Like or Hate Watchmen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Like or Hate Watchmen?

Postby Clifford on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 pm

This film just seems to have so many divided opinions on it, and I was wondering what y'alls thoughts on it are. Personally I like it due to it having a greater depth of characters and plot than the majority of superhero movies.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Re: Like or Hate Watchmen?

Postby Rainswept on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Make a poll man, that's what they are for.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:20 am

Awesome. Like it a lot. Although, I'd rather they kept the ending from the graphic novel. A bit less dramatic, sure, but still pretty awesome.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Clifford on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:50 am

What was the ending of the graphic novel?

Plus I tried making a poll, but somehow couldn't find any options for it... strange ...
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:00 am

Oh, I wouldn't want to spoil it.

In fact, I'll write it in very small writing. Read at your peril.
Ozymandias makes a giant squid that mentally explodes upon teleportation into New York, killing everyone's brains and splattering everywhere. The squid dies. It's supposed to look like an attack from outer space, so the countries band together.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Clifford on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:06 am

My, that's some darn imaginative plotline right there. The movie's storyline probably works better, but the novel's would be by far more entertaining.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby sorill on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:27 am

I love the comic, but I haven't really dared watching the movie yet...

Is the moral showdown between Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan at the end still there? I consider it the pinnacle of the comic :)
sorill
Ziti Zealot

Postby Rainswept on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:21 am

sorill wrote:I love the comic, but I haven't really dared watching the movie yet...

Is the moral showdown between Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan at the end still there? I consider it the pinnacle of the comic :)

It is, although the initial scene where Rorschach goes into the bar looking for information is removed, which I think is a mistake.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Clifford on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:46 am

Rainswept wrote:
sorill wrote:I love the comic, but I haven't really dared watching the movie yet...

It is, although the initial scene where Rorschach goes into the bar looking for information is removed, which I think is a mistake.

There is a scene where he looks for information in a bar, but with Nite Owl ... he ends up breaking some dude's fingers as usual
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:17 pm

He does the bar scene a couple times in the book, but it's the first one that really jumps out right away and shows you who Rorschach is, and I always felt that was an important scene.
Rainswept

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Rainswept wrote:He does the bar scene a couple times in the book, but it's the first one that really jumps out right away and shows you who Rorschach is, and I always felt that was an important scene.
Yeah, I was really disappointed that it was cut out. They could have put it in.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:01 pm

There's a problem with this thread, in that I didn't like or hate it. I just kind of meh'd it. Which is a compliment, I suppose, considering that I figured I was going to loathe it going in.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:58 pm

Which is why I suggested he make one with a poll.
Rainswept

Postby Clifford on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:02 pm

Sadly the option evaded my vision ...
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:52 pm

I believe it was Tim Buckley who said it this way... It's a supplement to the comic.

Read the comic, then you get to watch the movie, and see (parts of) it acted out with wonderful visuals.

Seeing the movie by itself isn't going to be anywhere near as good. It's probably one of the best adaptation movies in the last 10 years. Not quite as good as LOTR, but perhaps of Harry Potter. Sure, there's some issues and things we'd rather they hadn't done, but all in all it's a good translation from text to screen.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors