A Yearly Gathering

Wanna get together to pillage something, or just to have a bowl of pasta? Schedule it with your fellow Pastafarians here.

Moderator: All Things Mods

A Yearly Gathering

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:39 am

On a more serious note, would anyone else be interested in starting and/or helping out at a yearly gathering? I would certainly find a way to attend one!

A few of us have kicked around the idea of getting together at ET's place or attending PG's wedding, but i don't think that a once-a-year get-together is too far-fetched.

Any takers?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Re: A Yearly Gathering

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:39 am

I might be able to hit London to celebrate Holiday? (CF, Daftbeaker, Black Bart, all the other UK pastafarians).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Edd on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:08 am

Since we span the globe, the long distances some of us would have to travel make it impractical for us all to meet in person.

I think a good compromise would be several meetings at strategic destinations and some live webcams, like what has been suggested for PG's wedding.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:17 am

I am thoroughly immobile until I earn a suitable income, unfortunately.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 am

a completely Global meeting is... really complicated, if only for our UK friends.

North America, however, could do something. Perhaps an East coast and a West coast, or central... depending on where people are.

So first we need to decide who exactly, or what region, would be attending said gathering. Then we need to find a time. I suppose the only holiday that works is Talk Like A Pirate Day, but that's during school for me this year (or at least on a school weekend), so I wouldn't be able to make that, unless it was local, i.e. in Washington D.C.

Which could work, we could march on the lawn with like, 5-15 people and not tell anyone. :cool:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:48 am

Edd wrote:Since we span the globe, the long distances some of us would have to travel make it impractical for us all to meet in person.

Obviously. I was slightly...okay...REALLY drunk when i wrote the initial post and thought that the whole "Get together by region" was implied.

:blush:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Elvalia on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm all for the getting together at ET's place idea, because I could drive there. Other than that, I really couldn't just because of how much cash I'm pouring into university and rugby.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:16 pm

ET's place could work for me... I could either fly, or there might be a train arrangement?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:27 pm

The availability of ET's place hinges upon the cooperation of Mrs. T, a commodity not in plentiful abundance at this time. There is ET's camp, a bit further north and lacking in several modern amenities, but slightly more available than the residence. Also somewhat difficult to find, but that could be worked around. There are facilities to sleep perhaps a dozen or so, depending on how friendly everyone is feeling. Showering a dozen or so people there could take a while. There are cooking facilities, a flush toilet, hot water, and four "bedrooms", though not all the "bedrooms" have doors, and two of them are pretty small. There is currently no refrigerator, the floors are far from level, and a somewhat musty odor prevails.
There's also \/this lake 53 feet from the camp.
And \/this one is six miles up the road.
Nothing is a slam-dunk at this point, very little of my life is my own.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby TwistedSister on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:37 am

Heck ET that's not roughing it, that sounds pretty posh to me.
Our friends had a cabin we all helped to build up in NY State. No running water, toilet was a hole in the ground with an appropriate box on top with toilet seat on it, which wasn't bad except in the middle of the night (it was set up about 50 feet into the woods), shower was a five gallon bucket of water heated over campfire, which 4 people had to share and it was outside. Jumping in the lake to get clean looks like alot more fun.
We did have 4 solid walls and a roof and woodstove once project was completed. We all shared the loft for sleeping.

As long as the weather isn't cold, we have a truck tent so our bedroom can arrive with us.
(besides, I wouldn't subject anyone to Mr. Ts's nightly tooting)
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:56 am

THAT is my idea of camping TS! Do you knw what i think the most important piece of camping equipment is? A bottle of Everclear 190 proof! Light and easy to carry, and serves many purposes. You can clean wounds with it, use it as smelling-salts, start the fire with it and , of course, pour about 1 cup into a pitcher of crystal light drink mix and get everybody drunk!

:haha:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Elvalia on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Your camp sounds pretty nice there ET. Plus, the further north it is, the better it is for me. :smile:
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I might be able to hit London to celebrate Holiday? (CF, Daftbeaker, Black Bart, all the other UK pastafarians).

I'd be up for that.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:07 am

ET's "Mrs. ET" worries aside (not that they're irrelevant in any way), if we could set up a get-together on or near his BEAUTIFUL property, i might just think i'd died and gone to the beer volcano...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Me and the Rutgers Pastafarians would be more than happy to host a gathering. We've been looking for something cool to blow all our money on.
Check out an official Pastafarian holy book, the Loose Canon: http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/

"With Him, All Things are Pasta-Bowl."
-ProvHerbs 3:35
Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Next

Return to FSM Gatherings