Venganza People Google Map

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Venganza People Google Map

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Hmmm, according to the USDA, 165 is a safe temperature for chicken. And the wikipedia entry on Salmonella states:
To protect against Salmonella infection, it is recommended that food be heated for at least ten minutes at 75 °C (167 °F) so that the center of the food reaches this temperature.

So I was overcooking the chicken :blush:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:12 pm

How screwed up is it that my mom comes here first when she can't get in touch with me? The sadder part is that it worked.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby TwistedSister on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:56 pm

My advice guys, keep cooking the chicken the way you have been. If it hasn't given you the screaming um, well, you know, and hasn't killed you. I think you are doing just fine.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:23 am

Do you guys want me to add Professor Hugh Pennington to the map for you? It sounds like you might need his services.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 pm

Someone (cough! Cap! cough!) should add a stipulation that, after signing up, you have to post on the map as well....
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby black bart on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:24 am

PantyGnawer wrote:How screwed up is it that my mom comes here first when she can't get in touch with me? The sadder part is that it worked.

But we haven't actually seen your mum in ages...how is the dear old girl?*

*I always know where my mum is at any given time...with the Aztecs.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:43 am

When I see PG's new avatar I assume it's his mum and have to check the name :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 am

Ditto. It's slightly confusing at times so i always check the name so that i don't go 'splainin something to someone i should know better than to 'splain to.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:04 am

PantyGnawer wrote:RECIPE..... or else it didn't happen.
Apologies for the delay. It took me a while to write this lot out.

OK. Here's what I remember cooking, but I'm not an empiricist: I tend to add 'so much' rather than an exact quantity. Replicate it at your own peril.

Start by chopping about 4 large onions, a bulb of garlic, 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger, and 6 jalapeno chillis. You will use these in most of the recipes

Chickpea dhal.
75g red lentils
75g puy lentils
300g can of chickpeas
2 teaspoons cumin / jeera
tomato puree

Boil the red lentils and puy lentils until the red lentils disintegrate. Fry about 1/3 of an onion, some garlic and chilli, and add to the drained lentils. Add the chickpeas and cumin, then add tomato puree until it stops looking like the colour of vomit, then simmer for 10 mins.

Spicy onions.
1 red onion
50ml sweet chilli sauce
25ml balsamic vinegar
A pinch of smoked paprika

Chop the onion finely, add the paprika, sweet chilli sauce and balsamic vinegar, stir, Bob's yer Auntie. Refrigerate, then serve with poppadums.

Raita
6" of cucumber (<--QOoC, anyone?)
1 - 2 clove(s) of garlic
150 - 200ml natural yoghurt
A pinch of dried mint (or fresh if you can be bothered)

Grind the garlic in a mortar and pestle with a pinch of salt. Chop the cucumber finely into cubes. Add the cucumber, garlic and mint to the yoghurt. Refrigerate until needed, then serve with poppadums.

Vegetable medley
2 mild habanero chillis
1 shallot
A bit of carrot
2 - 3 radishes
A dash of white wine vinegar

Chop all the veggies extremely finely into cubes (a mandolin is ideal for this), add the vinegar, refrigerate until needed, serve with poppadums.

Vegetable pakora.
100g gram flour
2 small potatoes
50g frozen peas
2 'cubes' frozen chopped spinach
A pinch of turmeric.

Thaw the peas and spinach in warm water. Chop the potatoes to <1cm cubes and boil until cooked and leave to cool. Combine the ingredients in a bowl, and add cold water until they form a stiff dough. Make 3cm balls of dough and rest them for 20 minutes. Deep fry until a rich golden brown, and drain on kitchen paper.

Pakora sauce.
150 - 200ml natural yoghurt
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp hot chilli powder

Combine the ingredients and you're done.

Peshwari naan bread.
250g plain flour
125ml milk
50ml sunflower oil
75g pistachios (shelled)
25g ghee
25g flaked almonds (toasted if you like)
50g sultanas
25g caster sugar
25g soft brown sugar
A pinch of baking powder

Preheat your oven to "burn the house down". Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl, then make a hole / well in the middle of the bowl. Mix the milk and oil as best you can and pour it into the well. Mix it up to form a dough and knead it for 10 minutes. Leave it to rise in a bowl with a wet cloth over it for about an hour.

Put the pistachios, almonds, brown sugar and sultanas in a blender and blend it a bit.

Take it out of the bowl, knock the air out of it (gently - don't beat the crap out of it), divide it into 2, roll it out and spread the filling mix over half the rolled out dough. Fold it over and pinch the edges shut.

Put the naan bread on a greased tray and put in a painfully hot oven. Melt the ghee in a pan (or a cup in the microwave). When the dough starts to look like proper naan bread (depends on your oven); take it out, brush it with ghee, turn it over, put it back in. When the other side looks cooked, brush with ghee and leave it to cool.

Potato... thingummy.
500g new potatoes (Jersey Royals are perfect)
Some fresh or dried mint
25g ghee
A pinch of turmeric

Boil the potatoes whole (skins on) in boiling water with some turmeric in it. Drain the potatoes. Melt the ghee in a wok or frying pan, toss the potatoes in the ghee, remove from the heat, add the mint, toss the potatoes some more. You're done.

Chicken Jeera.
250g chicken breast, chopped
5g ground cumin
10g cumin seeds, crushed in a mortar and pestle
5g garam masala paste
The juice of half a lemon

Fry a chopped onion, about 2 chillis, about 2 tsps ginger on a gentle heat, add the chicken. Once the chicken starts to brown, squeeze in the lemon juice, add the crushed cumin seeds and the ground cumin.

Add the garam masala paste and a little water to make a sauce. Simmer for 10 mins. You're done.

Lamb Madras.
250g diced lamb
A tin of tomatoes (whole or chopped, makes no difference).
Some garam masala
4-6 curry leaves
Chopped coriander
1tsp coriander seeds
4-6 pods of cardomom seeds
1tsp fennel seeds

Fry about 1 chopped onion with some garlic, chilli and ginger until the onion is transparent. Add the tomatoes and simmer until they start to fall apart.

In a separate pan, heat some oil (or ghee if you've got it), throw the seeds in and wait for them to start popping. When they start to pop, throw in the lamb and allow it to brown all over.

Add the meat to the tomatoes (oil and all), add the curry leaves, stir in some garam masala until it looks / smells right, and simmer for 10 minutes. At the last minute, stir in some chopped coriander, and if you want it hot some raw chopped chilli.

Vegetable curry.
100g new potatoes
100g cauliflower
100g broccoli
100g chopped green beans / mange tout / whatever you've got.
Natural youghurt
1tsp cumin
0.5tsp turmeric
2tsp smoked paprika

Boil or steam the vegetables until they're nearly cooked. Meanwhile, fry onion, chilli, garlic in a pan. Drain the vegetables, add them and the spices to the pan. Remove from the heat.

Once they have cooled a little, stir in the natural yoghurt until it coats the vegetables (if the pan is too hot, the yoghurt will separate).

__________________________________________________________________________________

Serve poppadums first, with the vegetable medley and the spicy onions and yoghurt sauce.

Follow that with the pakora and pakora sauce.

Serve the three main dishes with rice, the potato dish and naan bread (I put a teaspoon of turmeric in the rice, you can also add star anise or cardomom as long as you remember to fish it out again before serving).

I usually need a large espresso and maybe a wee dram afterwards, to aid the digestion.

Wine suggestions:

A new world reisling, maybe a Kendermans; a viognier like Cono Sur; or my personal favourite, Brown Brothers' dry muscat.

Bon Appetit!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Edd on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:16 am

Roy Hunter wrote:add tomato puree until it stops looking like the colour of vomit

Now, there's a phrase I never heard Julia Child use.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby TwistedSister on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:59 am

Now we just have to figure out the metric system.
and what the hell are poppadums???
TwistedSister

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:27 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
I usually need a large espresso and maybe a wee dram afterwards, to aid the digestion.

Wine suggestions:

A new world reisling, maybe a Kendermans; a viognier like Cono Sur; or my personal favourite, Brown Brothers' dry muscat.

Bon Appetit!

Tave yer dabloomz an buttinz an shiny wokz
an mak yer oan

wottin grape blud

furst
git sum grape an puttin in tha kiddy pool
an din i wull bwing me frenz an we wull jump up an doon on tha grape an mush alla tha blud an gutz
den
den ya wait till et tinky an ye kin drink et . :tongue: :welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:12 pm

TwistedSister wrote:Now we just have to figure out the metric system.

It's really very complicated, it's based on base 10 with common greek prefixes to denote the order of magnitude. If X is the singular unit, then it goes deciX (10X), kiloX (1000X) etc.

Much simpler to have 16 ounces to a pound, 14 pounds to a stone etc. :wink:
TwistedSister wrote:and what the hell are poppadums???

Poppadums, also spelled poppadoms, are the big crisps served in Indian or Balti restaurants as an appetiser, usually being served with cucumber raita, mango chutney etc :hungry_FSM:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby TwistedSister on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Don't think I'll be able to find any of those around here.
TwistedSister

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm on the map: show up some Friday and you'll get fed. We'll teach you metric as a bonus.
Roy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion