What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Lubber on Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:31 pm

I'm reading Blue at the Mizzen by Patrick O'Brian, great book, knowing it's the last one in the Aubrey/Maturin series makes me really sad. It could have gone on for so much longer :(

Wodehouse is good readin' too!

Berørt av Hans nudlete vedheng
Lubber
Ziti Zealot

Postby TheArchitect on Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:29 pm

My girlfriend suggested I read the Sword of Truth series. So I will be reading those as soon as she gets them to me.
TheArchitect
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby ke_mikiao on Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:34 pm

I just finished reading, and am preparing to reread, Godplayers by someone or other.....dont remember the author...its a very good book, though i hope it is a series...
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby vallerand on Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:36 am

Been reading the Joy of Cooking, various editions. It's an interesting reflection of the way the culture has changed. The earliest books have discussions of proper place settings and barely mention nutritional choices, while the most recent is full of nutrition and food safety advice.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Duke on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:57 pm

I am done with "Hearts In Atlantis". It is a most excellent book. Currently, I am reading "The Pelican Brief". So far it is very good.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby diego on Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:23 pm

I'm reading I, Jedi
diego
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Duke on Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:20 pm

diego wrote:I'm reading I, Jedi

I, read that. T'was pretty good.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Spud on Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:50 am

I'm reading Che Guevara, A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson. A friend recommended it but I just can't get into it. I've been "reading" it for months and I'm only on page 67. Interesting story, but just not something I like to sit back and read in my free time.
Spud
Ziti Zealot

Postby Rebeckle on Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:33 am

I started trying to read Ellen Dissanayake's "Homo Aestheticus: What art is for and why"... but it's really poorly written. Her ten-line-long sentences evoke nightmares of Joseph Campbell, which is really sad, since I think she might actually have something to say...

Unfortunately, my patience wore thin (I am an English major, afterall), and aside from offering my services as an editor, I don't think I want any more to do with her.

Beyond that, I'm reading "Yanomamo" for the 2nd or 3rd time...and T.S. Eliot's "Four Quartets".
Rebeckle
Farfalle First Mate

Postby gwood on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:22 am

I've been reading the non-SF Phillip K. Dick titles-- "Humpty Dumpty in Oakland," currently. Great stuff, life in the late 50s - early 60s.

But the book I always recommend is "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.
gwood
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Rebeckle on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:54 pm

Oooh! Recommendations?

I badger most people I know about reading Italo Calvino's "If on a winter's night a traveler".

Mind-bending. Absolutely brilliantly conceived and executed. I've never read a book like it in my life. And I've read alot of books.
Rebeckle
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Duke on Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:36 pm

gwood wrote:I've been reading the non-SF Phillip K. Dick titles-- "Humpty Dumpty in Oakland," currently. Great stuff, life in the late 50s - early 60s.

But the book I always recommend is "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.

I really love "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick. I have read it quite a few times.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby gwood on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:01 pm

Duke wrote:
I really love "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick. I have read it quite a few times.

Duke

Haven't read that one, will look for it my friend's extensive PKD library. Sounds like one of the many, many SF titles. I like the SF, but the handful of non-SF novels are a whole different writer, it seems like. Maybe my fave is "Confessions of a Crap Artist."
gwood
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Duke on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:35 pm

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:"Do Androids Dream..." was the base story for Blade Runner.

Yeah! I want to see the movie so much it hurts, but I have been unable to. I heard the flim was good.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Galapagosian on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:44 pm

Duke wrote:
Auntie Dee Dee wrote:"Do Androids Dream..." was the base story for Blade Runner.

Yeah! I want to see the movie so much it hurts, but I have been unable to. I heard the flim was good.

Duke

Make sure you see the director's cut (without Harrison Ford's voiceover).
"Oh yeah, 'ooh!' 'aah!', that's how it always starts, but then later there's running. And then screaming..."
Galapagosian
Bucatini Buccanneer

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors