Have we ever considered a Loose Canon wiki?

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Have we ever considered a Loose Canon wiki?

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:20 pm

DancingKitty wrote:Just beware Bobby's legal threats...if he even cares anymore.

He was absent for aeons at a time in the past, he is now, and the threats DO tend to come out of...nowhere, when there's nothing illegal being done.

We tried hard to adapt what we had to what he wanted for the Wiki back in the day, but it's hard to hold a conversation with someone that's not there. Ever.

Also, he doesn't answer questions. If he did, there'd be none of the Ancient History that went on to wonder about.

Also, the original purpose of Pastafanarianism wasn't as stated above. That is HAS become that?? All the more reason to stay away.

ALSO...

Now, to delete this membership...not that it's been used much!

Wait, what? I'd never heard anything about legal threats. Tho I do agree about how he ignores us.
Check out an official Pastafarian holy book, the Loose Canon: http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/

"With Him, All Things are Pasta-Bowl."
-ProvHerbs 3:35
Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby DaveL on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:33 am

Carry on good scribe. Your work has official Admin endorsement and board support.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 pm

DaveL wrote:Carry on good scribe. Your work has official Admin endorsement and board support.

Aww sweet dude. I'm full of spaghetti and raring to go. Sauce be upon you.
Check out an official Pastafarian holy book, the Loose Canon: http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/

Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby DaveL on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm

PE,

Unfortunately, there was a bit friction with the old guard and I don't have their full blessing. But ignore it and work on.
You do have the blessing of everyone here - so as they say at Nike "Just do it".

The Canon is an awesome project that deserves to be completed. So work on matey if you need anything from us Mods or Admins, let us know.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Capellini on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:56 am

Hello Everyone,

Re: The Loose Canon, and Bobby's involvement.

I have JUST spoken to him, and he gives his full blessing. He always thought it was a great idea, he's happy to see it being picked up again, and is willing to help in any way he can.

Also, he doesn't ignore us down here. He does have a real job which keeps him very busy, and for a very long time now far out of the country (right now he's in the Philippines). He doesn't post here much, but he signs on irregularly to see what's up, and if I need something, the email turnover is a matter of hours. And if it is a real emergency, I actually have his phone number! (amazing, I know). He's easier to get ahold of than my sister, and she and I live together.

No one is going to get sued, and no one ever was going to get sued. The issues that arose between Bobby and the previous administration had nothing to do with the Loose Canon.

This project is a go, you have my word on it. If there is any doubt over what my word is worth, I can't do anything about that, but seeing as my word is the only thing that holds this place together, if you don't think it is trustworthy, maybe you shouldn't be here in the first place.

I see no reason to continue this line of discussion, unless of course the goal is to be disruptive or divisive. I have no interest in seeing another rumor mill start up. I see no benefit to speaking ill of people who have either chosen to no longer participate here, or are now doing so under what they think is some degree of anonymity, for whatever reason.

Platy, I don't know that a wiki is the best way to get started on this. If you want, I can set up a subsection here on the forum for you and whomever you want to help you out, and then once it is complete it can be transferred to a wiki. But random editting of it was an issue that I think is good to avoid the second time around. Admittedly though, I don't know crap about how wikis work.

If there is still any concern about this, I will go back to Bobby AGAIN, and ask him to come by and personally offer his stamp of approval.

Capellini
Head Administrator
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Capellini wrote: This project is a go, you have my word on it. If there is any doubt over what my word is worth, I can't do anything about that, but seeing as my word is the only thing that holds this place together, if you don't think it is trustworthy, maybe you shouldn't be here in the first place...If there is still any concern about this, I will go back to Bobby AGAIN, and ask him to come by and personally offer his stamp of approval.

No doubt and no concerns, Cap (Though I'm guessing this isn't directed at me?).

Capellini wrote: Platy, I don't know that a wiki is the best way to get started on this. If you want, I can set up a subsection here on the forum for you and whomever you want to help you out, and then once it is complete it can be transferred to a wiki. But random editting of it was an issue that I think is good to avoid the second time around. Admittedly though, I don't know crap about how wikis work.

Don't feel bad about your lack of wikiskills, I dunno how it works either. But yeah, I actually didn't plan on doing anything wiki related. The guy who started the thread was working on that. I was just attracted here due to talk of the Loose Canon. I actually don't have any solid plans on presentation yet. I figured that it would probably be up to Bobby and you Admins/Mods where and how to present it.

DaveL wrote:PE,

Unfortunately, there was a bit friction with the old guard and I don't have their full blessing. But ignore it and work on.
You do have the blessing of everyone here - so as they say at Nike "Just do it".

The Canon is an awesome project that deserves to be completed. So work on matey if you need anything from us Mods or Admins, let us know.

Is someone on Nike's payroll?

So in conclusion guys, I'm not worried about the rumors. I plan on completing the Loose Canon. It might take me a while, but it'll get done.

Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Capellini on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:48 pm

We need a victory/hat throwing emoticon.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby DaveL on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 pm

FSM cracking a bottle of champagne emoticon as well?

Cap,

We should probably start by moving all of Solipsy's Old Posts, into scripture and lore. I think we'll need an Admin to move it in here - it's beyond my Mod powers. :D
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Capellini on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:00 am

DaveL wrote:FSM cracking a bottle of champagne emoticon as well?

Cap,

We should probably start by moving all of Solipsy's Old Posts, into scripture and lore. I think we'll need an Admin to move it in here - it's beyond my Mod powers. :D

I can do that. I can also put everything in to a special subsection and give Platy mod powers over it if that will make it easier to manage. I just need to know what is needed.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:02 am

Ok I lied. I can do that if someone pms me a list of the threads they want, but there are 82 pages of Old Posts to go through, and I have no idea what y'all will want or not!

So just give me a list and I'll move it wherever you'd like.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Mod powers? Nice. I PMed the link to one thread that was missed. I also started looking through the old posts for any other stuff we mighta missed. I've gone through 20 pages so far there's nothing.

Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Ham Nox on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:57 pm

I like the idea of a Loose Canon wiki. It would help in keeping scripture up to date and making sure it is approved of by the majority (No weird, unchecked tangents by opinionated scribes) and allow us to discuss implications of various passages.
Serious problems:
1. It will be difficult to keep it linear. Linking and tables and groups can be used to keep things in order, but we'd probably have to know some serious coding if we wanted to keep a page that held everything ready to make a hard-copy. Smaller collections could be numbered, but it would be nigh impossible to order the whole thing even as we're changing it... Could also be a plus though--Being able to compare similar passages from different sections, getting to exercise artistic license in your making copies of the scripture (which would help prevent the Loose Canon from becoming an all-mighty work of dogmatic truth).
2. Malicious edits could get out of hand very easily. It can be reduced by requiring accounts, but we would REALLY need people dedicated to keeping an eye on this project to be admins.
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Ham Nox wrote:1. It will be difficult to keep it linear.

I don't think we should. I'm sure most, if not all, of us are capable of handling a convolution or two.

Ham Nox wrote:we'd probably have to know some serious coding if we wanted to keep a page that held everything ready to make a hard-copy.

Not really. There's a lot of open source 'ware out there that's pretty user friendly if you know the basics.

Ham Nox wrote:2. Malicious edits could get out of hand very easily. It can be reduced by requiring accounts, but we would REALLY need people dedicated to keeping an eye on this project to be admins.

This is what concerns me the most and is the main reason I haven't volunteered myself.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ham Nox on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Edd wrote:
Ham Nox wrote:1. It will be difficult to keep it linear.

I don't think we should. I'm sure most, if not all, of us are capable of handling a convolution or two.

Oh, I'm SURE that we pastafarians could handle a little non-sequiter.. We've handled a non-linear Loose Canon thus far, haven't we? It's the rest of the world I'm concerned about. Outside of our small, humour-appreciating group, there exist numerous haters and fundamentalists who are easily confused or put by the work involved in understanding a gospel that is not force-fed to you line by line. Plus, I REALLY want to have a hardcopy that I can sticky-note to death and pull out to deliver timely wisdom at will >:D

It will be quite helpful in my journey to become the first accredited Pastafarian Theologian.

Edd wrote:
Ham Nox wrote:2. Malicious edits could get out of hand very easily. It can be reduced by requiring accounts, but we would REALLY need people dedicated to keeping an eye on this project to be admins.

This is what concerns me the most and is the main reason I haven't volunteered myself.

I'm dedicated, when I remember to be ;)

I've been hyper-focusing on my religiousity of late. I think this is the longest I've ever been continually interested in one subject--well, except maybe twilight.
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Ham Nox wrote:It's the rest of the world I'm concerned about. Outside of our small, humour-appreciating group, there exist numerous haters and fundamentalists who are easily confused or put by the work involved in understanding a gospel that is not force-fed to you line by line.

But we want people to really think about these things. Those who are 'easily confused' aren't persuaded by clear, concise arguments either.

Ham Nox wrote:Plus, I REALLY want to have a hardcopy that I can sticky-note to death and pull out to deliver timely wisdom at will >:D

You could just print out your favorite sections. Hopefully, once it gets going, it will be in a constant state of growth and revision, anyway.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Scripture and Lore