Rain's new games

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Which Game should Rainswept play first?

Final Fantasy XII
54%
Metal Gear Solid 3
8%
Resident Evil 4
38%

Total votes : 13

Rain's new games

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

OK so I just picked up 3 games for the PS2, all of which are popular and well received, but they are also all long and involved, so which should I play first?

Final Fantasy XII: I've been playing FF games since the original in 1991, and couldn't begin to count how much time and effort I've put into it, especially FFXI online.

Metal Gear Solid 3 (Subsistence): I played through the original Metal Gear Solid, but that's the only one.

Resident Evil 4: I've played almost on RE, but this game had such crazy good reviews it made me curious.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: Rain's new games

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:55 pm

I have zero time for games, but if I was to play I would go for the one that took me furthest from reality. FF.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:09 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I have zero time for games, but if I was to play I would go for the one that took me furthest from reality. FF.

It's funny that giant walking tanks armed with A-bombs, mind-controlling parasites, and zombies qualify as closer to reality.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:26 pm

I can imagine advances in science (ignoring practicality) that would allow most of the bizarre weaponry in Metal Gear, so it qualifies as close to reality. I've never really enjoyed zomboid games, the darker versions of supernatural stuff. So I go with Final Fantasy, which this version XII is probably what, the 25th "final" fantasy? I always tought that was pretty silly. Why not call it something like "Beyond Fantasy"? Final sounds so ... final.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Well, it's actually called Final Fantasy because the guy who designed the first one, Hironobu Sakaguchi, had never made a truly successful game, and unless the RPG he decided to try turned out to be a big moneymaker, the company was going to discontinue making video games and probably go bankrupt. Since he figured it was the last game he'd ever get to design, he named it Final Fantasy.
Rainswept

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 am

FF.

That is all.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elvalia on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Final Fantasy XII, for sure.
*Realises that she never actually quite finished that game.*
*Sneaks off to PS2 inconspicuously.*
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 pm

FF, definitely. But perhaps it's because it's the only game series I play except Pokémon… :guilty:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Elvalia on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:27 pm

No Zelda for Tigger? Tigger should totally play some LoZ sometime... of course I think that the world ought to play some Zelda. Damn good series, despite Majora's Mask.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby PKMKII on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:48 pm

I went with MGS3, because it seemed to me to be the pinnacle of what was possible on the PS2 system. While RE4 is a really great game, I can't imagine playing it on anything other than the Wii. FF... there's been two FF games I have seriously played, VII and X, and I couldn't bring myself to finish either of them. There's just something about the storytelling in FF games that I find incredibly lacking. Which is odd, because I loved the Chrono series (Trigger and Cross), and I think Square's fighting games were highly underappreciated.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm

Elvalia wrote:No Zelda for Tigger? Tigger should totally play some LoZ sometime... of course I think that the world ought to play some Zelda. Damn good series, despite Majora's Mask.

This is the best Zelda.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:33 am

Elvalia wrote:No Zelda for Tigger? Tigger should totally play some LoZ sometime... of course I think that the world ought to play some Zelda. Damn good series, despite Majora's Mask.
I saw a really cool cosplayer as Spike Kid or whatever he is at Supanova. It was brilliant, despite the crappy game.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Rainswept on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:17 am

PKMKII wrote:I went with MGS3, because it seemed to me to be the pinnacle of what was possible on the PS2 system. While RE4 is a really great game, I can't imagine playing it on anything other than the Wii. FF... there's been two FF games I have seriously played, VII and X, and I couldn't bring myself to finish either of them. There's just something about the storytelling in FF games that I find incredibly lacking. Which is odd, because I loved the Chrono series (Trigger and Cross), and I think Square's fighting games were highly underappreciated.

Try FF tactics or FF6 (FFIII on the SNES) they are more in line with Chrono Trigger, which I also loved.

I actually didn't realize until I got RE4 home that it was available on the wii, but oh well, it was 8 bucks lol. Besides, the PS2 is in the den which is small and creepy instead of the livingroom where the wii is. Makes for better ambiance in here.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:24 am

Rainswept wrote:
PKMKII wrote:I went with MGS3, because it seemed to me to be the pinnacle of what was possible on the PS2 system. While RE4 is a really great game, I can't imagine playing it on anything other than the Wii. FF... there's been two FF games I have seriously played, VII and X, and I couldn't bring myself to finish either of them. There's just something about the storytelling in FF games that I find incredibly lacking. Which is odd, because I loved the Chrono series (Trigger and Cross), and I think Square's fighting games were highly underappreciated.

Try FF tactics or FF6 (FFIII on the SNES) they are more in line with Chrono Trigger, which I also loved.

I actually didn't realize until I got RE4 home that it was available on the wii, but oh well, it was 8 bucks lol. Besides, the PS2 is in the den which is small and creepy instead of the livingroom where the wii is. Makes for better ambiance in here.

Are you guys actually speaking English?

Damn, I gotta check in with civilization more often.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Are you guys actually speaking English?

Damn, I gotta check in with civilization more often.

It's OK ET. I would totally understand if you swore off Video games entirely after the one with your name on it, which was one of the worst games ever made.

The Atari video game burial of 1983 was an infamous event in video gaming history, in which Atari dumped thousands of video game cartridges, including a large number of copies of its video game adaptation E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, into a New Mexico landfill.

If you want to get caught up, Gametrailers.com has an excellent series of retrospectives I'd recommend. Full histories of most of the series we're talking about, all explained in entertaining videos.
Rainswept

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors