Cult Classics

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Cult Classics

Postby lordpunkmonk on Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 pm

what is your favorite cult classic movie?

Mine is Donnie Darko
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
User avatar
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 am
Location: outside your window

Re: Cult Classics

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed May 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Eraserhead, Donnie Darko, Night of the Living Dead.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Cult Classics

Postby PKMKII on Wed May 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Evil Dead trilogy, Six-String Samurai, RHPS, The Warriors.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
User avatar
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent
 
Posts: 10837
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Where the Sun don't shine

Re: Cult Classics

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed May 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Rocky Horror? I wouldn't have called that cult, but hey. Add that to my list.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Cult Classics

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu May 07, 2009 12:02 am

Rocky Horror not cult???? Rocky Horror is the poster child for a cult movie. There's a theater in Harvard Square where it played every saturday night for years - may still be playing there - and the same people would show up every week, dressed as characters in the movie, shouting "Asshole" in unison at the guy with the cigarette holder, throwing rice, dancing the Time Warp --- if that ain't a cult, I don't know what is. Put me down for Rocky Horror too.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
User avatar
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 am
Location: In the woods, watching

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu May 07, 2009 12:03 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Rocky Horror? I wouldn't have called that cult, but hey. Add that to my list.
I most certainly would.

Favourite cult movie. Hmm. Probably Fight Club.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
User avatar
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege
 
Posts: 9266
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Francemouth

Re: Cult Classics

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Rocky Horror not cult???? Rocky Horror is the poster child for a cult movie. There's a theater in Harvard Square where it played every saturday night for years - may still be playing there - and the same people would show up every week, dressed as characters in the movie, shouting "Asshole" in unison at the guy with the cigarette holder, throwing rice, dancing the Time Warp --- if that ain't a cult, I don't know what is. Put me down for Rocky Horror too.


Yeah, but the definition of a cult movie is a movie popular among a small, rabid fanbase. Everybody knows Rocky Horror. Everybody. It's an iconic movie, and hasn't really been "cult" in years.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu May 07, 2009 1:54 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Rocky Horror not cult???? Rocky Horror is the poster child for a cult movie. There's a theater in Harvard Square where it played every saturday night for years - may still be playing there - and the same people would show up every week, dressed as characters in the movie, shouting "Asshole" in unison at the guy with the cigarette holder, throwing rice, dancing the Time Warp --- if that ain't a cult, I don't know what is. Put me down for Rocky Horror too.


Yeah, but the definition of a cult movie is a movie popular among a small, rabid fanbase. Everybody knows Rocky Horror. Everybody. It's an iconic movie, and hasn't really been "cult" in years.
You wouldn't call those people rabid fans?

Yes, a lot of people know it. But it's still a cult film.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
User avatar
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege
 
Posts: 9266
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Francemouth

Re: Cult Classics

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Rocky Horror not cult???? Rocky Horror is the poster child for a cult movie. There's a theater in Harvard Square where it played every saturday night for years - may still be playing there - and the same people would show up every week, dressed as characters in the movie, shouting "Asshole" in unison at the guy with the cigarette holder, throwing rice, dancing the Time Warp --- if that ain't a cult, I don't know what is. Put me down for Rocky Horror too.


Yeah, but the definition of a cult movie is a movie popular among a small, rabid fanbase. Everybody knows Rocky Horror. Everybody. It's an iconic movie, and hasn't really been "cult" in years.
You wouldn't call those people rabid fans?

Yes, a lot of people know it. But it's still a cult film.


Key word is small group of rabid fans. But yes, I'll cede the point. I'm not enough of a nerd to argue the semantics of cult cinema all night.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu May 07, 2009 5:43 am

Awww. And I was willing to get worked up and everything. Oh well. Game point.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
User avatar
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege
 
Posts: 9266
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Francemouth

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Capellini on Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 am

A lot of people know OF Rocky Horror, but I doubt they've all seen it. And I would say even a smaller group would call themselves fans. Seeing as it has developed a cult of fans, it is by definition a cult classic. Cult classics don't HAVE to be small and unknown, that just generally characterizes things that have developed an autonomous subculture amongst its fans.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
User avatar
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: The State of Denial

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Rainswept on Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 am

The Princess Bride.






....you heard me.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
 
Posts: 9111
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: Cult Classics

Postby PKMKII on Thu May 07, 2009 11:15 am

You could make the argument that Princess Bride has obtained cult status.

Funny story though, I was reading that Mandy "Inigo Montoya" Patinkin closes all of his solo shows (he's also an accomplished singer) by delivering the famous line, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
User avatar
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent
 
Posts: 10837
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Where the Sun don't shine

Re: Cult Classics

Postby bacon on Thu May 07, 2009 11:46 am

Not sure if it is considered a cult classic, but The Big Lebowski is definitely at the top of my list.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
User avatar
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon
 
Posts: 5509
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: in the frying pan

Re: Cult Classics

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu May 07, 2009 1:03 pm

I would have said Silent Running - a fantastic little film from 1972. Bruce Dern; three little robots called Huey, Dewey and Louie (loads of character, they must have been the inspiration for R2D2); directed by Doug Trumbull, the guy who did the SFX for 2001, Close Encounters and Blade Runner, it was almost perfect.

Right up until the closing titles, when... Joan Baez and her :furious: -ing 12-string guitar turn up and completely ruin it for me.

PKMKII wrote:Funny story though, I was reading that Mandy "Inigo Montoya" Patinkin closes all of his solo shows (he's also an accomplished singer) by delivering the famous line, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
Let's face it: if you could do that, you would.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
User avatar
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
 
Posts: 15791
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest