Worst book ever written..

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Worst book ever written..

Postby wobastax on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:21 pm

twilight or stargirl both are exceedingly horrible... i never read twilight, but i started to, and it was terrible... its nothing but cheesy vampire love for horny 9 year old girls.
Embrace the noodles of all cultures, and listen to Bob Marley... He's good, and his hair is like noodles
wobastax
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Putanesca wrote:Over the years I have read many hundreds, possibly even thousands of books, only once have I failed to finish one.
The offending tome? George Elliots - Middlemarch.
Most of you will never have heard of it. To which I say "Lucky you".
To those of you who, like me, suffered a 'clasic' English education it was a requirement if we wished to accumulate those brownie points known as exam passes.

I struggled through Shakespeare,
Suffered Satre,
Wandered with Wordsworth
and
Battled Byron

Believe me it wasn't worth it.

I agree, Middlemarch was completely unreadable, like wading through peanut butter.
I, too, have been a bibliophile for decades, and probably have a total in the thousands. My most recent worst book ever was regifted to me by my mother, on the occasion of my last pilgrimage to The Home, down south in that other state. The Golden Buddha, by Clive Cussler, is supposedly some kind of best-seller, but I can't imagine why. I couldn't make it to the second chapter. And this is someone who read Leaves of Grass from cover to cover, just because I wanted to. The writing is redundant, contradictory, and incoherent. And that's just the first chapter.

Mrs T, an English Literature major, votes for anything by Faulkner.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:56 pm

wobastax wrote:twilight or stargirl both are exceedingly horrible... i never read twilight, but i started to, and it was terrible... its nothing but cheesy vampire love for horny 9 year old girls.

Twilight is not horrible. It is far from "amazing", and barely qualifies as "good", but it is not "horrible"!
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
wobastax wrote:twilight or stargirl both are exceedingly horrible... i never read twilight, but i started to, and it was terrible... its nothing but cheesy vampire love for horny 9 year old girls.

Twilight is not horrible. It is far from "amazing", and barely qualifies as "good", but it is not "horrible"!

Twilight is about as enjoyable as being force-fed used Mormon underpants.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:48 pm

Used Mormons have underpants?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:12 pm

Moral Minority wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:

You're exaggerating heavily.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Moral Minority on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:

You're exaggerating heavily.

No, dude. I am being nice.
Moral Minority

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:22 pm

I just failed to finish Ulysses by James Joyce again. It's so boring I actually prefer doing dishes to reading it. I think I'll just give it to a charity shop.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Moral Minority on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I just failed to finish Ulysses by James Joyce again. It's so boring I actually prefer doing dishes to reading it. I think I'll just give it to a charity shop.

Agreed.
Moral Minority

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Moral Minority wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:I just failed to finish Ulysses by James Joyce again. It's so boring I actually prefer doing dishes to reading it. I think I'll just give it to a charity shop.

Agreed.

And again, it seems that of my circle of associates, I am the only one who likes Joyce. Curses. I suppose I shouldn't recommend Finnegan's Wake, then?
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Moral Minority on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:47 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:

Agreed.

And again, it seems that of my circle of associates, I am the only one who likes Joyce. Curses. I suppose I shouldn't recommend Finnegan's Wake, then?

Dear FSM! NO!
Moral Minority

Postby Cabbage on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:56 pm

No, it isn't. It's actually pretty well written, and Twilight is the way I met my boyfriend. We met in the bookstore where we bought the book. I think it's attractive when boys read good literature. lol.
Arghhhh!!!

Beware the beast of Pirate's Bay!
Cabbage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Cabbage wrote:

No, it isn't. It's actually pretty well written, and Twilight is the way I met my boyfriend. We met in the bookstore where we bought the book. I think it's attractive when boys read good literature. lol.

Your attract-o-meter must be off. Whether it's entertaining or not, Twilight is not literature. Twilight is a pretty popular book. Literature is something that will go down in history, and bore the ever loving shit out of English classes for hundreds of years.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Cabbage on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Oh. I think that 50 years from now, children will study Twilight in schools as a paioneering example of horror romance fiction. I think that it's even better than Shakespeare.
Arghhhh!!!

Beware the beast of Pirate's Bay!
Cabbage
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Blasphemy! I'm going to cry over my already tear-stained copy of King Lear for a few hours.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors