Important Question.

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Important Question.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:44 pm

"and then i became insane, with long periods of terrible sanity"
~E.A.P
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Dudeman55556 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:33 pm

You guys are weird. Of course, at this website, it's kind of expected.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:24 am

Dudeman55556 wrote:You guys are weird. Of course, at this website, it's kind of expected.

And there was much rejoicing (ImageImageImage)

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey! We havent eaten the minstrels yet!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby LibraLabRat on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:21 am

I ate one of the small ones.....I am making leftover minstrel hash, if anyone is interested. :whistle:
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Robbobrob on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Mmmm, Minstrels.

and now for something completely different...

:jack:
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby LibraLabRat on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 am

Sometimes when I see shows about politics or here some of these young knuckleheads at the college talking about their political aspirations and ideals, I picture the peasants from Holy Grail shouting "Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help!Help! Im being repressed!"
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:16 pm

My biggest problem with the youngins at the university is how naive they are. One young woman reacted with sheer horror when i told her that Robert Frost, her favorite "christian" poet, wasn't necessarily a christian. Another had "system failure" flashing in her right eye when she tried to butt-in on a conversation we were having about religion by saying "The story of Lilith is nothing but hebrew midrash" and i said "Apply that logic to the rest of the bible and then we'll talk". A young man in one of my classes didn't like it when i laughed at him because he said he thought that he could expect to make between $85,000 and $120,000 per year with his undergraduate degree in psychology.....

Morons.
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:41 am

Scott the Pirate wrote:A young man in one of my classes didn't like it when i laughed at him because he said he thought that he could expect to make between $85,000 and $120,000 per year with his undergraduate degree in psychology.....
Ah, the innocence of youth. Would you like fries with that, sir?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:06 pm

I've said this before but, even worse, my alma mater offers a B.A. in psych for those students for whom a B.A.S. curriculum is to difficult... Some of them have complained that "Intro to Stats" is too dificult for a B.A. and should not be required.

:furious:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby bacon on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:07 pm

at least you can get a bs in psych in your state - our state considers psychology an art (even with the stats and science courses that i took)
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Scott the Pirate on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 pm

I had to take things like "Anatomy/Physiology", "Physiology of Brain States", "Experimental Design", and "Neurochemistry and Abnormal Psychology". They can take "Transpersonal Psychology" where you spend one class per week in "meditation", one class talking about what you wrote in your "meditation journals" and one class listening to the "professor" about how people in different cultures meditate....
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby bacon on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:39 pm

are you kidding me?
i had to take so many in-depth psychology classes and they get to meditate? even had to do an internship!!!!!! and no bs - why - that's just . . . um . . . bs :confused:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:52 pm

I got an BA (Hons.) [that's 4 years], and in order to qualify to join the BPS, the regulatory body for psychology, I had to do modules in quantitative and qualitative methods; experimental design and scientific method; perception and cognition; logic and reasoning; developmental psychology; neuroanatomy and neurobiology; and clinical and abnormal psychology. No meditation. No healing. No 'mystic crystal revelations'.

They now do a BSc [that's 3 years] in psychology, but you need the 4 years and all the module boxes ticked in years 3 and 4 in order to qualify for BPS membership. Psychologist is a reserved title, unlike psychotherapist. You don't register with the BPS, you ain't a psychologist (I'm still not one, though).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 am

Roy Hunter wrote:… Psychologist is a reserved title, unlike psychotherapist. You don't register with the BPS, you ain't a psychologist (I'm still not one, though).

Oh good. I'd hate to have to start disliking you… :tongue:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM