Pirate Party Wins and Enters The European Parliament

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Pirate Party Wins and Enters The European Parliament

Postby HiltonT on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Now, PLEASE let me state up front that I don't condone piracy (of the software kind) in any way, but according to http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-party-wi ... nt-090607/ the Pirate Party, founded (I believe) by those who founded Pirate Bay, have gained at least one, and maybe 2 of the 18 seats in the Swedish parliament. :)

Arrrr.
Regards,
Hilton Travis

May the FSM touch you with His Noodly Appendage where you most need it and may he fill you with an inner warmth, just as a good spaghetti bolognese does.
HiltonT
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Pirate Party Wins and Enters The European Parliament

Postby Eniavlys on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:22 am

Eniavlys
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Robbobrob on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 am

I find their belief in freedom and personal privacy very refreshing.....if we can get a version of that in America, I would gladly join up.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby Andrey Kurtenkov on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:50 am

HiltonT wrote:... in the Swedish parliament. :)

Arrrr.

The mentioned great victory of the advanced humankind was in election of the parliament of the European Union, not of the Swedish one.
:bounce: :fsm_yarr:
En mateno de hela ero, per la forĉo de espero, venas viglaj pastafaroj, vere fluganta gefratoj.
Ah, vi flugu, Nia Monstro! Vin observas milionoj serĉiantaj vermiĉeloj, per espero kaj per amo.
Kaj la bona pastafaro post la malfermita pordo, trovos la eternan vivon en pastafara paradizo!
Pastafarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!
Българска пастафарианска църква (Bulgarian Pastafarian Church)
- за прослава на Макаронения Бог :worship: :fsm_float:
Andrey Kurtenkov
Chitarra Captain

Postby Eniavlys on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:04 am

He means that the Sweden have 18 seats in the European parliament and the Pirate Party have one of those.
The pirate party is fighting for the respect of privacy on the web and for a legalization of the download. The are web pirates and sea pirates, but do you think there are a lot of difference between them? the state of mind is the same, so glory to the old pirates and to the new pirates.
Eniavlys
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:07 pm

Eniavlys wrote: The are web pirates and sea pirates, but do you think there are a lot of difference between them? the state of mind is the same, so glory to the old pirates and to the new pirates.

I download illegally all the time, but it just doesn't bring one the same satisfaction as swinging from your mast line onto the deck of a Spanish Galleon and running some blaggard through wit yer cutlass!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Eniavlys on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:14 am

Of course yes, but it's less expensive (a pirate ship is quite more expensive than a computer) also ya can do the 2 in the same time with a satellite connexion, with the web to explain you when the rich galleon ya can steal will pass, there is no reason for waiting all the day if you know that at 5 pm a great ship will come into your hands (or hook). So you can drink some beer, watching an illegal downloaded film, and then go on the Spanish galleon.
But if the world don't let you download informations about ships and the film you want it will be a hard day on the top of the boat looking for an Spanish ship which would maybe not come until few days.
So let us download as we want to do.
Eniavlys
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Here's an interesting article by one of my favorite computer game developers, about software piracy. I think it's worth a read.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/967/967564p1.html
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:46 am

Ben Goldacre wrote an interesting column last week about how music downloads ARE NOT to blame for the music industry's downturn.

Artice HERE

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:32 am

I tried for years to play music but avoid being part of the music business. The reason the biz is in trouble now is very similar to the reason GM and other industrial dinosaurs are in trouble: they resisted change, and assumed we'd just keep buying the same old shit.

The music biz resisted MP3 because you spend 79p a time instead of buying 10 or 12 tracks for £10; you don't get packaging (which you are paying for), which leads to merchandising (the Rolling Stones album has a big, obscene-looking mouth on it, so you want the T-shirt too); and they don't get to sell you machines to play it on. It's no councidence that Philips, the inventor of the compact cassette and the compact disc, is also a record label. It is no coincidence that Sony, inventor of MiniDisc, is also a record label.

Now that it's too late, and the iconic brand name for MP3 players is a computer company, not a record company, they are crying foul. It's not a foul: they made some bad business decisions and now they have to face the consequences. The shape of the playing field was changing and they didn't pay attention.

There was a time a multitrack digital studio cost at least £1M: now I have one in my house which cost me all in about £800. Studio time and musician's wages for the average album in about the year 2000 was £50,000. Now it's about 10% of that. They can't make money out of infrastructure like studios any more; there's no money to be made in distributing MP3s; and they don't have to print and manufacture packaging and promotional materials to the same extent.

Piracy isn't killing music: music will always survive. The music business is no longer fit for purpose, and evolution is killing it. We're just hearing its death throes. [/rant]
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Stuff

I have a nice graph for you, courtesy of the Guardian:

Article here, basically it argues that since music can be obtained much more cheaply people are choosing to spend money on games which they can't get elsewhere. Basic use of money for maximisation of resources.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:07 pm

I agree with Roy. Internet Piracy, for music or video games, is a clear indicator of something being wrong, or at least not optimal, in the business model.

For exaple: the Steam platform from the Valve company. Valves games don't get pirated. You download steam for free, buy games quick and easy from that, and start downloading, and then play. Also, they do global releases, meaning games don't come out a few weeks or months later in other countries. Couple that with their steam community features and security features, and it makes more sense to just use Steam and pay for games.

For music, well, you can't really OWN an mp3 without being able to copy/send/proliferate it as you like. So, the whole buying CDs/indivudla mp3s model isn't going to last very long. Artists are already finding ways of getting around this. Take "In Rainbows" by Radiohead or "Ghosts I-IV" by Nine Inch Nails. all online ways of getting the music, with prices rangeing from free to 300 dollars to whatever you wanted to pay. Of course, that's easy for an established artist to do. The trick is what to do with new and upcoming artists.

And who knows what the answer is. My personal opinions is that it's certainly not the record company strategy. I think it'll look more like Webcomics, where you can have a living by creating some content for free (the webcomic/the music), and some for pay (hard copies of the comic, hard copies of the albums, T-shirts and other merch), and most importantly, a donations page.

The first step is getting public policy changed, and legalizing filesharing.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Return to All Things FSM