BACON!!!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: BACON!!!

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri May 29, 2009 5:21 am

PantyGnawer wrote:
PKMKII wrote: cilantro (coriander leaves),

You are one of the first people I've met that knew that coriander was just the fruit of cilantro.

I'm growing some cilantro, but its acting weird. It has very few leaves but is flowering and producing seed pods like crazy. I've decided to stop saying that I'm growing cilantro, and just say that I'm growing coriander. Cause thats all Im getting.

People don't know this?

It's not a thing I usually discuss at work or at parties, and even if it was, everyone up here is a gardener or a farmer, so I'd expect them to know about that stuff.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I tried growing cilantro once. Cilantro from the grocery store just tastes like soap to me, so I was hoping that home-grown would be milder. Nope! Extra-concentrated soap! Bleah! So my coriander is just going to stay in the jar, thank you, and get put in the curries and apple pie.
Last edited by Ubi Dubium on Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sat May 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:I tried growing cilantro once. Cilantro from the grocery store just tastes like soap to me, so I was hoping that home-grown would be milder. Nope! Extra-concentrated soap! Bleah! So my coriander is just going to stay in the jar, thank you, and get put in the curries and apple pie.

Cilantro is definitely one of those "love it or hate it" kind of herbs. I heard once that there's a genetic reason behind it, not sure if that's true or not.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun May 31, 2009 6:53 am

It is genetic, I'm sure. I'm a supertaster. (way more tastebuds than average.) I can't stand anything bitter or biting, and I have a limited tolerance for spicy food as well. Certain flavors just come through as much stronger to me than to the average person. I drink tea, not coffee, cider not beer. Raw onions taste like pure sulfuric acid, radishes are out, and walnuts are nasty bitter things that spoil otherwise wonderful cookies. Cilantro tases like soap. This comes with texture issues as well, so sour cream and cream cheese are just way too cloying to be enjoyable. It took me years to learn to like ice cream too, as a kid I thought it was too sticky and heavy, and only wanted sherbet.

But on the bright side - I can notice small quatities of a spice that others would miss. A smidgen of fresh herbs from my garden really makes a big difference.

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun May 31, 2009 5:18 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:I'm a supertaster.

Do you have a cape, and can you fly through the air?
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Ubi Dubius on Sun May 31, 2009 6:48 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote:I'm a supertaster.

Do you have a cape, and can you fly through the air?

She does have a cape, and she can fly through the air if somebody else is piloting the airplane.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun May 31, 2009 6:49 pm

Yes, and yes. Oh, wait, this isn't logic problems, is it? Wrong thread.

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:55 am

PantyGnawer wrote:
PKMKII wrote: cilantro (coriander leaves),

You are one of the first people I've met that knew that coriander was just the fruit of cilantro.

I'm growing some cilantro, but its acting weird. It has very few leaves but is flowering and producing seed pods like crazy. I've decided to stop saying that I'm growing cilantro, and just say that I'm growing coriander. Cause thats all Im getting.

People don't know this?

It's not a thing I usually discuss at work or at parties, and even if it was, everyone up here is a gardener or a farmer, so I'd expect them to know about that stuff.

PG: try keeping the soil cool- works well for me if the plants are in a pot- warm soil (like over 75 degrees) can cause it to bolt and go to seed- I read this somewhere once and it seems to work for me- or if in the garden contact your local master gardeners club (what they are called in the USA don't know bout UK or anywhere else) and ask them for advice- they are usually happy to help and for free.

We have a hot sauce and chili heads thread around here- good to see more chili heads around!
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:18 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby bacon on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:27 pm

PKMKII wrote:Best pancakes EVER

give me those
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 pm

So Time Out Chicago recently did a review of the best bacon in Chicago. Check out this hotness:
We commenced our search at Lucky Platter (514 Main St, Evanston, 847-869-4064; $2.75). An order was placed for a smorgasbord of breakfast items, and when the swine arrived it glistened like wet gold teeth. They had dunked the strips in cinnamon glaze, making it gloriously sticky—like 3M got in the bacon biz. I saved a piece to hang a Garfield poster back at the crib.

:fsm_drool:

PKMKII

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:06 pm

My favorite pizza is good, thick, soft crust, good sauce and cheese (I don't know what makes these things good, so I just say they have to be good and I know it when I taste it), topped with bacon, anchovies, and pineapple. It's delicious.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Anchovies?

Bleah. Best way to ruin a pizza.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Nonsense. Anchovies are delicious.

It's true, however, that placing even a single anchovy on a pizza tends to make the whole thing taste like anchovies. It's not a bad thing if you like anchovies, but if you're splitting the toppings for multiple people, it's not the best thing to place on the pizza.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:*SNIP*
bacon, anchovies, and pineapple. It's delicious.

Anchovies?

Bleah. Best way to ruin a pizza.

Stuff the anchovies. Pineapple on pizza is the invention of the antipasta :antipasta:

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Food