenal are looking good this year.

If you compare them to Partick Thistle... :haha:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 am

PKMKII wrote:

Eh, the Pats are good this year, but not great. Outside of the tromping of the dismal Titans, they haven't had any shining performances. And getting held to no touchdowns in the loss to the Jets? :bored: They'll probably get to the playoffs, but I don't see them getting to the Super Bowl.

(BTW, I was wearing my Giants Super Bowl XLII hat when I went to New England last year. I got so many comments and dirty looks)

I dono, PK, the Colts have lost some key players in the defensive secondary coming into this weekend's game with the Pats. With two high-powered passing offenses going at it the defense is probably going to dictate the winner. The Pats' running game is improving weekly, and Brady looks to have his confidence back after the year off. Should be a heluva game, nest pa?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 am

Lions and Raiders. I got great odds.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby PKMKII on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Here's one for the highlight reel: Nawaf Al Abed, a striker for the Saudi (soccer) football team Al Hilal, scored a goal a mere 2 seconds into the match.

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:53 am

Partick Thistle should sign him up immediately.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:12 am

black bart wrote:Partick Thistle should sign him up immediately.
Partick Thistle can't afford him. They are still living with the financial fallout of having to build a 10,000-seat stadium in order to go up to the SPL in 2001. They ended up in debt, couldn't buy players, and were relegated again. Since then Inverness Caledonian Thistle have joined the SPL and whaddya know? They didn't have to build a 10,000 seat stadium.
:furious:

PTFC could probably run to buying some pishy wee defender from, ooh let's say, Swansea City maybe?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:24 am

Now see, there's your problem, how can you expect people to take the team seriously in the top division when they're named after a plant?

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion