Hacking road signs in the name of the FSM

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Hacking road signs in the name of the FSM

Postby Dudeman55556 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:08 pm

A while ago me and captain spork hacked a road sign and made it say "FSM bless you" among other things. Admittedly, it wasnt being used at the time (it wasn't facing the road), but it was still fun. Here are some pictures:

"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Re: Hacking road signs in the name of the FSM

Postby Dudeman55556 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Dudeman55556 wrote:A while ago me and captain spork hacked a road sign and made it say "FSM bless you" among other things. Admittedly, it wasnt being used at the time (it wasn't facing the road), but it was still fun. Here are some pictures:

Edit: We only put "legalize pot" up because a homeless guy requested it. Because, of course, we're angels and don't ever do anything illegal.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:18 am

That's pretty damn funny that is!!!!
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Forget funny, I want hacking instructions! These damn things are lying all over the highlands. All I need to do is put a yellow beacon light on the roof of my car, put on my fluorescent vest, and I'll look like I'm legitimately programming the thing...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Dudeman55556 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 pm

You don't even need to look ligit by putting a reflective vest on. Nobody calls the cops on you, cause if you do it right, it just looks like youre loitering and sitting on the sign. Just pull the keypad out of the sign, so you dont have your arms in it

It works best on signs with plastic lids. It's usually padlocked, but you can just pry the edge of the plastic up and grab the control panel.

This sign doesnt work very well because it's hard to break into:
But feel free to try.

This sign is what you want to look for:

It has a plastic cover which you can pry up. The keypad is close to one of the wheels. Try not to electrocute yourself. The risk is very low, but there are sometimes a few exposed places with electrical charge. Just don't touch any unpainted metal and you'll be fine.

Anyway, here are the (somewhat skimpy) instructions: http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/274/48/

Also, I reccomend changing the password after hacking it. And, by navigating to the "instant message" menu and pressing the escape key a whole bunch of times, you can freeze the keypad. Do this after changing the password. The only way to unfreeze it is to turn the sign off and on again.

The red circle is where the keypad usually is.
The arrow is pointing to where the power switch is (in case you accidentally freeze your sign in the middle of hacking it).
The red "X" indicates where there is what looks like a power button, but it doesn't seem to do anything, so just ignore it. If youre trying to turn the sign off, use the power switch.

Oops, did I just publically admit to a crime? Was it a crime? The sign wasn't in use, and we didn't damage it in any way, (we didn't even change the password!). So I dunno. Ubi Dubium, or was it Ubi Dubius, or something, aren't you a lawyer? Did I violate any laws?

Edit: Sorry for double posting earlier, I meant to edit the existing post.
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:15 pm

A proper hacker would do it with his cell phone from a car parked several hundred feet down the road.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Dudeman55556 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:A proper hacker would do it with his cell phone from a car parked several hundred feet down the road.

That's simply not possible. These road signs have no way of connecting with your cell phone. No internet, or any kind of wireless receiver. So we're stuck with breaking into it.

It's still just as fun, though. Maybe even more. And actually, I wouldn't really call this hacking. All it is is exploiting a physical design flaw (plastic covers), and guessing/resetting the password.
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm

Dudeman55556 wrote:Oops, did I just publically admit to a crime? Was it a crime? The sign wasn't in use, and we didn't damage it in any way, (we didn't even change the password!). So I dunno. Ubi Dubium, or was it Ubi Dubius, or something, aren't you a lawyer? Did I violate any laws?

Probably. A traffic violation or a misdemeanor. If your "hacking" causes a distraction to drivers, you are creating a hazard. You could be interfering with a government agent in the performance of his duties. I've heard of those violations, but not knowing what jurisdiction you are in and engaging in several hundred dollars of research, I couldn't say for sure.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Dudeman55556 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:
Dudeman55556 wrote:Oops, did I just publically admit to a crime? Was it a crime? The sign wasn't in use, and we didn't damage it in any way, (we didn't even change the password!). So I dunno. Ubi Dubium, or was it Ubi Dubius, or something, aren't you a lawyer? Did I violate any laws?

Probably. A traffic violation or a misdemeanor. If your "hacking" causes a distraction to drivers, you are creating a hazard. You could be interfering with a government agent in the performance of his duties. I've heard of those violations, but not knowing what jurisdiction you are in and engaging in several hundred dollars of research, I couldn't say for sure.

It wasn't causing a distraction to drivers because it wasn't facing the road. None of the drivers could see it, only the people in the park.
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Dudeman55556 wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:A proper hacker would do it with his cell phone from a car parked several hundred feet down the road.

That's simply not possible. These road signs have no way of connecting with your cell phone. No internet, or any kind of wireless receiver. So we're stuck with breaking into it.

Nonsense. James Bond would do it from his cell phone. He'd make it blow up with his cell phone, too.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Dudeman55556 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:49 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Dudeman55556 wrote:

Nonsense. James Bond would do it from his cell phone. He'd make it blow up with his cell phone, too.

Nonsense. James bond has better things to do than blow up petty road signs. And besides, James Bond isn't a "proper hacker". He's a spy.
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Dudeman55556 wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Nonsense. James Bond would do it from his cell phone. He'd make it blow up with his cell phone, too.

Nonsense. James bond has better things to do than blow up petty road signs. And besides, James Bond isn't a "proper hacker". He's a spy.

C'mon, he'd do it as part of some hugely convoluted plan to assassinate the King of Malta for issuing a stamp honoring Bob Geldoff in direct violation of international law.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Dudeman55556 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:30 am

Dudeman55556 wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Nonsense. James Bond would do it from his cell phone. He'd make it blow up with his cell phone, too.

C'mon, he'd do it as part of some hugely convoluted plan to assassinate the King of Malta for issuing a stamp honoring Bob Geldoff in direct violation of international law.

Maybe so. But james bond is a movie character, and this is real life. So HA!
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:39 am

Dudeman55556 wrote:Maybe so. But james bond is a movie character, and this is real life. So HA!

Phooey. Next you'll be trying to convince me that there's no Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Dudeman55556 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 am

Dudeman55556 wrote:Maybe so. But james bond is a movie character, and this is real life. So HA!

Phooey. Next you'll be trying to convince me that there's no Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny.

Er... I think we need to have a little talk...
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Next

Return to All Things FSM