Piers Anthony Books

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Piers Anthony Books

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm rereading the Xanth series and am really loving the puns and absurdities! Anyone have any favorite books or quotes?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Re: Piers Anthony Books

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Recommended Series...

Xanth: Fun, but as the series progressed Mr. Anthony seems to have overpopulated the books with puns to the detriment of the storyline (in my opinion) with the past 3-6 books. And since main characters don't die (only fade away), and since each book has multiple main characters (often newly introduced), and with the advent of multiple triplet births, it is getting quite crowded.

Incarnations of Immortality: Excellent series. Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature - they are not merely personifications, but offices with duties performed by the officeholders, who change from time to time. Everything ties together in a deceptively convoluted way.

Apprentice Adept: Alternate realities of magic and science, occupying the same space but in different planes. Society, history, and culture on both sides are interesting, well thought out, and very unique. Storyline is quite good too.

Battle Circle: Older series by Mr. Anthony. Post apocalyptic, societal structure is very well though out by the author. Layers within layers... Highly recommended for content. Writing style was good but not excellent.

Recommended single books:

Ghost: been a while since I read it, but I always enjoy it when re-reading.

Prostho Plus: Kidnapped by aliens, an Earth dentist makes his way across the galaxy, blundering from mouth to mouth. Humorous, entertaining, and oddly educational on dentistry and tooth care.

But What of Earth: Originally produced as a collaboration with all sorts of unauthorized edits and ridiculousness, republished in the original form with massive footnotes regarding how the novel was treated by the proofreaders, editor, and editing author. Decent story, and explains much of Mr. Anthony's dislike for cri-tics and editors.

Hard Sell: Hero of the story is a blindingly average guy, stumbling along. Well thought out book universe...fun concepts, light reading.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Edd on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:24 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Prostho Plus: Kidnapped by aliens, an Earth dentist makes his way across the galaxy, blundering from mouth to mouth. Humorous, entertaining, and oddly educational on dentistry and tooth care.

One of my favorites, as well. Very entertaining.

I thoroughly enjoyed Macroscope, one of his serious ones.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:09 pm

As far as the Incarnations series, i was NOT impressed by And Eternity.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Edd on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Yeah, the series could have ended perfectly well without it. Normally, Anthony doesn't shy away from controversy but that one seemed almost apologetic.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors