Ask Any Question You've Ever Had On Christianity.

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Ask Any Question You've Ever Had On Christianity.

Postby hazza on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Btw, you have qualifications in THEOLOGY. Religion is merely an attempt to explain the universe using poorly pieced together fragments of ancient fiction. The study of it should promote a lack of religion and the analysis of the fabrication and idiocy of these stories. Somehow, however, you have managed to study this topic and still believe in a religion. Clearly you have been either brainwashed or you are the subject of severe and accute mental retardation.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
I Have Heard From A Reliable Source That You Do Indeed Like Mudkipz.
hazza
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Brian-M on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Your offer to answer our questions is a generous one, but I doubt many non-christians would be any more interested in the fine details of biblical interpretation than they would be interested in the fine details of accountancy or metallurgy.

That said, I do have a few questions I would like answered.

First, given the hundreds of vastly different religions out there, most with their own texts, prophets, miracles, visitations, etc, many of which predate Christianity by thousands of years, what reason is there to believe that Christianity (in any form) is the correct religion?

Second, I would like an answer to the previous posts asking where all the other people came from. Where did Cain's wife come from? You say the Israelites were enslaved shortly after Genesis. Enslaved by whom? Shortly after genesis, wouldn't everyone be an Israelite?

Third, if the only way to get into heaven is belief in Jesus, then what happened to all the millions of people who died before Jesus was born? And what of all the people who retain their current beliefs despite being informed about Christianity? Is a kindly Buddhist monk who spends his life in meditation and performing good deeds condemned to an eternity of suffering and torment while a murder/rapist/thief who finds religion on his deathbed rewarded with eternal joy and happiness?

:?

Just thought of a couple more questions...

Fourth, what is the Christian stance on the laws given in the Old Testament? According to Leviticus, a rapist has to pay off the girls father and marry her (much like a customer paying for damaged goods). Is it truly divine will that a woman be forced to marry her rapist? Also, a bastard cannot enter the kingdom of heaven unto the tenth generation. My grand father was born out of wedlock. Does this mean he can't get into heaven? Does this also exclude my, because I'm only third generation? Also, a dwarf cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. Why not?

Fifth, can you clear up a couple of points in translation for me? Here's some statements about the difference between the original and modern biblical texts I've read from various sources. I have no way to verify these claims, and would like to know if they're true or not.
* In Genesis, the creation of the world in six says could also be translated as six ages?
* Ancient Hebrew has no word for "slave", and all mention of slaves would be better translated as "servant".
* In the original New Testament, Mary is referred to as a "young woman", and not as a "virgin" as modern translations claim.

It would be great if you could give me answers to these questions. Thanks!

:D
Fact 1: The Italian word "spaghetti" literally translates as "little strings".
Fact 2: Physicists tell us the universe is made from "little strings" (string theory).
Conclusion: The universe is made from spaghetti.
Brian-M
Ziti Zealot

Postby Brian-M on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 pm

Hmm... It's been over a week and still no reply. Oh, well, I've thought up another question in the meantime.
Last week I read a reference to an eleventh commandment, so I looked up the commandments in the King James Bible, and (comparing them to the "standard" ten commandments) was surprised by what I found.

I have to wonder who decided the first commandment was so unimportant it could be reduced to a single sentence while the ninth commandment was so important it should be split into two separate commandments and the bit about not coveting thy neighbor's handmaiden left out completely.

My main question, however, is why only ten commandments? There have to be at least another twenty or thirty of them. Why not count all of them? Or is the church afraid people might realize how silly most of them are?

The eleventh commandment (by my count) is to build earthen alters on which to make burnt offerings and sacrifice livestock. How many devout Christians obey this commandment, given directly to Moses by God himself?

:fsm:
Fact 1: The Italian word "spaghetti" literally translates as "little strings".
Fact 2: Physicists tell us the universe is made from "little strings" (string theory).
Conclusion: The universe is made from spaghetti.
Brian-M
Ziti Zealot

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Yarr m8s , darkcitymedia is very busy at thee moment , a busy boy is he , i don't know when he's coming back .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Re:

Postby DancingKitty on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:20 pm

goldstar wrote:what is up with transubstantiation?
i mean it is cannibalism is it not? and is there not a commandment about not killing people?
im pretty sure cannibalism would fall under that commandment.
this has always confused me so much.

That's one for the Catholics, so ask MPTrooper. This guy's not a Catholic...
DancingKitty
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby sky lukewarmer on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:16 pm

I`ve just read all of the posts on this really interesting thread and only at the end noticed the date of the last one, I`m quite disappointed that he didn`t come back. Do you think he got hit by a bus or something?
solve the worlds problems make the hungry eat the homeless: just call me Godfree.
sky lukewarmer
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Matey , oid had a few PMs wid DCM some tyme ago , Oi dont wanna say too much sins oi dont 'ave 'is approval to discuss mooch ove wot he has tole me aboot himseff .

Oi fink et be safe ta say thet he comes frum a VERY prominint politicull fambly (dere be a change in Washshuntin doan ye nose ) an also he be a pursuing a career in screenritin' , maybe he ackchoolee got a job in Hollywoodland an must make thee deadline , oi dunt reely no .

Oi figarr he be back wunce he gets a break frum his werklode , at leest oi hope so , oi hava bunch moor fings ta arsk him meseff .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:54 am

Brian-M wrote: Also, a dwarf cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. Why not?

Just goes to show that FSM-ism is more tolerant. Not only are midgets allowed into heaven, they are considered sacred.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby auffenpuffer on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:06 pm

I have question!

Why do you assume that your religion is more likely to be true than any of the other religions? And especially why do you feel that your interpretation of christianity is more likely to be true than those disregarded as herecies?

Those questions have always puzzled me so much, and I'm still waiting for any christian to provide some sort of answer.
auffenpuffer
Conchigliette Convert

Postby VHSBD on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:35 am

The Old Testament (in Isiah, I believe) claims that the Messiah, Jesus, will be of the house of David. Now Joseph was supposedly of the house of David, but if Jesus was of virgin birth, does this not mean his birth goes against the prophecy?
VHSBD
Ziti Zealot

Postby sky lukewarmer on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:32 am

yeah they must have used IVF with Joseph as the donor!!! :roll:
solve the worlds problems make the hungry eat the homeless: just call me Godfree.
sky lukewarmer
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby VHSBD on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:13 am

If the Christian doesn't respond by the end of tomorrow, I will assume he cannot come up with any good answer to my question.
VHSBD
Ziti Zealot

Postby Bornagain on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:54 am

Looks like 'e can't answer yer questions, matey.

Pity, 'cos I had a load I wanted to ask meself.
Bornagain
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:30 pm

VHSBD wrote:If the Christian doesn't respond by the end of tomorrow, I will assume he cannot come up with any good answer to my question.

Be payshunt deeries , he shall retoine .

Y'AAARGH!
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby svenk91 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Why did god killed all first born of egypt? Didn't he had beef with the farao?

Even if I know the Christian god was real I would follow him out of fear for hell and greed for heaven, as I do not agree with him. Still I see many christians that say they are for peace, and that innocent people shouldn't be the victim of other poeples conflict (as in the first born of egypt story) and also say they love your christ and what he stands for. Are those just afraid of hell or any other punishment/shortcoming in the afterlive or this live. Unable to make that easy connection (with a bit of brains you should see that) or lying to the world and actually do want to slaughter innocent people to get intimidate poeple?
svenk91
Conchigliette Convert

PreviousNext

Return to The Cause