Rain's new games

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Which Game should Rainswept play first?

Final Fantasy XII
54%
Metal Gear Solid 3
8%
Resident Evil 4
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: Rain's new games

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:14 pm

Rainswept wrote:
Wawizzle wrote:But my advice is that you put them all in a shoebox somewhere and play/replay Final Fantasy VII. :scientist:

VII had it's high points, but to me it doesn't have nearly the replay value of some of the others. Vii was amazing just on the advances in sight/sound and one hell of a plot twist. I think I only played it all the way through once, -maybe- twice. The pre rendered backgrounds drove me up the wall. XII is way, way better at ease of play, and so far I really like the combat system. I heard complaints it was too complex, but to me it's perfect. Very intuitive, and getting to assign gambits is just great. XII clearly took some really good things from the online game.

I remember waiting for 12 to be released and then I never actually got it... At one point during the development they scrapped the whole project to start again. :facepalm:

I just have a personal affinity for FF7. I loved playing it. Lots of good memories.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Wawizzle wrote:I remember waiting for 12 to be released and then I never actually got it... At one point during the development they scrapped the whole project to start again. :facepalm:

I just have a personal affinity for FF7. I loved playing it. Lots of good memories.

I was 21 when FFVII came out, and I'd been waiting nearly three years for it, and it was awesome. Once the novelty had worn off, and other games had caught up to the graphics, however, you have to look at what makes a game fun on replay, and FFVII was actually less interesting to me than FFVI on the Super Nintendo for replay. FFVI might not have had that killer scene in it, and was obviously worlds behind on graphics and music, but it had a terrific story, endearing characters each of which had their own back story for you to explore, and just tons more to tinker with as far as gameplay.

For my money, hands-down the best FF for replay value is Tactics. Probably the best story of any FF, coupled with a game system that can be a completely different experience every time you play it. (And just for you Wawiz, it's got both Cloud and Aeris hidden in it, with Cloud playable.)
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:18 pm

I've never played Tactics (and probably won't due to a lack of anxiety over video games lately) or as many of the Final Fantasy games as you have. I beat FF7, FF10, and FF10-2. I played through 3 discs of FF8 and quit while only playing 1 disc of FF9. I like the games a lot more than I like actually playing them if that makes any sense.

Resident Evil 4 on the Wii is brilliant and I think you should have gotten it on that rather than the PS2 as mentioned before (if I recall). The game is a lot scarier when you're holding the controller like a gun rather than in both hands.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Wawizzle wrote:I've never played Tactics (and probably won't due to a lack of anxiety over video games lately) or as many of the Final Fantasy games as you have. I beat FF7, FF10, and FF10-2. I played through 3 discs of FF8 and quit while only playing 1 disc of FF9. I like the games a lot more than I like actually playing them if that makes any sense.

That's cause you've been playing all the pretty ones instead of the ones that damn well better be FUN, else theres no reason to play 'em.

Resident Evil 4 on the Wii is brilliant and I think you should have gotten it on that rather than the PS2 as mentioned before (if I recall). The game is a lot scarier when you're holding the controller like a gun rather than in both hands.

I didn't even know at the time that it had been ported to the Wii, but I got such a good deal on it I don't mind at all.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Rainswept wrote:That's cause you've been playing all the pretty ones instead of the ones that damn well better be FUN, else theres no reason to play 'em.

Good point. Lol
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Being so experienced at FF has begun to bite me in the ass on this one lol. I have a habit of figuring out how to win fights through strategy and timing, and have been mostly just sticking to the storyline to start off with. So, I got to a spot today with this big monster I just couldn't figure out how to kill, so I looked up online to see what I was screwing up.

The website said "it's possible to beat it at about level 19, but it's still very hard at level 25." I looked back at the TV and confirmed my team were all level 13-14 Now I gotta go run kill lots of stuff till I level up :fsm_yarr:
Rainswept

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Rainswept wrote:Being so experienced at FF has begun to bite me in the ass on this one lol. I have a habit of figuring out how to win fights through strategy and timing, and have been mostly just sticking to the storyline to start off with. So, I got to a spot today with this big monster I just couldn't figure out how to kill, so I looked up online to see what I was screwing up.

The website said "it's possible to beat it at about level 19, but it's still very hard at level 25." I looked back at the TV and confirmed my team were all level 13-14 Now I gotta go run kill lots of stuff till I level up :fsm_yarr:

Thats a reason why I quit playing a Pokemon ROM recently. I selected my 6 pokemon specifically for their type-advantage and moves to kick the shit out of all the Gym's and all of Gary's pokemon. Now I'm outside of the Elite 4 and the first trainer's pokemon have 10+ levels above my pokemon. I'm not going to sit there and train 6 pokemon up 10 levels. Lmfao.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Elvalia on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 am

That's funny, because I've always enjoyed grinding. I'll sit there for hours and just level my characters. That's what I did in Tales of Symphonia, and now... well, once you've had really, really powerful characters, it's hard to start over. I don't really play anymore.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Wawizzle on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:23 am

I enjoyed grinding in final fantasy and kingdom hearts because there was good action sequencing. Pokemon grinding is fun for me only with trainers.

WoW grinding was fun at first until I reached the upper 30's. Then it became tedious. My friend is currently playing Priston Tale. It takes him, literally, 40+ hours of training to level his character once (he's in the 90's. The max is 110 I believe).
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Rainswept on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:12 am

It took a solid year of playing hours every day to get my first level 75 character on FFXI. They have since made it much easier, I'm told.

The most overboard I ever went on leveling was on one of my fist RPG experiences, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord long before the original Final Fantasy. My roommate and I were able to beat the game with a well rounded level thirteen group. We had one character who was level one thousand four hundred.
Rainswept

Postby black bart on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:12 am

I could only really vote for one of those choices...RE of course.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:53 am

I remember grinding on the original Diablo, then grinding on... and I apologise to myself every day for the time wasted... Runescape. Now, I can't even look at an RPG where I have to level grind, or money grind without looking for cheats. I hate grinding.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Rainswept on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 am

Don't the creatures in Diablo stay dead when you kill them?
Rainswept

Postby Elvalia on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Yeah, they do...
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Rainswept on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:01 pm

You'd think that'd put a pretty severe cap on grinding, unless you're just starting the game over and over with the same character.
Rainswept

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors