Barbary Corsairs

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Barbary Corsairs

Postby Reverend RA on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:45 am

I am an ordained minister in the United Ecumenical Ministry and a world renown historian with many published historical flyers to my name. I was therefore very curious to hear of your groups interest in Pirates as that has been a subject I have devoted my last 20 years to. Following extensive research I have come to the conclusion that the Barbary Corsairs were in fact an elite naval emergency service devoted to rescuing sailors in distress. This theory is further supported by the fact that Henri Dunant, the founder of the ICRC had business connections in Algeria (which is very close to Morocco). Many documents pertaining to their great deeds were destroyed in the 1829 shelling of the port of Rabat by Austrian mercenaries jealous of their humanitarian status. I would like to thank your group for addressing this historical inaccuracy and if anyone has examples of their charitable deeds I would be very interested to read them.

Reverend Richard Ainsworth DD Phd - Archbishop of the Ancient Parish of Leret.
Give a man a packet of spaghetti and he can give his family food for a day. But give that man a spaghetti plant and he can give his whole village something to talk about.
Reverend RA
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: Barbary Corsairs

Postby DaveL on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:44 pm

YArrr...

Welcome aboard matey.The Carribean pirate version tends to get all the popular attention these days.
So it's most interestin to hear the history of our North African friends.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby black bart on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:03 am

That would be an Ecumenical Matter.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Oi beleeves as Thee Rite Revrun Monseenyer 'Canon' O'Hanlon be a member ov that group....

I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 am

Why as thee blighter got a Santa outfit on?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Reverend RA on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:25 am

pieces o'nine wrote:Oi beleeves as Thee Rite Revrun Monseenyer 'Canon' O'Hanlon be a member ov that group....

Thank you for all the encouraging comments. I am researching Canon O'Hanlon, unfortunately a common name among the Barbary Corsairs, but have already found some promising records.

From this research I have discovered some interesting papers concerning the Cosairs campaign to abolish slavery along the west coast of Africa but I am not quite ready to disclose the final results.

Reverend RA DD PhD. Founder and Honorary Chairperson of the United Kingdom Religious Advisory Panel.
Give a man a packet of spaghetti and he can give his family food for a day. But give that man a spaghetti plant and he can give his whole village something to talk about.
Reverend RA

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 am

As ye come accross Cap'n Cronan in yer researches matey? He was always floatin around thee Barbara Coast.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:27 am

hang on a mo...Rev,

ye be an himposter...

Ye first claimed ta be Archbishop of the Ancient Parish of Leret.

and now ye says ye be:

Founder and Honorary Chairperson of the United Kingdom Religious Advisory Panel.

We gets more sense outta Nef Yoo!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Reverend RA on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 am

black bart wrote:hang on a mo...Rev,

ye be an himposter...

Ye first claimed ta be Archbishop of the Ancient Parish of Leret.

and now ye says ye be:

Founder and Honorary Chairperson of the United Kingdom Religious Advisory Panel.

We gets more sense outta Nef Yoo!

No please do not misunderestimate me, as member of the Medieval Order of Metaphysical Knights I am obligated to always tell the truth. These honours (and the considerable financial renumeration that accompany them) mean nothing to a humble Archbishop devoted to a life of service.

Thank you for enlightening me about Captain Cronan as soon as my pastoral duties are completed for the day I will see what information I can discover about this interesting gentleman.

Archbishop RA of Leret and Lord Provest of Leddrede.
Reverend RA

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:02 am

By thee pillars o Madame Fifi's porch...ye's got more titles than Roger Federer!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Reverend RA on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:33 am

I discovered this exciting sketch in the Parish archives. I believe it to be dated circa 1832 and is Captain Cronin (1806-1840), Master Pirate of the Guild of Honourable Pirates - Barbary Coast Branch, a direct descendant of the notorious 16th century buccaneer Captain Cronin and renown heavy drinker and layabout. A deeply spiritual man who during his short but troubled life embraced all the Great Religions. Little, if nothing, is known of his great deeds but world historians are unanimously agreed that he might have done some. His untimely death at the age 34 is shrouded in controversy, accidentally (it is claimed) impaled with his own cutlass by his mistress during a drunken esoteric initiation ritual his last words were reported to be "I be goin' t' meet me maker, I needs a bowl o' spaghetti." This has been a matter of fierce debate among theologians ever since as the word spaghetti is not recorded until 1849, nine years after his death, it is however generally agreed by some Christian scholars that he was misheard and almost certainly was requesting the last rites.

In the sketch, which the good Captain was gracious enough to pose for, the Jolly Roger can be seen flying in the background as a tribute to the Captains pilgrimage to Leret during an extensive goodwill visit of British naval ports (1831-36).

Rev RA.
Reverend RA

Postby black bart on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:39 am

Aaarrgh...any idea where he hid his treasure matey...here be a tale from the Far Fetched Archives wot moight give us a clue:

Another tale of ...Capn Cronan's Treasure

YYYAAARRRRRR many's the young pirate what's dreamed of findin Cap'n Cronan's Treasure. The man who came closest however was a young Irish barman at 'The Admiral Benbow'. Night after night he watched Cronan drink his grog and boast of his exploits, telling tales of riches unimaginable.

'YYYYAARRR', growled the fearsome Cronan, 'I've got barrels o Belgian Ale so strong it would souse a Spanish Armada and an Old Nick bottle stuffed to the brim with Capn's Delight vouchers!'

No one believed these far fetched ramblings, especially as Cronan never arrived sober, and left even the worse for wear! But the young Irishman had other ideas, he was sick of Guiness and he dreamed of setting himself up in his own Inn, selling Belgian Beer and Captain's delight by the gallon.

So one night, as Capn Cronan staggered out into the Fog, the Irish barman followed. As the thick fog swirled around them the Irishman could only keep track of Cronan from the clack, clack of his peg leg on the cobbles and from his drunken singing:

"I guess now it's time for me to give up
YAARRR I feel it's time
Got a picture of you beside me
Got you're lipstick mark still on your grog cup
Got a fist of pure emotion
Got a head of shattered dreams
Gotta leave it, gotta leave it all behind now"

The Irishman could barely stand the stultifying noise of Cronan's singing...but his dream of finding the treasure somehow drove him on. Suddenly the footsteps stopped and the sound of Cronan opening a creeking door made the Irishman's heart leap...could this be where the captain kept his treasure? The Irishman slipped inside the door just behind Cronan and found himself in a darkened room and the strange thing was...it was still full of fog!

Suddenly the lights came on and there was Capn Cronan staring straight at the poor Irish fellar from his one terrifying eye!

'YYYYAAARRRR', said Cronan, 'Arter me Treasure were ye, yer swab? Ye'd better have a good excuse why ye was followin me or I'll Keel haul ye, hang ye from the yard arm and slit yer gizzard!'

The Irishman backed against the wall in terror, barely able to think...then it came to him in a flash:

'Sorry Mr Cronan Sir...I thought you was Henry Kelly!'

He was never seen again...
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:28 am

black bart wrote:By thee pillars o Madame Fifi's porch...ye's got more titles than Roger Federer!

Yar. Oi finks ee be tha gost uf StJtB.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Reverend RA on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Pieces o'nine I wonder if this may be the same gentleman.

Canon Jack (Wacko Jacko) O'Hanlon. Pictured here underneath the Gable of our Parish Church. A diminutive man standing only three foot nine and one half inches in high heels, but devoted choral master of of our world famous junior parish choir from August 1972 to his sudden departure in July 1976. An intensively private and modest gentleman, little is known of his exploits prior to his arrival at our church doors bereft and barefoot with only a dufflebag containing little more than an empty bottle of rum and a packet of Ramen noodles. However following a pastoral visit to a local ale house one night he did let slip that he had been a Master Pirate of the Guild of Barbary Coast Pirates but following a regrettable incident when mistaking the Admiral's dinghy for a distressed whale attached ropes to the dinghy and proceeded to toe the Admiral and his staff into the mid Atlantic (with an exceptional degree of success) where they were never to be heard of again. Learning of his mistake on return to port and full of remorse (not to mention the prospect of a plank walk) he decided the time was right for a career change. Taking a job with the Pastapopolous Stables in Dubai he achieved considerable success as a champion donkey jockey. Unfortunately it was this very success that brought him to the attention of the new admiral, a vindictive and bitter man (and son of the previous admiral), who had taken a blood vow to track Jack down, which is what brought him to our doors for sanctuary.

Little is known of his strange apparel he always claimed it was the riding colours of the Pastapopolous Stables however we have subsequently discovered that their colours are striped tangy red and macaroni white. We now believe it was probably a tribute to Father Christmas as the good Canon was forever giving small gifts to his choir.

Reverend RA

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Arrrgh, wordes cannae hex press me haztonishment that theyre be ***2*** Rev. Canon O'Hanlons!

Thee one oi nose an sumtoimes confesses to be sumwhat taller an ov moor sober mane, as reveeled in this vintidge tintype ov thee man ov thee cloff hisself, wot me ole cabbin bouy (Errol Flynn) repayred wif sellotaype.

Cood that ovver wun be a himposter, tryin t'steele thee idennity ov arrrgh oane beloved Portsmuff Pastor to thee Lost an Easily Led Astray? Arrrgh's be a mon-scene-yer, arfter awl, an thee wun ye looked hup fer us dint 'ave that hex altid title.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Next

Return to Pirate Discussion