Like or Hate Watchmen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Like or Hate Watchmen?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:07 am

April 4: Went to Supanova, picked up the graphic novel of Watchmen. Saw four guys dressed as Rorschach. Took photos on phone. Got another photo with him. Can't show real face. Impostors are everywhere.

A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Yep. Qwerty has it.

One thing that changed a bit is how Jackie Earle Haley made Rorschach, in my opinion, too awesome. Isn't Rorschach supposed to be a bit horrifying and pitiable as well?

He kinda is in the comic.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I believe it was Tim Buckley who said it this way... It's a supplement to the comic.

Read the comic, then you get to watch the movie, and see (parts of) it acted out with wonderful visuals.

Seeing the movie by itself isn't going to be anywhere near as good. It's probably one of the best adaptation movies in the last 10 years. Not quite as good as LOTR, but perhaps of Harry Potter. Sure, there's some issues and things we'd rather they hadn't done, but all in all it's a good translation from text to screen.
I agree with you in all aspects other than it being as good an adaptation as Harry Potter. Zack Snyder left out little in Watchmen, but with Harry Potter, it was like the director just stripped down everything but the basic plot. Sure, Snyder left out some of the most interesting bits, like the "word on the street" type thing with the Newstand vendor that provided a bit of context, but it was still a very good adaptation.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Clifford on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:April 4: Went to Supanova, picked up the graphic novel of Watchmen. Saw four guys dressed as Rorschach. Took photos on phone. Got another photo with him. Can't show real face. Impostors are everywhere.

lol I saw one in the student union one night, it was epic. He should have gone to the dance floor
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:32 am

Hey, if anyone here is up to date in Naruto, (the manga) then one will notice correlations with the "grand plan" of Watchmen to that of Naruto. It's quite interesting.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:38 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Hey, if anyone here is up to date in Naruto, (the manga) then one will notice correlations with the "grand plan" of Watchmen to that of Naruto. It's quite interesting.

:facepalm:

You did not just compare the great Alan Moore to Naruto...

*cries*
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:49 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Hey, if anyone here is up to date in Naruto, (the manga) then one will notice correlations with the "grand plan" of Watchmen to that of Naruto. It's quite interesting.

:facepalm:

You did not just compare the great Alan Moore to Naruto...

*cries*
No no no, don't be silly. Just that there is the possibility that Kishimoto Masashi stole the idea.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Vezon on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:40 am

I've never seen the movie but I'm a big fan of the comic book
There's nothing to fear but spam itself.
Vezon
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Valanthe on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:30 pm

I enjoyed the movie. I never know quite what to expect going in to a comic adaptation film, but I thought they did a good job with Watchmen. Of course, one of the problems is that there is a lot of detail in the graphic novel, so they had to leave some things out, but this was a much better adaptation than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:00 pm

I quite liked it. The bits that were a faithful copy of the book were awesome, some of the bits they left out were a bit meh and some I missed. The most glaring change to me was when Rorshach is recounting what he did to the kidnapper and the quick death with the cleaver was much less jarring and sadistic than leaving him a hacksaw and burning the place down.

Dr Manhattan's floating clockwork on Mars was excellently done and Rorshach's mask was brilliant as well, I hadn't realised in the book that it's supposed to flow and that gave me a bit of a shock when I first saw it.

I preferred the film ending to the book, it seemed much more plausible.

Agreed on Rorshach being more likable, he struck me as very similar to John McClane from Die Hard whereas in the book he seemed more pitiable and unpredictable. The books gave me the impression he was barely clinging on to his sanity while the film made him look more typical macho action-hero.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed it and need to get the DVD.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Valanthe on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:54 pm

If you're looking for parallels in story, check out the original Outer Limits episode, The Architects of Fear. Really close parallels there that are even vaguely referenced in the graphic novel.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I would have loved to have seen the novel adapted unabridged , a three part series that Gilliam had in mind would have been most awesome .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Grey on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Loooooove the movie. I will buy it as soon as it hits dirt cheap. Could NOT get through the comic. Rorschach was nails-to-chalk board that first bit and I couldn't continue.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am

I enjoyed the film thoroughly but the Graphic Novel is superb.

Shame they left the Pirate bit out in the movie but I guess that would have made the film too long.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:22 am

black bart wrote:I enjoyed the film thoroughly but the Graphic Novel is superb.

Shame they left the Pirate bit out in the movie but I guess that would have made the film too long.

I think the pirate bit was also a set-up for the graphic novelist who Ozymandias was using to design his bizarre 'alien' thing. When the end of the plot changed they didn't need the alien and so didn't need the lead-up to it. (hidden in case someone hasn't read it).

That and it might have confused people.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors