FSM's stand on heavy drinking

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

FSM's stand on heavy drinking

Postby his divine noodle on Tue May 12, 2009 6:04 pm

As a heavy drinker, I am faced with the following question:

Does His Noodliness endorse heavy drinking. According to me He should, since He Himself was drunk when he created us, and His chosen people, pirates, are known to swill rum at a high pace.

Also, if He doesn't endorse it, then would He atleast not condemn it?
his divine noodle
Ziti Zealot

Re: FSM's stand on heavy drinking

Postby Edd on Tue May 12, 2009 6:33 pm

I don't presume to speak for the FSM, but I believe that 'everything in moderation' is the key to happiness.

But remember to exercise moderation of moderation, also. Occasionally enjoying something for the pure unadulterated pleasure of it is acceptable as long as it doesn't become a habit, losing its novelty.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Wed May 13, 2009 8:13 pm

The FSM is in no position to frown upon willful alcoholism, but remember that He doesn't necessarily set the standard for what you should and shouldn't do, what is good and what is bad, what is moral and what is immoral. This is not an Abrahamic religion, where God tells us exactly what to do and not to do and woe be to him that disobeys. This is a religion that encourages independent thought.

So I say, while it's not against Pastafarian rules to drink heavily, it's still a dangerous game to play if you overdo it. I personally don't use any drugs not prescribed by a doctor, except for an occasional sip of an alcoholic beverage for tasting purposes, or a rare cup of coffee or tea in the middle of the day (as opposed to relying on it to wake up in the morning or abusing it to stay awake at night).
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed May 13, 2009 8:21 pm

I'd think that if your drunkenness interferes with other worthy pursuits, like pillaging, slurping noodles, and wenching, then you've taken it too far. Just make sure you are sober enough to sort of obey the "Eight I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts" most of the time.

And Don't DRIVE. No excuses on that. That's an Order!
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu May 14, 2009 3:35 pm

My drinking has yet to interfere with any other aspects of my life, so to qoute a great prof from UMD, "Drinking is only a problem when it's a problem".
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu May 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:My drinking has yet to interfere with any other aspects of my life, so to qoute a great prof from UMD, "Drinking is only a problem when it's a problem".

UMD=University of Many Drunks

I'd say keep your liver in mind, as well as the effects you have on others. If your boozing does not negatively impact anyone (including via secondary pursuits like driving and singing), then have at it. Remember your liver, though, because you may need it to process additional grog tomorrow, or next week, or next year. Let it run clean for a few days on a regular basis and it will continue to serve you for years to come. Think of it as cleaning the lint filter in the dryer.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Clifford on Sun May 17, 2009 12:51 pm

his divine noodle wrote:As a heavy drinker, I am faced with the following question:

Does His Noodliness endorse heavy drinking. According to me He should, since He Himself was drunk when he created us, and His chosen people, pirates, are known to swill rum at a high pace.

Also, if He doesn't endorse it, then would He atleast not condemn it?

I'm sure He endorses all means of alcohol consumption. If your will is to drink heavily He will support that. If you want to get occasionally hammered like me then He will support that.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon May 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Decided to try an experiment. I didn't drink for the last two nights. Or yet today. No shakes, no sweats, slept fine. No addiction for me yet. Hooray!!!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Valanthe on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:50 pm

I tend to think as long as you aren't hurting anyone (including yourself) then He will not have a problem with the occasional bout of binge drinking. As I am not a prophet, this is pure conjecture, however. I know I definitely enjoy grog on Fridays, though! :grin:
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Bah! Any night is a good night for grog! Lately i've been holding off until the kids are in bed. Right 'round 9:30 or 10 pm i'll have a glass of wine. That ^^ post was supposed to be a bit tounge-in-cheek btw.
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:Bah! Any night is a good night for grog! Lately i've been holding off until the kids are in bed. Right 'round 9:30 or 10 pm i'll have a glass of wine. That ^^ post was supposed to be a bit tounge-in-cheek btw.

Ye lie. Ye are immoral atheist. Ye can't be trusted!
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Valanthe on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:57 pm

I'm just a bit depressed because we're down to our last two beers and I don't know when we'll be able to run to the store for more. *sigh*
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby KC Observer on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:35 pm

Arrrrgh Matey! Ya gotta 'av your daily tot! Mutiny otherwise!!!! :drinking: :drinking: :fsm_yarr:
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 pm

FSM likes drinking. FSM doesn't like destructive behavior. It's not like the FSM will punish you for... anything, really (unless you find public ridicule holy punishment), and you're welcome to do whatever you want, as long as you don't hurt other people. Same as basically what people here have said. I personally wouldn't word it such that he endorses heavy drinking (can be bad for PR), but he's an alcoholic* himself, so... :drinking:

*which more likely means, he is alcoholic.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. :wink:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:30 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Ye lie. Ye are immoral atheist. Ye can't be trusted!

Funny thing is, i'm a better christian than most christians i know....

(nod to Ubi)
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Return to All Things FSM