Webcomics, read any?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Webcomics, read any?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Yeah, but every now and then he goes over the top and it's like... the point is that most people won't get it, and I don't know how much I like that in a webcomic. But like the one about the geeks who are like "okay, relationships are complicated. Let's make rules and simplify everything!" and then he just has the graph. I like that one. Dunno why I just mentioned it. But I think my point is made.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Those ones are good, but I like the ones where his characters go on adventures, or the ones where he takes obscure things and nerdifies them.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:47 pm

I just got turned on to a new one while catching up with Anders Loves Maria: Chester 5000 XYZ!

It's a story told as a silent film, about an engineer who creates a robot to look after his wife. It's absolutely fantastic. It's also about a far from safe for work as you can get.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:16 pm

What about Ghastly Ghastly Comics? And that's all I'm going to say.

Actually, my favorite XKCD comics are the doodles, especially the ones with cubes and spiders. But he never does those any more... :sad:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:21 pm

I enjoy Order of the Stick!

I can't believe I forgot to mention it, especially as it was mentioned by people before my post (i think?)!

It is way funnier if you have ever played DnD or Magic or whatnot, but some of the humor is legitimate even for the layman.

Yeah, XKCD is good.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:51 am

I recently read Erfworld, which is a pretty unique comic.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Hippie Pirate on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Yeah, I read Erfworld. I can't say I am a fan though, now that it moved to another site than OOTS I probably won't read any new ones.
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4
Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Added a new one today: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, courtesy of a recommendation from the Bad Astronomer.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:25 am

The only webcomic I've ever read really regularly is Perry Bible Fellowship, but it's finished now. I also have enjoyed most of the XKCD and Cectic comics I've read, though I haven't followed either regularly.

As for Girl Genius (mentioned in the original post), if you ever see characters by the name of Vogel, Krizsan, or Strout, that's referring to the people who made the game in my signature, below. Phil Foglio made some artwork for the Avernum series by the same company, so that's why they get cameos. I haven't read the comic myself, though I hear it's pretty good.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Well, apparently, reading too much 8 bit theater can warp your sense of humor to the point of morbidity.

I found out the hard way.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:35 am

You know that old saying, to kill two birds with one stone? It turns out it's really easy if that stone is also a continent.

And, Black Mage logic. Life is funny. Death is an inevitable part of life. Therefore, death is funny.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Just read Looking For Group, which I liked. Richard is the man, in any case.

Also finished Flintlocke vs. the Horde and read some Penny Arcade and Awkward Zombie, and By Way of Booty Bay (extremely twisted and NSFW, but very artistic).

These things are taking over my life.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:38 am

Looking for Group is good, but you can't just rely on one good character, I reckon.

I've started reading Octopus Pie.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:29 pm

I may have to start reading Abstruse Goose after this made me giggle like a schoolboy watching someone soil themselves in public (I know, it's a bad simile).

I wonder what it is that makes maths and dinosaurs such a good combination? XKCD seems to have worked this out a while ago too.

Edit- It's abStruse goose, not abtruse goose. Now I understand why it kept redirecting me when I typed the address in myself :blush:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Hippie Pirate on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 pm

You can just rely on one good character when it is Richard, he reminds me of a DND character of my own...

If I had more money I would buy some Richard merchandise.
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4
Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors