Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 am

Well, I never liked his music but I'm sorry the guy's dead.

Also, I just heard my first offensive Michael Jackson's Death joke. That didn't take long.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:27 am

daftbeaker wrote:Well, I never liked his music but I'm sorry the guy's dead.

Also, I just heard my first offensive Michael Jackson's Death joke. That didn't take long.

Not heard any myself... :guilty:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Capellini on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:18 am

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:I admit that excessive coverage will grate on my nerves.

But somehow, I was saddened. Never again will I hear another song like 'Billie Jean' or 'Thriller'...

:sad:

Yeah, but that has been true for the past 15 years he was still alive.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:17 pm

PKMKII wrote:I feel sorry for the guy. If he did molest any children, there's no excuse for it, but he had one screwed up childhood. I can't help but think that if he hadn't had such a bastard of a father, he could have done a lot more.

Frankly i can't believe that he was ever cleared of those charges. The security guard smuggled out a schedule of when they were to rotate the children in and out of his bed for FSMs sake!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Rainswept on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:06 pm

I always imagined he was stuck in childhood mentally, and therefor his emotions felt that children were his equals, and therefor romantically appropriate. Probably just talking out my ass, however. Whether or not he was guilty, he was a fucking moron for continuing to put himself in the situation where he could be accused again and again.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:53 pm

RAmen brother!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Capellini wrote:

But somehow, I was saddened. Never again will I hear another song like 'Billie Jean' or 'Thriller'...

Haha, that's true.

But there was always a possibility that he could have done some good work again.

Hey, we all thought it was impossible for a black man to turn white, but he proved us wrong there!
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:54 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:
Capellini wrote:

Haha, that's true.

But there was always a possibility that he could have done some good work again.

Hey, we all thought it was impossible for a black man to turn white, but he proved us wrong there!

Please desist in thinking for everyone , at least me anyways , our minds are incompatible , thank you .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:25 pm

My mistake, good sir, and I pray you think of it as an honest one.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:07 am

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:14 am

That's pretty much dead on.

Ever notice it's not generally the people who actually know the dead celeb well who do all the talking? I haven't seen Liz Taylor on there, what I've seen is former lawyers and people going "he once rode in my hot air balloon!"
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:54 am

I was watching MSNBC Thursday night at 10:30ish, they had his Agent, and then (one of?) his lawyer(s) on, being interviewed by Keith Olbermann. Can't remember exact names except the Lawyer guy's first name was like, Zia.

But yeah, it's sort of silly.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:55 am

On the bright side, VH1 Classic has spen the last two days playing solid Michael Jackson videos. Which means that at least one of the music channels is playing VIDEOS! When MTV started, they played only videos. You could tune in any hour of the day, and get videos. It was great! Then they started drifting into other stuff, and started VH1 to be playing only videos. Then VH1 started doing shows too. Even VH1 Classic has been drifting off into movies and long concerts. It's nice to be able to tune in to a video channel and actually see videos. I've missed that.

And they are playing old stuff, and obscure songs, and the UbiKids are having fun with it too.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:42 am

It turns out my son had never heard the Jackson 5, didn't know anything about Motown, so that's a whole new aspect of his musical education now underway (to be fair to the kid, I rant about music like the worst sort of fundie preacher, so he's been programmed his whole life to just switch off when I start on about it).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby S'presso on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:49 am

daftbeaker wrote:comic

Yes! I love pictures for sad children :shock:

I think I'm in the same boat as Roy's son, MJ's death was sad, but growing up while he was on trial for molestation and stuff, and not while he was being amazing at his music, I don't really know how to feel about it. I can't say I know how big his music really was, and how it affects everything. Now, music is all over myspace, and everyone's split off into little musical cliques instead... the internet changes everything!
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion