Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:53 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:HA!

Finally, I've found Capellini's weakness!

I must tell worley!

You'll have to wait a while, he's taken a voluntary hiatus from people.
Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Valanthe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:04 am

I agree SoIaF is one of the best fantasy series in existence! I also got a chance to see GRRM live at a small con in Blacksburg back in March. He says he's got a lot going on right now (the ninth volume of Wild Cards came out about then, as I recall) but will deliver the next volume, A Dance with Dragons as soon as he can. Bit of a spoiler, but not really: we will be hearing from Jon more in Dance.

Other series I enjoy include Dragonriders of Pern, Wild Cards, Discworld, Wheel of Time, Forgotten Realms, Incarnations of Immortality, and Xanth. Oh, I almost forgot about the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. The answer is 42! :D
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rainswept on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:38 am

News is a couple weeks old, but HBO has officially greenlighted the pilot episode: it will be made.

George R.R. Martin wrote:Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn!
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Cricket on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Okay, I'm bopping in and out, got three other windows open, doing a bunch of other shit...so a quick glance at the title and I thought it was about the poem - which initially made me think "We're getting literary, aren't we", and then, after reading bits of the thread, making me think "WTF??"

I've got to quit doing six things at once.
Empusa's crew, so naked-new they may not face the fire,
But weep that they bin too small to sin to the height of their desire,
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Valanthe on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:21 am

Rainswept wrote:News is a couple weeks old, but HBO has officially greenlighted the pilot episode: it will be made.

George R.R. Martin wrote:Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn!

When? I must know! Then I can maybe figure out when the dvds will be available. :D (I don't get HBO)
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby ChowMein on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Yarr , oi has just picked up part four of the series , oim into chapter 6 roight now, it's slow going at thee momint with so many characters and such .

Oim 6th on thee list four books 2 and3 , oim 40th on the list for book one .

Would it be a mistake for me to continue reading book 4 without reading thee others first ?
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Capellini on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:16 pm

ChowMein wrote:Yarr , oi has just picked up part four of the series , oim into chapter 6 roight now, it's slow going at thee momint with so many characters and such .

Would it be a mistake for me to continue reading book 4 without reading thee others first ?

YES! Stop now!!!!!! Read them in order, please!
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rainswept on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Capellini wrote:
ChowMein wrote:Yarr , oi has just picked up part four of the series , oim into chapter 6 roight now, it's slow going at thee momint with so many characters and such .

YES! Stop now!!!!!! Read them in order, please!

Definately need to start with book one.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Valanthe on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:46 pm

This series absolutely must be read in order. You'll miss a lot if you don't. Matter of fact, Mr. Martin has said he's encountered people at conventions who have just discovered the series and tell him their favorite character is one who is going to die shortly. The people who are farther along in the series do sympathize.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby ke_mikiao on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Finowar Tapestry by Guy Kay.

best books ever....i don't know why.

I did like Ice and Fire just because he killed people off (mostly). Got tired of authors keeping EVERY FRIGGIN CHARACTER. KILL ONE!!!!!

Coldfire Trilogy is also good (C.S. Friedman). It has undead, magic, cat-women, and the undead. Also religion too.
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby Valanthe on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:38 pm

I know her writing is a bit formulaic, but I do enjoy a Mercedes Lackey book every so often. I got hooked on the Heralds of Valdemar series in high school, and I like the fact that she did a series where the main character was gay. It's nice to see someone who does not fit all the expected fantasy standards being the hero.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby skeeelz on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:46 am

I SO hope ASOIAF finally gets greenlit for HBO production (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_ice_and_fire#TV_adaptation), and that they do it well ...

Ok, just finished the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" series by Tad Williams, largely because I had read that it helped inspire George R. R. Martin to write "Song of Ice and Fire," and partly because I needed SOMETHING until the next ASOIAF book came out. Now, while MST was good and enjoyable, it wasn't ASOIAF. There were rough spots in character development and, frankly, the quality of writing was sometimes lacking. But it was a fun read. However, I now find myself in the same spot as before -- I need a fix. I picked up the first three books of "Malazan Book of the Fallen," but only got maybe a quarter of the way through the second book before I put it down. I wanted to like the series, and there were plenty of moments, but in the end it just didn't do it for me. I'll probably go back to it at some point, but not now. I also picked up "The Name of the Wind" by newbie Patrick Rothfuss and liked it, but the other two books of the trilogy haven't come out yet. Anybody have any suggestions? Solid writing (purposeful and engaging, patient without meandering), plausible character development, inventive -- all big pluses ... Anyone read "The Black Company"? Or "Neverwhere"?
skeeelz
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 am

skeeelz wrote:I SO hope ASOIAF finally gets greenlit for HBO production

It did, some time back. Read Martin's "not a Blog"

Ok, just finished the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" series by Tad Williams, largely because I had read that it helped inspire George R. R. Martin to write "Song of Ice and Fire," and partly because I needed SOMETHING until the next ASOIAF book came out. Now, while MST was good and enjoyable, it wasn't ASOIAF.
<snip> ... Anyone read "The Black Company"? Or "Neverwhere"?

I liked MST once I struggled past the better part of book one. I kinda liked its way of of showing character growth because the hero starts off whiney and unlikeable, but slowly gets better.

Black Company is decent, the guy does a really good job of capturing the feel of a military unit and the comradarie.

If you want something outstanding to tide you over, go with Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson.
Rainswept

Postby Capellini on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:58 am

It's only been given a pilot production order. HBO is not committed to pick up any episodes yet.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Valanthe on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:17 pm

"Neverwhere" is an excellent read. I also can recommend Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". If you like your fantasy more humorous, try Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens". I've heard it described as The Omen meets Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which seems to be a fitting description. If you like that, you might want to try Pratchett's Discworld series. I've only read the first few novels, but they're fun.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors