Pirates descended from vikings?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Pirates descended from vikings?

Postby Dudeman55556 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:05 pm

As we all know, we all descended from pirates. But what came before pirates? Recently at a Scandinavian festival, the truth came to me. People out of pirates, pirates out of vikings! They share many traits, such as scarce bathing, raiding small coastal towns :fsm_yarr: , drinking a lot :drinking: and general awesomeness. Pirates swore a lot, and as some of you might know, many english swear words, like shit and ass to mention a few, originally were Scandinavian words. I even once saw a guy wearing an FSM shirt and a viking hat.

Plus, look at techno viking.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Re: Pirates descended from vikings?

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:24 pm

I see your reasoning, and on the surface it has merit. However the Gospel of the FSM tells us pirates have always been around.

I postulate that vikings were instead an evolutionary offshoot of the pirate. This is supported by the fact that most of the viking population were involved in looting and pillaging, and Scandanavia is cold - cause: effect.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm with CF on this one! Actually, I think I'm with her on most, if not ALL things. Very clever, our CF! :smile:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Clifford on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 am

Mmm, a good argument there, but I agree with CF.

I put Vikings as a type of pirate, alongside Vandals for example.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Dudeman55556 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Clifford wrote:I put Vikings as a type of pirate, alongside Vandals for example.

I guess that makes sense. But in that case, we need a new viking smiley. The pirate one just doesnt work for that. :fsm_yarr:
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:05 pm

You mean like:

CF

Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Cool! (Except that vikings didn't have horned helmets. That's a Victorian myth.)
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Sure they did (and do!). Well, painted on, anyway. Here's a picture:

Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:Cool! (Except that vikings didn't have horned helmets. That's a Victorian myth.)

Would this be the same Victorian myth that says pirates were ruthless bloodthirsty robbers, not lovely people who gave sweets to kids...

CF

Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Tigger_the_Wing wrote:Cool! (Except that vikings didn't have horned helmets. That's a Victorian myth.)

Would this be the same Victorian myth that says pirates were ruthless bloodthirsty robbers, not lovely people who gave sweets to kids...

CF

Probably! :wink:

Remember, though, only the other side in the frequent wars between European countries had pirates.

Our side (whichever that was) had 'privateers'; i.e. captains and crews not part of the official Navy that nonetheless would attack enemy shipping. Which was good. :fsm_yarr:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Clifford on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Clifford likes this
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Dudeman55556 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:You mean like:

CF

That's amazing! But now someone needs to add it to the smilies thing.
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby tyop on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Silly noobling. Pirate : generic as Viking : specific. One could generically say they are in the military without necessarily specifying which branch. There are Vikings (rape and pillage), Carribean Pirates (gold, slaves, warmer weather), Butt Pirates (another kind of booty), Somalian Pirates (rice, boats full of no-name brand cheap products, old computers), Software and Media Pirates (pre-release cam videos of movies in theaters now, expensive software cracked and released for free), the list never ends.
The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.
tyop
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 pm

This thread seems to be wandering away from its original subject. The most casual observer can easily see the intent of the OP (followed nicely by the first few replies) was to have a discussion about people and things vaguely related to pirates, that begin with the letter "V". I see Vikings, Vandals, and Victorian myths. Vikings were vicious, as I'm sure you all remember, and usually victorious in their raids. They succeeded in establishing the colony of Vinland (now Iceland) by settling various viable villages. When they died, they looked forward to Valhalla.

I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the Vandals. Perhaps someone else can give a brief synopsis.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:29 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:This thread seems to be wandering away from its original subject. The most casual observer can easily see the intent of the OP (followed nicely by the first few replies) was to have a discussion about people and things vaguely related to pirates, that begin with the letter "V". I see Vikings, Vandals, and Victorian myths. Vikings were vicious, as I'm sure you all remember, and usually victorious in their raids. They succeeded in establishing the colony of Vinland (now Iceland) by settling various viable villages. When they died, they looked forward to Valhalla.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the Vandals. Perhaps someone else can give a brief synopsis.

I'm looking into it…

Vandals were allied to Visigoths. They may have lived in Vendel (Sweden) by the shores of lake Vanërn? or Vendsyssel (Denmark). They once had a king called Visimar. They were vicious, vagrant, vagabonds during the reigns of the Roman emperors Valens, Valerian and Valentinian III. They may have drunk Valpolicella when vandalising valuable vinyards during the valise* of Rome.

*OK, sack. :whistle:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Next

Return to All Things FSM