What's Your Desktop Background?

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

What's Your Desktop Background?

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 pm

Right, boredom has gotten the better of me. Very simple, all you have to do is post a picture of your desktop background.

Mine's a picture of the Chaiten volcano in Chile that erupted during a lightning storm (yes, it's from the Daily Mail but you can only poo with the arse you've got).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: What's Your Desktop Background?

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DB that is both beautiful and very frightening at the same time.
Desktop back ground at work, standard.
At home, don't know how the hell to post it.
[I know, I know.........]
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 pm

TwistedSister wrote:At home, don't know how the hell to post it.
[I know, I know.........]

Is it one of your pictures on your computer or something you've borrowed off the web?

And it is a very cool picture, I only found it yesterday. My last one was http://kevinvancrawford.com/photos/tarsier.jpg which is more my usual sense of humour.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:56 pm

My current dream car (well, that or a Nissan GT-R)
Link to the full-sized picture
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:00 pm

I usually just put in movies or games I'm looking forward to, so I've had this one from Diablo III for a while now.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Had a blonde moment there. [duh!!!] on left, Oliver, no shine is his one eye because he needs a patch. The other kitty was Moo, she was about 13 years old in that pix, Oliver was about two.
Great idea by the way DB!
TwistedSister

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:10 pm

This is a dead bottle of the infamous Buckfast Tonic Wine. It was lying freshly finished and with the top broken off, outside a doctor's surgery at three in the afternoon on a Wednesday. I think I have issues with alcohol, but man...

I posted it on Flickr and it got lots of hits, so I guess it has some virtue. Damned if I know what it is, though...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Ah! Lovely pussy-cats TS!

My desktop pic on hubby's laptop (cropped from a bigger pic) is my GoldWing with my youngest son, my daughter & son-out-law (who owned the trike). The grandkids are in the sidecar and Arceus is on the back of hubby's bike in the next pic. The twins are small because they were only ten!

ImageImage
^Youngest grandson then aged 2.
On my own laptop it is hubby and me on my Suzuki GS400 on our wedding day.

Great topic, DB!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 pm

My desktop background changes every fifteen minutes, literally. I have a program called 'Smart Wallpaper Lite', and it goes through a folder that is 643 megabytes in size.

Currently, it is a picture of Domokun with big headphones on.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Tigger, that one from your laptop is awesome, and I'd trade lots of goodies to play with that trike for a while.

My background right now (and for the last four weeks or so) is a ho-hum boring windows supplied southwestern pattern. Usually it's one of the cats, it's been Spike off and on for a couple of years at least. I tend to choose the one with the most serious health issues so I'll think of them more often and send good vibes along at random times during the day. I stopped doing it because this :furious: :furious: computer would take it down after a couple of days, lose the path to where it was stored, and generally f**k with my head. For some reason it only does that with the wallpaper, not the screen saver or shortcuts. I have stored everything - all my work files and all my personal files - on the state server in anticipation of the day this thing completely craps out. Here's the picture of Spike that I've been using. For some reason, whenever we have that bowl out, someone has to go take a nap in it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:34 pm

ET, I'm partial to black and white kitties.
What a sweetie!!!
Awwwwwwww.
I want another kitty!!

Thanks Tig!
TwistedSister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Tigger, that one from your laptop is awesome, and I'd trade lots of goodies to play with that trike for a while.

My background right now (and for the last four weeks or so) is a ho-hum boring windows supplied southwestern pattern. Usually it's one of the cats, it's been Spike off and on for a couple of years at least. I tend to choose the one with the most serious health issues so I'll think of them more often and send good vibes along at random times during the day. I stopped doing it because this :furious: :furious: computer would take it down after a couple of days, lose the path to where it was stored, and generally f**k with my head. For some reason it only does that with the wallpaper, not the screen saver or shortcuts. I have stored everything - all my work files and all my personal files - on the state server in anticipation of the day this thing completely craps out. Here's the picture of Spike that I've been using. For some reason, whenever we have that bowl out, someone has to go take a nap in it.
picture
Sounds like your computer has alzheimers!

EDIT: My desktop is now a picture of Squirtle with big spiky orange sunglasses on.
EDIT: Now a picture of Link (from Zelda) with Luigi.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elvalia on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 pm

This is my desktop. It's a form of light art. I set the shutter speed at 5 seconds (give or take, this was a while ago), aimed at the light on my Wii, turned out all the lights and took a picture while moving the camera around a bit. I really want to try it with a laser pointer, but I don't have one.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 pm

Truly, it is inspired by His Noodliness. Think you could make something that looks more intentionally like the FSM?

Right now it looks more like a cross between :fsm_float: and :shellfish:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Elvalia on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Hmm... now I really need a laser pointer. It's a lot easier to controls the motions when the camera is stationary and the light moves than when the camera moves. I'll have to play around and see what I can do. I could probably do it with a flashlight.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes