Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:51 am

Well, I support Partick Thistle football club. They're not very good, but they are not Rangers or Celtic, and it's character-building to support a small team that doesn't do so well. OK, maybe I'm being a little harsh on them. At the time of writing, they are sitting fifth in the Scottish First Division (which is the second division in Scotland - there's the Premier League above that) on 19 points, just 6 points off the top (Queen of the South, who made the Scottish Cup final in 2008).

There has been a lot of talk about Rangers and Celtic joining the English leagues, as they are two big fish in the same small pond. Good. Cheerio, then! Their presence in the Scottish leagues impoverishes the rest of the game as far as I am concerned. No-one aspires to play for Thistle, or Morton, or Cowdenbeath, because they all want to play for Rangers and Celtic. Get rid of them, I say. And take their sectarian :furious: -hole supporters with them.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 am

I cannot believe you've admitted being a Partick Thistle fan again! :haha:

Seriously though, I'm a Swansea City fan so I know all about pain and I agree with you it IS character building. I hate seeing British kids wearing Barcelona kits and stuff.

I'm with Elvalia on the rugby as well...of course being Welsh...the greatest rugby nation on earth!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:45 am

black bart wrote:I got a hockey ball in the eye once...didn't see that coming but I did hear Raj Singh shouting 'Oy Roberts' before he hit the ball with his carbon fibre hockey stick! :facewall:

I once hit a mate between the eyes with a frisbee. Amusingly enough, if I hadn't shouted a warning he wouldn't have turned round and it probably would have missed him :guilty:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:38 am

Only thing I know about rugby, is that the New Zealand All-Blacks are supposedly good at it.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:46 am

black bart wrote:I'm with Elvalia on the rugby as well...of course being Welsh...the greatest rugby nation on earth!

I must have missed that. Have the South Africans been informed?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:07 am

South who? :guilty:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:00 am

The Sarth Efricans Bart, they narrowly beat the English for the Rugby World Cup. Or were you enjoying the Brains a bit too much to remember? :drinking:

daftbeaker

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:54 am

How bout them Boston Celtics? 5-0, average margin of victory 22 points!
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:49 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:How bout them Boston Celtics? 5-0, average margin of victory 22 points!

If they wear Plastic Helmets and Shoulder pads it doesn't count.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:14 am

black bart wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:How bout them Boston Celtics? 5-0, average margin of victory 22 points!

If they wear Plastic Helmets and Shoulder pads it doesn't count.

OK. They wear neither Plastic Helmits nor Shoulder pads.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:19 am

Damn Yankees bought themselves another World Series win. Now the NYC douchebags have an excuse to be even douchier (doucheier?).
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:21 am

PKMKII wrote:Damn Yankees bought themselves another World Series win. Now the NYC douchebags have an excuse to be even douchier (doucheier?).

Has anyone told the rest of the world? American teams seem to win every year.

daftbeaker

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:25 am

daftbeaker wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Damn Yankees bought themselves another World Series win. Now the NYC douchebags have an excuse to be even douchier (doucheier?).

Except for the World Classic, where the U.S. gets pwned because all of our great major league baseball players are actually from various Caribbean islands and Japan.

PKMKII

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:25 am

daftbeaker wrote:

The "World" in World Series refers to the name of newspaper that sponsored the first one.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:

The "World" in World Series refers to the name of newspaper that sponsored the first one.

Strrrrrrike-out!!!

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion