RECIPES

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: RECIPES

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:34 pm

mush poo taters

git a big piewit ta boyl da taters alive !

wen alla taters stop screemin
den dey b kooked
den ya bedder wet dem b kold

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

if da be hot den yer foots be burn wen ya mush dem
but i keep me boots on wen i mush dem
den puttem onna plate an
smudder et wiff gravee

so da cussamers dunt see alla stuff wot cume offin me boots :welcome:

et yummy i fink
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby TwistedSister on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:26 pm

I'll keep that in mind Nef when my potatoes are ready to be dug up. And after I dig them up I'm going to bury you to see how much you will grow.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Here's a good spinach recipe I posted elsewhere:

Here's a good vegetarian/pastafarian dish me and my girlfriend like to enjoy regularly.

Spinach-Ricotta Sauce

Ingredients:
1-lb box of penne pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 gloves garlic, minced or crushed
1 cup cooked spinach
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (feel free to eyeball this instead of an exact measurement)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (and please, for your sake and the sake of those around you, the good stuff, not the green can)

In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion. A minute or two later, add the garlic and saute until the onion becomes translucent
Add the spinach, ricotta, tomato, and pepper. Mix thoroughly; season with salt
Add the Parmesan; mix well. Pour over hot penne (cook the penne as to the instructions on the box)
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby TwistedSister on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Sounds yummy PK, I might just give that a try!!!
If Mr. TS doesn't like it, he can nuke a hot dog.
TwistedSister

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:10 pm

I saw an interesting "recipe" for cooking bratwurst on my grill show on Saturday. Smoke the brats for about 40 minutes with your choice of wood, but then fill an aluminum tray with beer and let 'em soak over the smoke for another 30 or so.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 pm

braising 'brats in beer is a common cooking technique. SPEAKING OF WHICH,
Italian-style braised brisket.
you will need:
A 2-3 pound piece of first cut brisket; make sure it has a thick layer of fat on one side
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
oregano
1 onion, coarsely chopped
olive oil
salt
beef broth
peeled sticks of carrot, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
Celery stalks, cut into 1-2 pieces

A metal or pan dish a few inches deep
A gallon-sized ziploc bag

-------------------

Place the brisket in the ziploc bag. Add the garlic, oregano and salt to taste, and enough olive oil to coat. Put in the fridge and marinate for at least a half hour, or up to a day in advance.

Turn the broiler on your oven up to high. Place the brisket, fat side down, in the pan. Put the pan under the broiler and cook it for 5 minutes. Take the pan out, turn the brisket over, and cook the other side for another 5 minutes. It's important that the beef be fat side up at this point. Take the pan out, turn off the broiler, and set the oven to 350 degrees.

Add the onion, plus enough carrot and celery pieces to loosely fill the bottom of the pan. Add the beef broth, but make sure that the top of the brisket is still above the broth. You don't want it to be completely submerged. Tightly cover the pan with aluminum foil so that steam can't escape. Put the pan in the oven, and cook for 4 hours.

Serving instructions: cut the brisket in thin strips against the grain. The broth may be used as a gravy; separate out the vegetables, mix water and flour in a sauce pan. Add the broth to the saucepan and heat until reaching a thick consistency. Baked potatoes or egg noodles make for a good grain compliment to the meal.

----------------

Food theory: Brisket comes from around the front legs of the cow, right in front of the shoulder. As such, it is a heavily used muscle that's very tough. However, unlike the shoulder cut, brisket has a thick layer of fat on it. This fat can be utilized to keep the brisket juicy and tender during the long cooking time, and not dry out. This is why the fat needs to be up when it goes in for the 4 hours.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Sounds yummy, yummy.
Thanks for sharing PK!!!
(wish I had a man that could cook or at least try)
TwistedSister

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Ah crap, I forgot an ingredient. Throw in a can of dice tomatoes along with the celery, carrots, and onions.

PKMKII

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 am

PK, made the Spinach/Rigotta recipe last night.
Amazing enough, my hunny liked it.
Came out a little dry though, so not sure where I went wrong.
But it was very good!
Thanks!
TwistedSister

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 am

Try using skim milk ricotta, or don't let the spinach dry out too much after cooking it/defrosting it.

PKMKII

Postby TwistedSister on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:18 am

Ahhhh, o.k., I did wring the hell out of the spinach, I didn't want it to have too much liquid. :facepalm:
TwistedSister

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Normally this thread is for sharing good recipes with each other, but I feel compelled to post what may be, the worst recipe in the world.

"Italian" "Style" Pasta

Here's the ingredients

* 250 gram Dried durum wheat Pasta /8oz
* 1 tbsp Olive Oil
* 250 gram (8oz) Mushroom(s) halved
* 800 gram 2 cans, chopped Tomatoes
* 2 tsp dried Basil

Okay, nothing bad yet, but here's where it gets nasty

* 25 gram (1oz) Plain Flour (WTF?)
* 1 tsp Worcester Sauce (Okay, that's disgusting)
* 200 gram 2 cans Tuna ( :facepalm: :barf: :facepalm: )

The woman who came up with this crime against humanity is from Britain, doing nothing to help combat the stereotypes about British cooking.

PKMKII

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 am

Pasta with tuna's not bad at all, but Worcestershire sauce and flour? Why?

Granted, I don't even like pasta with olive oil. Something about it just doesn't taste good to me. I like pasta, and I like olive oil, but not together.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:11 am

I think the flour and werechestershiashere sauce is to make a gravy, but I agree with PK, that just sounds sooooo bad.
TwistedSister

Postby bacon on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:16 am

i don't think worchestershire sauce and tuna should be mixed - that just sounds nasty
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

PreviousNext

Return to Food