What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Nero S. on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Capellini wrote: Guns, Germs and Steel?

I read it a while ago. I liked it, his overall hypothesis is remarkably coherent. And he does get around to dealing with just about every disciplin of science.
Nero S.
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Duke on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:20 am

I am reading "Hearts in Atlantis", by Stephen King.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby fusiontortellini on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:32 am

Diamond has another book out (2004) called Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed Sounds like it's more on the same lines but from the other direction. . . .
Who really might actually be back this time . . .

May the Fiori be with you. And may It have Meatballs.
fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby johngalt on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:04 pm

I tend to read several things at once, getting involved in a book for a while, reading it halfway through, then putting it down for the next one, which I get back to in about a year... So many books, so little time. But at the moment I am reading

The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi by William Scott Wilson (Anything about the greatest samurai ever has to be good)

Interview with A Vampire by Anne Rice (just starting on this one, but I like vampire stories)

and Troika: The Fifth Book of Indigo by Louise Cooper (I think that's the author, it's one of those that I haven't read any of for a few months, but somehow manage to remember where I am)
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby fusiontortellini on Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:14 am

Yeah, Louise Cooper wrote Indigo I haven't read all of them yet. I think it's up to eight books now. I read her Time Master Trilogy; it was good, if not spectacular.

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby TheArchitect on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:58 pm

I am currently reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I am only on the first book and need to get the second one (damn this college pocketbook). So far I like it. God I wish I had a Daemon, they would be so fun.
TheArchitect
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:40 pm

TheArchitect wrote:I am currently reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I am only on the first book and need to get the second one (damn this college pocketbook). So far I like it. God I wish I had a Daemon, they would be so fun.

I read those, back in the day, they are pretty good. Probably the best required reading I ever had, but that is not saying much, that book had next to zero competition.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Cannon_Fodder on Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:36 pm

That was required reading? DUUUUDE! All we have is "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Lord of the Flies"! I love His Dark Materials, third one I think most people will agree is the best of 'em (it also makes a nice light snack!).

Right now I am reading "Picadilly Jim" by P.G. Wodehouse. So good, as are the rest of his... Well, I actually just really like English comedy. Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Monty Python... The list goes on and on!

-(Brackets)
"The Big Bang violates the first Law of Thermodynamics!"
"So does your face!"
Cannon_Fodder
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Duke on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:19 am

Cannon_Fodder wrote:That was required reading? DUUUUDE! All we have is "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Lord of the Flies"! I love His Dark Materials, third one I think most people will agree is the best of 'em (it also makes a nice light snack!).

Right now I am reading "Picadilly Jim" by P.G. Wodehouse. So good, as are the rest of his... Well, I actually just really like English comedy. Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Monty Python... The list goes on and on!

-(Brackets)

I love P.G. Wodehouse. And the rest of that stuff on your list.

I went to a cool school, you see, and we read The Chocolate War, Slaughterhouse 5 (<-----Excellent book), Dark Materials, and, of course, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby fusiontortellini on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:30 am

I don't remember what I was required to read -- for me "required reading" is something of an oxymoron. :wink: The only one I had trouble with was Steppenwolf, by Herman Hesse. Too intense. He uses a lot of very vivid imagery, so it gave me nightmares. . . .

I really envy people who actually get educated at school, since I largely educcated myself. Idaho is not exactly a Mecca of teacher competence, especially in parochial schools. :roll:

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Jimayo on Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:35 am

I'm reading Northern Frontier: The policies and strategies of the Later Han Empire by Rafe de Crespigny and various SGZ bios as well.
"If Wu was truly the greatest kingdom, then why did Jin work them like a part-time job?" - Justin
Jimayo
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Guy Grand on Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:57 pm

Joseph Heller's Something Happened. Thus far, the damn thing is better than Catch-22.
A man who overindulges lives in a dream. He becomes conceited. He thinks the whole world revolves around him; and it usually does.
-W.C. Fields
Guy Grand
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Duke on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:23 pm

Guy Grand wrote:Joseph Heller's Something Happened. Thus far, the damn thing is better than Catch-22.

That good? I am going to have to check that out.......................

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Shoeman on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:42 pm

Gabriel's Stand by Raven Night
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby vallerand on Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:31 pm

I'm in a quandary, can't decide whether to read Torpedo Juice(Tim Dorsey) or Anansi Boys(Neil Gaiman) next.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors