CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby Hippie Pirate on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:33 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:
Hippie Pirate wrote:The only show I can say that I watch on TV is Flight of the Conchords. I have been a fan of them before they even had a show, and think they are hilarious.

I don't have cable or satellite, so have never seen the show. I do love FotC though. I first heard them back in about '05 I think, playing Business Time on Conan during our meal break at work. I have been thoroughly infatuated with them ever since. Interestingly enough, 90% of the girls I talk to can't stand them, and neither can my little brother. I'm beginning to think there may be a connection there.

I don't have cable or sattelite either, I just watch them online or at my gf's house. I was introduced to them by a friend of mine in the military, and then introduced to the TV show by my friend Sara. The majority of people I know who like them are actually girls though.
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4
Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Rainswept on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:34 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:It's funny. You 'merrckins get hundreds of channels on your cable televisions, but infrequently do you get something great. The only reason I'm glad that Australia is still connected to Britain is that we get a lot of their TV.

It's not that we couldn't get it on TV, so much as we don't "get" a fair portion of British humor I think. I had to rewind Torchwood every few minutes and try again to understand what was just said, for one thing, because British and American English have grown apart far enough that I simply don't know many of the words and phrases used. It's also worth pointing out that the customs which are common and funny to you make for jokes that I get must be jokes, and yet I know I'm missing.

Dr. Who, for example, travels in time using a police box. I'm sure that would be funnier if I knew what the hell a police box was.

In looking this up, I discovered there have been 11 actors who played Dr. Who, and that it's on the air even now. See, the only time I ever remember seeing an episode Tom Baker played him.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Hippie Pirate on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:37 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote: I have all the episodes of Flight of the Conchords, but haven't watched it in a while. It's a great show.

Are you aware the second season is on?
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4
Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:45 am

Rainswept wrote:Dr. Who, for example, travels in time using a police box. I'm sure that would be funnier if I knew what the hell a police box was.

The first thing you need to understand about contemporary Dr. Who and Torchwood is that they are written by Russell T. Davies, who is a big ol' homo and fills the scripts with in-jokes and innuendo to that effect.

A police box is like a telephone box that used to stand on street corners, and it had a telephone where members of the public or police officers could call in crimes or incidents. It also had a little seat inside where a police officer could have a rest, or they could leave a raincoat in there if the weather was changeable.

There are a couple of old police boxes in Glasgow that have been converted into tiny little coffee stalls. They are called "Cop-puchino".
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:50 am

Roy Hunter wrote:There are a couple of old police boxes in Glasgow that have been converted into tiny little coffee stalls. They are called "Cop-puchino".

Ida thought that "Bobby Brew" would have been more apparent.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:43 am

PantyGnawer wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:There are a couple of old police boxes in Glasgow that have been converted into tiny little coffee stalls. They are called "Cop-puchino".

Ida thought that "Bobby Brew" would have been more apparent.

Are they pan dimensional on the inside like Dr Who's tardis?

Other good names would be 'It's a Fair Moch'

If they served soup as well they could be called 'Irish Stew in the name of the Law'...

I've had a hard day.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:43 am

House, Lost, Survivor (yep, sorry), No Reservations, Hell's Kitchen, just to name a few.
Just had DirectTV installed, yesterday, after having cable t.v., now I have to learn all the new channel settings! :cry:
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Capellini on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:46 am

TwistedSister wrote:House, Lost, Survivor (yep, sorry), No Reservations, Hell's Kitchen, just to name a few.
Just had DirectTV installed, yesterday, after having cable t.v., now I have to learn all the new channel settings! :cry:

Don't apologize, Survivor is AWESOME. Also, do you have as big a crush on Tony Bourdain as I do? I so badly want to be his side-kick. And he's really tall, so he needs a short, female side-kick.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:52 am

At the moment I'm watching British TV and I'm liking the US programmes: Dexter, Curb your enthusiasm and more Dexter. Can we have Bilko back as well please.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:01 am

Capellini wrote:Don't apologize, Survivor is AWESOME. Also, do you have as big a crush on Tony Bourdain as I do? I so badly want to be his side-kick. And he's really tall, so he needs a short, female side-kick.

Oh god. A Cap post that I totally agree with. How can this be?

Bourdain rocks! He rocks the hardest when he's making fun of Rachel Ray. Which is often.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:43 am

Capellini wrote:Also, do you have as big a crush on Tony Bourdain as I do? I so badly want to be his side-kick. And he's really tall, so he needs a short, female side-kick.

He's my kind of man!! Too bad I ended up with the Polar opposite! :D
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby PKMKII on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:52 am

PantyGnawer wrote:Bourdain rocks! He rocks the hardest when he's making fun of Rachel Ray. Which is often.

And Bobby Flay. And Gordon Ramsey. And Mario Batali (although with Batali it seems like good-natured ribbing rather than out and out insulting).

Shows I like to watch: the aforementioned No Reservations, Bizarre Foods, Lost, Scrubs, Important Things with Demetri Martin, Countdown with Keith Olbermann, The Daily Show, Colbert Report, It's Me or the Dog, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Top Gear.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Has no one else seen "Breaking Bad" on AMC? They just started season two and I'd say it's about the best thing on US cable (or network for that matter) these days.

C'mon people, a dying chemistry teacher turns to cooking crystal meth so that he can raise some money to leave his family when he dies! Ring a bell? It won two Emmys? How can you not be watching that?

Someone else please watch this show or we'll have another "Arrested Development" on our hands. I can't live with that.

PS: If you are a fan of any of the shows that anyone here has mentioned, I'd like to introduce you to one of the greatest websites ever: EZTV
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PKMKII on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:23 pm

PantyGnawer wrote:Someone else please watch this show or we'll have another "Arrested Development" on our hands. I can't live with that.

No no no. 30 Rock is today's "Arrested Development".
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:49 pm

No no no. People actually watch 30 Rock, and it won't get canceled. I was referring to awesome shows that get canceled because no one watches them.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors