Worst book ever written..

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Worst book ever written..

Postby Cabbage on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Don't cry. Edward will be there for you.
Arghhhh!!!

Beware the beast of Pirate's Bay!
Cabbage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby S'presso on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:11 pm

:(

I'm not a huge fan of Shakespeare, but I must say Twilight comes no where close.

Oh, you're so sparkly. You sparkle like a sparkler. Wow, you're sparkly and sexy. etc etc etc...
vs.
Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind

Oh well, I'll read my literature, while the world falls to pieces at a vampire romance.

p.s You Suck! is a far better vampire romance. Much funnier, and more romantic
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Cabbage on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:21 pm

No, I don't suck. There are no good vampire romances except Twilight. Twilight is original and a poineer of literature.
Arghhhh!!!

Cabbage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby S'presso on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:27 pm

no no no
I meant the book. :P
It's name is "You Suck!" (maybe I should have put it in quotes to prevent misunderstandings like this...)
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:18 pm

S'presso wrote:no no no
I meant the book. :P
It's name is "You Suck!" (maybe I should have put it in quotes to prevent misunderstandings like this...)

I italicize.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Twilight is good, but it's far from literature. Oh, dear FSM, I nearly did a spit take (I might have, had I been drinking) reading that you thought it was "literature". "Literature", by definition is the "art of written works", and therefore one can argue that any bit of text is "literature".

But true literature is not just any sort of story, but a story that can be considered truly a work of art. Something that leaves an impact on your mind. Not just a tingly feeling of having read an interesting story, but a feeling like a proverbial brick coming out of the sky and crushing your skull. (in a good way) It has to move you, to make you think, to make you change your way of looking at things, if only very slightly, or it's just another book.

If you think Twilight is better than A Midsummer Night's Dream, you're crazy. Twilight is an adequately written teenager's fantasy with a few two dimensional characters, and mostly one-dimensional characters.

Edward is just too perfect, and he may be "troubled" and "angsty", but, know what, so am I, and so is every other teenager. He's immortal, for chrissakes, why is he ANGSTY?

Don't get me wrong, I loved reading it, but it's the sort of book I may read twice in my life. It's a trip, but it's nothing compared to His Dark Materials, Harry Potter or the Prydain Chronicles. It's shit, compared to Tolkien and Ender's Game. I don't really like Shakespeare, as I find the language to be hard to decipher, so I won't make a simile about it, but Shakespeare has lasted for a few hundred years, and I can't see Twilight outlasting the current generation. Hopefully, our children are smarter than our generation, and go back to reading Tolkien.

If you want a good book, read It, by Stephen King, 1984, by George Orwell or Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Hell, even That's literature. That's the sort of book that makes you sit and THINK about what it implies. That's the sort of book that scares you out of your fucking MIND because it's just that good.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Edward is just too perfect, and he may be "troubled" and "angsty", but, know what, so am I, and so is every other teenager. He's immortal, for chrissakes, why is he ANGSTY?

If all teenager's are angsty, and Edward will forever be a teenager does that make him eternally angsty? Or will he eventually grow out of it?
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:46 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:Edward is just too perfect, and he may be "troubled" and "angsty", but, know what, so am I, and so is every other teenager. He's immortal, for chrissakes, why is he ANGSTY?

If all teenager's are angsty, and Edward will forever be a teenager does that make him eternally angsty? Or will he eventually grow out of it?

Ah, but teenagers are angsty because of social stuff and schoolwork, not becuase of genetics. He has no REASON to be angsty, he's just under the delusion that he's got no soul 'cuz he's a vampire. Stupid.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Cabbage on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:16 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:

Ah, but teenagers are angsty because of social stuff and schoolwork, not becuase of genetics. He has no REASON to be angsty, he's just under the delusion that he's got no soul 'cuz he's a vampire. Stupid.

Edward is an atheist. He doesn't believe in souls.
Arghhhh!!!

Cabbage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Cabbage wrote:
Edward is an atheist. He doesn't believe in souls.

I specifically remember something about him being worried about having no soul, and transforming Bella into a soulless monster.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Brizzle on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:06 pm

There is only one book I've come across so far that I had to force myself to finish reading, and that is Fahrenheit 451. I just very much disliked the way it was written. I thought the idea behind it was extremely intriguing, I just couldn't get past the writing style. They made us read it my freshmen year, bleh.
Brizzle
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Brizzle wrote:There is only one book I've come across so far that I had to force myself to finish reading, and that is Fahrenheit 451. I just very much disliked the way it was written. I thought the idea behind it was extremely intriguing, I just couldn't get past the writing style. They made us read it my freshmen year, bleh.

I concur.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Well, anytime your commentary about a book includes "I had to read it for..." that dampens the enjoyment of it right there. Nothing spoils the fun of a really great book (or even a mediocre one) like having to write a term paper about it.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:46 am

I had to read Disobedience by Jane Hamilton for one of my college classes. I failed the course, because I just couldn't make it past the 50 page mark. I tried again at a later date, and only managed to make it about 80 or 90 pages. What a load of crap. Absolute drivel. Dreck from start to finish and every last word in between (from what I could tell). Thbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt! (raspberry sound effect)
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:09 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29001524/
Bahahahaha. Stephen King hates Twilight@
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors