Veggieheads VS Meatheads!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Vegetarians or Meat-eater?

Vegetarian
27%
Meat-eater
64%
Vegan
9%

Total votes : 44

Veggieheads VS Meatheads!

Postby wobastax on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:26 am

I asked myself, in the FSM culture, what is our ratio from vegetarian to meat-eaters? so i'm gonna find out! (please don't ignore this poll, and no hating please)
Embrace the noodles of all cultures, and listen to Bob Marley... He's good, and his hair is like noodles
wobastax
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: Veggieheads VS Meatheads!

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:46 am

Any recipes for vegetarian meatballs to have with your spaghetti?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

I eat meat but not much. I prefer to buy good meat from happy free range animals, pay more for it and only eat it once a week than have cheap mass farmed meat and have it every day.

Veggie meatballs (2 recipes)

Recipe 1: Lentil "meat"balls
150g dried green lentils
2 bay leaves
1 onion
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cloves
2 tsp dried oregano
75g breadcrumbs
2 tbsp tomato purée
salt and pepper
2 eggs

Cook the lentils as directed on the packet, with the bay leaves for flavouring. Make sure they are soft, before draining to remove as much of the water as possible. Remove the bay leaves and allow to cool.
Chop the onion finely and mix in a bowl with the cooled lentils, herbs & spices, breadcrumbs, and tomato purée. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Beat the eggs and add to the mixture.
Take large spoonfuls of the mixture and form into balls approximately 4cm across. (I made 18 from this amount of mixture)
Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C until golden (about 10-15 min). If you prefer you could fry them.
Serve with pasta and tomato sauce.

Recipe 2: Soya "meat" balls
Two cups cooked soya mince
One onion, finely chopped
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 cup gratedcheese
seasoning to taste
Oil, for frying

Blend the soya mince with the cheese, onion, bread crumbs and seasoning. Mix well.
Beat the egg and add to the soya mixture.
Dust your hands with flour and take small portions of the mixture and form into small balls.
Heat the oil in a frying-pan and brown the balls in it in batches, turning occassionally to brown evenly all over. Remove the "meatballs" when done all over and warmed through.
Serve with pasta and tomato sauce

Plus a bonus:
Easy tomato sauce
1 Can tomatos
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely slices (optional)
Herbs/ spices of your choice.
Salt and pepper

Fry the onion and pepper. Add the can on tomatos. Squish it so that the tomatos are broken up but not smooth. Cook over a moderate heat until reduced to about 1/2 - 1/4. Season to taste. Serve

(This is nice plain, with fresh herbs sprinkled in at the end or with a sprinkling of dried chilli added at the start and a splash or red wine vinegar right at the end).
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby nicci :) on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Vegetarian... feta cheese is heaven!

Vege meatballs? Hmmm, well if you're going to use soya mince I suggest soaking in hot water as per instructions with olive oil, marmite (vegemite is ok but marmite is better) and red wine. Don't be afraid to use more marmite and cut down on added salt to compensate either. Can try thyme & marjoram in the meatballs with origano and/or bay leaf in the sauce. And 1 packet of dried burgermix goes a long way to keeping things sticking together to cut down on those eggs. :)
"Life is a mirror, just drop your shields and look at yourself."
Are you who you want to be?
nicci :)
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby wobastax on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:28 pm

veggie meatballs sound pretty cool... i guess you could do tofuballs too.... but that would be weird also.... AHA! i got it! you can use tempeh! ever had that stuff? tis good yarr.
Embrace the noodles of all cultures, and listen to Bob Marley... He's good, and his hair is like noodles
wobastax

Postby Cabbage on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:24 pm

Sworn meathead here. I like the sizzling taste of meat in my throat, thank you very much. lol.
Arghhhh!!!

Beware the beast of Pirate's Bay!
Cabbage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:53 pm

I sit on the fence, teetering and occasionally falling off to one side or the other.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:01 pm

My wife is a pity vegetarian, she won't eat anything she feels sorry for. This does not extend to fish. Personally, I'll eat anything that doesn't try too hard to get away, but living with Mrs. T., it's pretty much vegetarian. I'd stray from the True Path if I had actual money that I could spend on random food, but HAHAHAHAHAHA, extra money? Come on. I'm lucky if once a month I have two dollars in my wallet that isn't predestined for some planned purchase or other. Literally. On the other hand, the past twelve years of mostly vegetarianism have left me with no cholesteral problems, no blood pressure problems, and no unmanageable weight problems, so I can't complain.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby S'presso on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:20 pm

If I was a pity vegetarian, I would only eat beef, chicken and turkey. None of which, are particularly bright or cuddly.
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Elvalia on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm not a vegetarian at all, but I am a very, very picky eater. For example, lobster is the only seafood I eat. And I don't like chicken (except where fajitas are involved) or turkey, and I don't eat anything off a cow that isn't on a pizza or in my spaghetti. I like ham and bacon but nothing else off of a pig. I could easily be a vegetarian (I wouldn't be giving up much) if the pizza didn't make me cry. I like a proper works pizza.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:40 pm

Elvalia wrote:I'm not a vegetarian at all, but I am a very, very picky eater. For example, lobster is the only seafood I eat. And I don't like chicken (except where fajitas are involved) or turkey, and I don't eat anything off a cow that isn't on a pizza or in my spaghetti. I like ham and bacon but nothing else off of a pig. I could easily be a vegetarian (I wouldn't be giving up much) if the pizza didn't make me cry. I like a proper works pizza.

You have not lived until you've had a works pizza from Santarpio's. We used to live about three miles from there, ate there all the time.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Elvalia on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:53 pm

... I think the most amazing part of the link you have there was the prices in the menu. I expected much larger dollar amounts. :) 'Round here, I go for Greco. But Greco's just fast food... I want to try your pizza place.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby sorill on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Veggiehead! :fsm_rock:

The green lentil meatball version above looks familiar. Good stuff. (Though, if you'd like to go vegan, eggs can be replaced with potato starch and some water.)

Also, how about cooking up some random FSM theology in support of a vegetarian diet? I mean, scripture makes morality much more fun, doesn't it? :)
sorill
Ziti Zealot

Postby Inner Child on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Veggiehead here...
I don't think tofu balls are a good idea. Did anyone test that?
I use soy stuff to make into soyballs. It's yummy.

Did you know that the citizens of my country are totally unfamilliar with meatballs? They just fry the minced meat and stir it up with the sauce.
Bollocks!Sez me parrot.
Inner Child

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Inner Child wrote:Did you know that the citizens of my country are totally unfamilliar with meatballs?

I sense a need for a Missionary of Meatballs. Has anyone achieved that rank?
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Next

Return to Food