Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:11 pm

S'presso wrote:the internet changes everything!

There's a song in there somewhere....

I saw some stuff from Lisa Marie Presley on CNN where she said MJ had predicted he'd go out just like Elvis. Her reaction was pretty poignant, actually. Painted him as a human, instead of the superman all the "ordinary" people saw him as.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Edd on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Rainswept wrote:TV is calling him "The most famous man in the world." Do we think that's true?

My guess would have been Bush. I know it certainly used to be Michael Jordan.

Michael Jackson has been famous for 40+ years. I'm sure that you could walk into some obscure villages that have little contact with the rest of the world, mention George Bush or Michael Jordan's names and only get quizzical looks but if you say, 'Michael Jackson,' you'll get a spontaneous rendition of Billie Jean or Thriller or Beat It.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Greatest headline ever, from the Daily News, two days after MJ's death: "He's not breathing!"

You know, I was kinda shocked when I found out. Michael Jackson's just always been there. The first record I ever owned, that a friend gave me on my fifth birthday, was Thriller. I was moderately into his music throughout my entire adolescence. I made fun of the Moonwalker video game along with everyone else. I remember watching that video of his hair on fire. He's always entertained me, even if some of that was schadenfreude.

I don't really care that much, though. Dude was awesome, then he was royally fucked up, then he died. He was a brilliant artist, whose records I'm happy to own and listen to, but he's not really done anything worth talking about since my age was in the single digits. Now he's dead, leave him be.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Capellini on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 am

Michael Jackson is not the most famous person in the world. Well, he may be right now, but he wasn't a week ago. The most famous person in the world is always the most famous person right now.

This is because people in remote areas that are just now catching up with modern technology (mainly tv) aren't also catching up on what was on tv when it was invented. It's not like the advent of television repeats itself, and communities just now getting electricity and tv are also just now getting I Love Lucy. They're seeing what we're seeing.

When I was in Ethiopia, the closest village to our camp was an hour away, and they were so excited about the electric generator they had just gotten a year ago. Only months after the generator, the big man about town had a satellite tv in his cement hut. The kids watched MTV, and saw what we saw. They didn't know Michael Jackson or the Beatles, because MJ and the Beatles were not on MTV. Ya know who the most famous person in that village was, and therefore perhaps all over the world? Kanye West.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:28 am

Kanye West is okay, but he's not that good. He thinks he's God, but he needs a pitch-corrector to do any real singing. What a faker.

I always preferred old-school hip hop anyways.

And OMG Billie Mays is dead!
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:58 am

Capellini wrote: Ya know who the most famous person in that village was, and therefore perhaps all over the world? Kanye West.

You know... I gotta think for someone to be the most famous person in the world, I'd have to know who they are. I'm sticking with my guess of Bush.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Rainswept wrote:
Capellini wrote: Ya know who the most famous person in that village was, and therefore perhaps all over the world? Kanye West.

You know... I gotta think for someone to be the most famous person in the world, I'd have to know who they are. I'm sticking with my guess of Bush.

Do you think Obama has surpassed Bush on the notoriety scale yet? or is it not far enough into his presidency yet?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Rainswept on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Not nearly. He's been president for 6 months, compared to 8 years, not to mention Bush was in the spotlight a tremendous amount of time on the world stage, between 911 and the War.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby bacon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:47 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:And OMG Billie Mays is dead!

everybody just keeps dying - make it stop

oh billy mays - off to sell oxy-clean in heaven now. :cry:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby TwistedSister on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:12 pm

I didn't hear anything about Billie Mays. :paranoid:
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby bacon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:31 pm

billy mays passed away this morning - wife found him dead

Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon

Postby Capellini on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Sounds a bit complicated - he was in a rough landing a few days ago on a U.S. Airways plane and hit his head.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby TwistedSister on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Maybe he was snorting Oxi Clean.
(sorry)
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby bacon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:30 pm

the news article says "but wait! there's more!"

oops

sorry

too soon?
Get your bake on. Image

bacon

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:23 pm

that's pretty heartless.

it's not like he beat up a prostitute or anything like the shamwow guy did (lol, that was pretty funny)

he just seemed to be a decent salesman.

poor dude.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion