2010 Census and FSM

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: 2010 Census and FSM

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:11 pm

MRI was no big deal, if I hadn't been in such extreme pain I would probably have fallen asleep. Tig, only positive thoughts, please. If you want to have an out-of-body experience while they're surgerizing you, feel free to take over my mind for a while. I don't use it much anyhow.

You'll be fine. Anything less and I'll have to smack the doctor around, and he doesn't want that. :fsm_punching_bag:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks everyone, you really are the greatest! :jack:

As for pain meds, I'm in constant pain anyway as I'm not allowed the stuff that I can tolerate and I'm unable to tolerate any stuff which I'm allowed. :grumpy:

I was given morphine before; it basically failed to remove my pain but removed my ability to complain about it. Nice for the nurses, I suppose, but not so good for me!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:You know what scares the sh*t out of me? That big-ass, noisy MRI. Sitting in a tube that's only a bit bigger than the width of my shoulders with thoughts like "tumor" and "clot" and "stroke" running through my head. Not a good time.

Oooh, toys :scientist: Is it bad that I immediately wondered what injury I'd need an MRI for? Not that I'd want to go near one now anyway given the metal content of my leg.

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:As for pain meds, I'm in constant pain anyway as I'm not allowed the stuff that I can tolerate and I'm unable to tolerate any stuff which I'm allowed. :grumpy:

I was given morphine before; it basically failed to remove my pain but removed my ability to complain about it. Nice for the nurses, I suppose, but not so good for me!

That's very odd, why aren't you allowed any of the fun stuff?

Also, I've never heard of sufficient morphine failing to remove pain :confused: Were you administering it yourself or was it a doctor and syringe job?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:40 pm

[quote="ET, the Extra Terrestrial"]MRI was no big deal, if I hadn't been in such extreme pain I would probably have fallen asleep./quote]

It wasn't the machine as much as it was being trapped and incredibly anxious at the same time. I'd gotten so dizzy at school that i had to get campus security to help me to health services.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:MRI was no big deal, if I hadn't been in such extreme pain I would probably have fallen asleep./quote]

It wasn't the machine as much as it was being trapped and incredibly anxious at the same time. I'd gotten so dizzy at school that i had to get campus security to help me to health services.

I've been in a cave that was way more confining, a part called the "gun barrel". 45 or so feet long, about half the space that the MRI machine had. Had to pick which arm to lead with, because you couldn't change arms until you came out the other end. Best not drop the flashlight. :shocked:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Scott the Pirate on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:15 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I've been in a cave that was way more confining, a part called the "gun barrel". 45 or so feet long, about half the space that the MRI machine had. Had to pick which arm to lead with, because you couldn't change arms until you came out the other end. Best not drop the flashlight. :shocked:

:worship:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:02 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I've been in a cave that was way more confining, a part called the "gun barrel". 45 or so feet long, about half the space that the MRI machine had. Had to pick which arm to lead with, because you couldn't change arms until you came out the other end. Best not drop the flashlight. :shocked:
No thanks. I'll walk up ten flights rather than take the elevator. I tried to watch the movie 'The Descent' but felt nauseous even before the scarily claustrophobic bits.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 pm

I was in a cave like that once, when I was 10 or 11. It had this very, very narrow part you could squeeze through to get to a small room in the cave. Went with my boy scout troop; pretty much every one of them on the way to the cave were talking about how they were going to go through the narrow bit, but in the end all of them chickened out, except one other kid and me. It was so narrow that, with a helmet on, my chin was pressed into the mud the whole way through.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:54 pm

I had an MRI once. They told me that the dye they would inject me with might give me a "warm sensation". I only felt the warm sensation in my groin area. For the whole MRI process I was convinced that I had pissed myself.

It was nice for once to find out that I actually didn't piss myself.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Anyway, what did we decide "pastafarian" or "atheist" or just "No religion"?
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Helios Ra on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:15 pm

I think Agnostic/Atheist would probably be better for the vast majority of us. I think some recent polls have shown and explosion in self-proclaimed agnostics or atheists, so it might be smart to bolster that. While it would be fun to answer Pastafarian, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, et cetera, (which are basically the same as Agnostic/Atheist), you can be sure the nobody's going to add Agnostic/Atheist with Pastafarian to get accurate numbers of actual Agnostic/Atheists. Unless we manage to do some big publicity stunts. :mob:
I got nothing.
Helios Ra
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Dudeman55556 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:43 pm

I say, if you are going to put down pastafarian, put down "pastafarian (FSM)".
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:50 am

Helios Ra wrote:I think Agnostic/Atheist would probably be better for the vast majority of us. I think some recent polls have shown and explosion in self-proclaimed agnostics or atheists, so it might be smart to bolster that. While it would be fun to answer Pastafarian, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, et cetera, (which are basically the same as Agnostic/Atheist), you can be sure the nobody's going to add Agnostic/Atheist with Pastafarian to get accurate numbers of actual Agnostic/Atheists. Unless we manage to do some big publicity stunts. :mob:

Speak for yourself! I have decided to put Pastafarian, or CoFSM on all forms - but I am neither agnostic nor atheist, so why would I put that instead?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Reverend RA on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:31 am

Tigger is right you must put Pastafarian. Although the FSM is a kindly being I advise against not following your heart, as his and her patience is not infinite.
Give a man a packet of spaghetti and he can give his family food for a day. But give that man a spaghetti plant and he can give his whole village something to talk about.
Reverend RA
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:38 pm

"His and her"? In addition to being a Pastafarian, I don't suppose you're also a follower of the Nine-Headed Cave Cow? :twisted:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM