Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby Capellini on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:10 pm

That was a long time coming, though. Apparently she hadn't even been well enough to speak for some weeks now. Sad for her family, her son has been having a hard time lately.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Michael Jackson, this afternoon. Heart gave out on him.
Holy freekin crap!
He was a strange dude, but talented.
Three in one week, they must be planning a talent show someplace.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:53 pm

I just came to post that too. Wow.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Capellini on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:59 pm

TwistedSister wrote:Michael Jackson, this afternoon. Heart gave out on him.
Holy freekin crap!

Didn't you know? Famous people always die in threes.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:34 pm

At least the world's water bills will be lower, now that the Fawcett has been turned off.

*tries for a rimshot, beans the referee instead, gets ejected from the game*
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:56 pm

I was just about to start a new thread about Jackson, 'till I saw this.

It's a damn shame such an incredibly talented dude got so screwed up by his family and by circumstance and had to die so ignominiously.

I guess it's for the best; he was not a happy guy. I mean, happiness must be next to impossible when you're getting the flashy red pants sued off of you by every second person you meet for everything from business unfairness to child molestation...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Edd on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Capellini wrote:
Holy freekin crap!

I remember discussing this with my brother when Princess Diana died; he was unaware of the phenomenon. I pointed out that Mother Theresa had also just passed shortly before Diana and mused, 'I wonder who the third one will be?'

He answered, 'It's already happened. Tupac.'
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Edd wrote:
Capellini wrote:
Holy freekin crap!

I remember discussing this with my brother when Princess Diana died; he was unaware of the phenomenon. I pointed out that Mother Theresa had also just passed shortly before Diana and mused, 'I wonder who the third one will be?'

He answered, 'It's already happened. Tupac.'

Wow.

Well, only the third one was worth anything, or did anything worthwhile to be famous for, so...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 pm

TV is calling him "The most famous man in the world." Do we think that's true?

My guess would have been Bush. I know it certainly used to be Michael Jordan.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby bacon on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:53 pm

wow - michael jackson

excellent artist and performer - i was listening to some of his earlier stuff from recently - guy had talent

never thought that he would go that way, always thought it would be something more flashy
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Rainswept wrote:TV is calling him "The most famous man in the world." Do we think that's true?

I would think quite possibly.
One for his immense talent.
Two for his immense weirdness.

Either way, people talked about him, loved him or hated him.
Such a shame, I don't think he was ever really happy.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Wawizzle on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:09 pm

I personally don't care about MJ's death because I don't know him. His music is good and he did a lot for the industry but besides that he was just another celebrity. Must be "my generation."

I'm going to be irritated by the massive coverage of him over the next month(s). There probably more important things going on right now.

I think deaths of celebrities are so big because it reminds people of their own mortality. Or, the uncynical part of me would like to think so.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Rainswept wrote:TV is calling him "The most famous man in the world." Do we think that's true?

My guess would have been Bush. I know it certainly used to be Michael Jordan.

Right now he is, because he's quite famously dead.
I would say that he has been the most famous person in the world several times. When "Thriller" came out, when he was accused of child molestation, right now for being dead, and maybe a couple of other times that I can't think of. Lots of people get to be the "most famous" for a while - Osama bin Laden, George W. Bush, Barack Obama - probably lots of heads of state are, at least briefly, along with music icons and some sports icons. If someone discovers time travel or immortality, they'll be tops for a while.

Mrs. T and I sometimes play a morbid little game. When someone famous dies, the news has it that day, and the next day there's some retrospective or something, and depending on how famous they were, it can go on for quite a while. We'll be saying "Well, it looks like Michael Jackson is still dead" for at least a couple of weeks, I'm sure. Personally, I don't really care whether he's alive or dead, I never cared much for his music, and he was just too bizarre. It's just another senseless piece of fluff news they'll use to avoid talking about issues that actually matter.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:05 pm

I admit that excessive coverage will grate on my nerves.

But somehow, I was saddened. Never again will I hear another song like 'Billie Jean' or 'Thriller'...

:sad:

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:11 pm

I feel sorry for the guy. If he did molest any children, there's no excuse for it, but he had one screwed up childhood. I can't help but think that if he hadn't had such a bastard of a father, he could have done a lot more.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion