Rain's new games

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Which Game should Rainswept play first?

Final Fantasy XII
54%
Metal Gear Solid 3
8%
Resident Evil 4
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: Rain's new games

Postby Rainswept on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Wow, I gotta say the last thing I expected was overwhelming support for FF, but that's what's happening so far.

I'm trying out each game till the first save point or two. So far, Resident Evil is a little tough, but that's because of my inexperience in the series I bet. The gameplay is smooth as hell and the game looks great. Nothing in a game introduces you to death quite the same way as having your head cut off by a chainsaw. My first death lol.

Final Fantasy's opening cutscene was amazing ! I mean that was on-par with a major motion picture scene. I knew the game would look fantastic, but I was really impressed by how good the voice acting and translation is. The story hooks you immediately, which is something none of the last few except Tactics have done for me, which bodes well because Tactics is my favorite FF storyline by far, and FFXII is set in the same world.

Once I get done with the opening routine in FF, I'll try out MG3.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Speaking of RE4 seeming tough, I tried out MGS3 (on Normal)

In MSG3 pretty much the first enemy I came across was an alligator that was bigger than me. I had no trouble killing it with a knife and taking no damage.

In RE4 I couldn't kill one dude despite shooting him 4-6 times point blank in the face with a pistol.

In FFXII I came accross a T-Rex looking thing... and ran like hell. :mob:
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:44 pm

RE4 is awesome.

I played the single player campaign at a friend's house a few years ago and nearly crapped me pants.

In me defense, it was gettin' dark as hell outside, and the den was very creepy, possibly resembling rain's...?

Well, it was awesome.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:48 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:the den was very creepy, possibly resembling rain's...?

The den is quite small, and crowded by 5 bookshelves and a big L-shaped computer desk lol.
Rainswept

Postby Elvalia on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Rainswept wrote:In FFXII I came accross a T-Rex looking thing... and ran like hell. :mob:

Bahaha, I remember that. If I'm not mistaken, it's not hostile, so as long as you don't attack it, it'll just walk around and do nothing.

I'm playing FFXII again now (again as in I've resumed play, not again as in I've beat it before), and there's this stupid daemon that keeps freaking killing me, and I don't like it. :bummer:
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Rainswept on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:16 am

Ok due to overwhelming support, I've started FFXI and so far I've gotten this far into it.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Rainswept wrote:Ok due to overwhelming support, I've started FFXI and so far I've gotten this far into it.

I could put up with that for maybe twelve seconds.Image
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:33 am

If you only got 12 seconds in, you missed the point of the video entirely lol.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:45 am

Actually, I lasted about halfway through it, but I was WTFing audibly after about 12 secs. In the game, I probably would have been trying to kill the guy.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:25 am

In the game, you ARE the guy!

This was your reccomendation, remember??
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:37 am

I would be the guy telling myself not to believe the other guy??
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 am

Yup.
Rainswept

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:58 pm

I voted for Resident evil 4 because I've never played Final Fantasy XII.

But my advice is that you put them all in a shoebox somewhere and play/replay Final Fantasy VII. :scientist:
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:35 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I would be the guy telling myself not to believe the other guy??

Rainswept wrote:Yup.

:FSM_WTF:
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Wawizzle wrote:But my advice is that you put them all in a shoebox somewhere and play/replay Final Fantasy VII. :scientist:

VII had it's high points, but to me it doesn't have nearly the replay value of some of the others. Vii was amazing just on the advances in sight/sound and one hell of a plot twist. I think I only played it all the way through once, -maybe- twice. The pre rendered backgrounds drove me up the wall. XII is way, way better at ease of play, and so far I really like the combat system. I heard complaints it was too complex, but to me it's perfect. Very intuitive, and getting to assign gambits is just great. XII clearly took some really good things from the online game.
Rainswept

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors