BACON!!!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: BACON!!!

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Did you see when ... umm ... somebodywhoicantremember posted this link?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue May 26, 2009 11:20 pm

Someone posts that link like every day.

Sorry, but almost all of Blair's sauces are total novelty items with no culinary value whatsoever.

And I'm a man who loves his hot sauce.

They're good for demented dares at parties though.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby bacon on Wed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

I don't know, I like a little extra hot sauce sometimes - even the killer ones. I'll keep an eye out for Blair's if you're recommending ET.

Have you ever tried Frostbite? I absolutely love it. Hot sauce for your beer. Oh yes, 'tis the season for that!
http://www.sweatnspice.com/169-34.htm
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 pm

HOT SAUCE !

Reminds of a poker party , we ran out of salsa for nachos so we substituted 'Suzie's Hot Sauce ' , damn neer killed the lot of us .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed May 27, 2009 10:35 pm

I go thru a lotta Suzie's Chewy Sauce.
Goze grate on stur-crazy veggeez!
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 pm

bacon wrote:I don't know, I like a little extra hot sauce sometimes - even the killer ones. I'll keep an eye out for Blair's if you're recommending ET.

Have you ever tried Frostbite? I absolutely love it. Hot sauce for your beer. Oh yes, 'tis the season for that!
http://www.sweatnspice.com/169-34.htm

Just check the scoville units on whatever type of Blair's you pick up. Anything over about 500,000 is just a novelty item (they go up to 16 million). Just a few drops will make a huge pot of chili pretty much unbearable for most people.

I can take 50,000 to 100,000 units and still enjoy what I'm eating. I like my hot sauce to have some flavor. I will keep a super hot novelty sauce around though. I find a sauce that has a good flavor and then add the novelty sauce to it drop by drop until it reaches the hotness that I desire.

Rule of thumb is that if a seller makes you agree to a disclaimer before buying it, then its a novelty sauce.

Hot sauce meant for beer sounds like an awesome idea! I gotta get me somma that!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby bacon on Thu May 28, 2009 7:20 am

I love House of Tsang's sauces.

I have a few bottles in my fridge right now. You never know when I'm gonna use one of them.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby PKMKII on Thu May 28, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm going to make chicken wings with this goodness:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII on Thu May 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Update: So that was quite spicy. Lips are still all tingly. It makes for an interesting sauce, as it's more the consistency of ketchup than traditional hot sauce, and has an underlying sweetness rather than being vinegary.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu May 28, 2009 7:37 pm

PKMKII wrote:Update: So that was quite spicy. Lips are still all tingly. It makes for an interesting sauce, as it's more the consistency of ketchup than traditional hot sauce, and has an underlying sweetness rather than being vinegary.

That is Huy fong foods sirachi and it is my holy grail of hot sauce! Its not that spicy though. And I'm almost out! :paranoid:

That is my ketchup!

Also keep an eye out for this:

Its their chili garlic sauce! It has a much thicker consistency and big chunks of red peppers throughout. Mmmmmmmmm!

I use the sirachi to put directly on foods (try it on pizza, its amazing!), and use the chili garlic sauce for cooking or for making sauces.

Does anyone else start sweating just by thinking about hot sauce?
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Thu May 28, 2009 8:01 pm

ARRGH !
Hot stuff ! , a novelty going down and a dreadful outcome .

(this is far too obvious to place in QoC , for shame if you do )
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby henry morgan on Thu May 28, 2009 8:40 pm

baken in a sanwich. a brekfas' sanwich.
henry morgan
Ziti Zealot

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Bacon in fried rice. (Cooked rice, hot olive oil, eggs, bacon, sweet pepper, onion, tamari… I think I'll rush off and cook some right now, my tummy's gurgling!)
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Thu May 28, 2009 11:57 pm

Soup i like to make:

10 slices of bacon, chopped up, throw it in a pot. heat it until the fat renders off, through in 2 chopped onions. cook until translucent, then throw in 6 pressed cloves of garlic. cook for a bit, add 14oz of chicken broth, 2 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp chili powder. add four 15 oz cans of black beans (drained), bring to a boil. lower to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes. wash off and coarsely chop cilantro (coriander leaves), sprinkle on the soup and stir it in. cook for another 5 minutes, then squeeze the juice of a lime in. Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream on top.

PKMKII

Postby PantyGnawer on Fri May 29, 2009 12:29 am

PKMKII wrote: cilantro (coriander leaves),

You are one of the first people I've met that knew that coriander was just the fruit of cilantro.

I'm growing some cilantro, but its acting weird. It has very few leaves but is flowering and producing seed pods like crazy. I've decided to stop saying that I'm growing cilantro, and just say that I'm growing coriander. Cause thats all Im getting.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

PreviousNext

Return to Food