Pastafarian greetings

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Pastafarian greetings

Postby edpsych42 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am

Dear fellow Pastafarians,
I've noticed that many other religious and cultural groups have recognized greetings that identify them, and enquire on the well-being of others and wish them peace etc. I was thinking that we should have one as well and then recently came across what I think might be a suitable candidate, both in its frame of reference and general sense of joie de vivre.
It's an old nautical greeting - obviously appropriate - the full meaning of which has been lost over the years, which makes it even better in my book, giving it almost koan like qualities. The exchange I heard went:-

Q: " How are your futtocks old man?"
A: "At their furthest reach dear boy, at their furthest reach."

Any opinions?
edpsych42
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Pastafarian greetings

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Good one, but…

It's all very well if neither are wenches, but what if one or both greeters are? :confused:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:06 pm

Does RAmen work as a greeting?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Dudeman55556 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:12 pm

PKMKII wrote:Does RAmen work as a greeting?

No, it is similar to the christian "Amen" in the respect that it is used for closing prayers, and not much else.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby edpsych42 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 am

I'm sure it can be freely adapted for either gender. But the we might wish to free terms like 'man', 'boy', 'chap' etc from the burden of gender. Associations.
Ramen
edpsych42
Conchigliette Convert

Postby edpsych42 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:14 am

Apologies everyone for the poor typing in that last post. I'm tapping away on my iPod with mere thumbs. If only I was blessed with noodly appendages.
May your futtocks be at their furthest reach.
Ed
yup, I like the sound of that.
edpsych42
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Horace Hogsnort on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:04 pm

For those inquiring minds that want to know, "futtock" is correctly pronounced "FUTuck" (phonetically, of course) with the "u" being the "short" sound you get when you say "Uh", as in "Uh..........how do I pronounce this word?"
Horace Hogsnort
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Horace Hogsnort wrote:For those inquiring minds that want to know, "futtock" is correctly pronounced "FUTuck" (phonetically, of course) with the "u" being the "short" sound you get when you say "Uh", as in "Uh..........how do I pronounce this word?"

As is designated by the 'u' being followed by a double consonent 'tt', which always has the effect of allowing the preceding vowel to retain its sound, rather than being forced into its name by any following vowel.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Return to All Things FSM