Hot Sauce and Chili Pepper Heads thread

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Hot Sauce and Chili Pepper Heads thread

Postby wobastax on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:00 pm

[img=http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8226/tabascoall20bottlesmq9.th.jpg]
the five gods of hot sauce... chipotle sauce, green jalepeno sauce, garlic habenero sauce, original sauce and habenero sauce! all genious!
Embrace the noodles of all cultures, and listen to Bob Marley... He's good, and his hair is like noodles
wobastax
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Made some homemade sauce this week--- with Guajillos--- it's not really firey and has such a sweet smell-- it's great on eggs.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby robotulism on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Oh man, I love me some hot sauce. I have probably tried it all. And I usually rank them on flavor first, then heat.
For example, Dave's insanity sauce is spicy as heck, and I love it, but the flavor is not very nice and compliments only a few select meals.
Sriracha (or Flaming Chicken, as we call it in my home-port) is by far the best, I think. I eat food specifically to use it. In this past week I have used it in burritos, nachos, on scalloped potatoes, burgers, pizza, guacamole, and it won the taste test in bloody marys. It is definitely my favorite.
Otherwise, Cholula, with the wooden cap, is good for its heat and flavor, but pretty much only on mexican food and pizza, not near as versatile. And good ole tabasco rules the breakfast table, but not many other places.

this smilie is fitting. :antipasta:
robotulism
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby TwistedSister on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Hey Robo :welcome: back. I was hoping you'd turn up again.
Pop on over to fun and games and meet some of the gang!
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby PKMKII on Fri May 08, 2009 10:32 pm

So a few nights back I decided to order some Chinese food from this new-ish place here in Bay Ridge. Now they do normal American-style Chinese food, but they also have a separate section of authentic Sichuan food (Menu here for anyone interested). I had heard that Sichuan food is spicy, so I decided to go for the Spicy Chengdu Dumplings and the braised beef in chili sauce. Now I'm a guy that's got a pretty decent tolerance for el picante. I can throw a few drops of Sudden Death sauce into a pot of chili and barely break a sweat, while my girlfriend has to fan her tongue. This Sichuan stuff, however, kicked my ass around; I had to down two glasses of milk, I was sweating like mad, my sinuses completely emptied out, my lips tingled and burned for like 20 minutes afterward. Still managed to finish it, though :grin:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Ubi Dubius on Sat May 09, 2009 12:04 pm

I love Sichuan food. We had a wonder place near us when we lived in Roanoke, Virginia. I had to twist the manager's arm a couple of times to bring me the spicy dishes (he didn't think an Anglo could handle them). We really liked the place. The manager even ordered ingredients for us we couldn't find in the local stinky store (Oriental grocery). Yes, there was only one.

Sadly, the restaurant closed a few months after we moved away. The closing involved INS raiding the small apartment where about 20 restaurant employees lived.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 am

I pickled some jalapenos 2 weeks ago- been waiting on them to sit and season a while, I put garlic in mine-not alot just a smidge, I like the flavor it imparts. Oh and just wee pinch of sugar. I found a 2 pound bag of raw ones at the farmers market for a dollar (USA) and snapped them up.
Well I opened the jar today and they are good- they have mellowed nicely but still have enough heat and flavor- I left them whole, just poked a few holes in them so they absorb the brine.

Jalapenos not only tast good they are pretty good for you- low in cals but have some good calcium and even fiber in them for such a small bit.
Nutrition Facts -note this is for 90grams which is about 3 ounces so divide according to how you eat them. But it adds up.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:56 am

Just planted my chilli plants in for the year - growing jalapenos, hungarian hot wax, fresnos and chocolate habaneros this year. Jalapenos already flowering - woo hoo.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby bacon on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 am

tried fresh jalapenos and ice cream this weekend - delicious!
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:49 am

^you aren't expecting a wee one are you????
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby bacon on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

that, my dear, would be a miracle
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Has anyone mentioned my favorite yet?

Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby bacon on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 pm

i have a bottle of that in my fridge
use it to add a little extra kick to my chili or anything else that calls for it
Get your bake on. Image

bacon

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:09 pm

There are two steps "up from there. "Beyond insanity" is about 120,000 scoville units. There's "Ground Zero" that's 234,000 scoville units and "The Final Answer" that's 1.5 million.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby PantyGnawer on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:06 pm

anthrobabe wrote:I pickled some jalapenos 2 weeks ago- been waiting on them to sit and season a while, I put garlic in mine-not alot just a smidge, I like the flavor it imparts. Oh and just wee pinch of sugar. I found a 2 pound bag of raw ones at the farmers market for a dollar (USA) and snapped them up.
Well I opened the jar today and they are good- they have mellowed nicely but still have enough heat and flavor- I left them whole, just poked a few holes in them so they absorb the brine.

Jalapenos not only tast good they are pretty good for you- low in cals but have some good calcium and even fiber in them for such a small bit.
Nutrition Facts -note this is for 90grams which is about 3 ounces so divide according to how you eat them. But it adds up.

How'd you pickle them? Pretty soon I'm going to be up to my ears in peppers and I need to start planing on what to do with them.

Do they taste like the pickled jalapenos you get at the store? Cause I've been likeing those less and less these days.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

PreviousNext

Return to Food