pirate ship church

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

wind-powered sail ship or not?

sail
49%
deisel
2%
solar
8%
all of the above
21%
2 of the 3
21%

Total votes : 53

pirate ship church

Postby pirateanarchist on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:22 pm

will the FSM merchandise from the cafepress site linked to this one, if bought benefit our cause to get a pirate ship church like purchasing the Gospel will?
any other sites, like perhaps amazon, what stocks FSM stuff also benefit our cause? with the pirate ship church we could go forth and do as the FSM wants, we could stop Global warming (I says we get one with sails) and we could clean up pollution with big nets. the ship could also provide a safe haven for those disowned by x-tian religious families. at the back of "The God Delusion" there is a list of places where in-the-closet non x-tians could go to escape the religion. let us make the list!
Pirates Do It For The Rum
Ramen

anarchyinaction.piczo.com
pirateanarchist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby sosondowah on Tue May 27, 2008 10:58 am

solar and wind powered pirate ship would be awesome indeed.
sosondowah
Ziti Zealot

Postby lordpunkmonk on Tue May 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Sail with solar plates on sides of ship to charge the appliances of the ship
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Re: pirate ship church

Postby Hqrsie on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:23 pm

I've actually been doing serious planning on a ship (I've sailed for 12 years now and plan on building a boat in the future).

One emergent technology for wind propulsion on boats has been the concept of power kites. These airfoils get high into the atmosphere and can harness much more wind power for their surface area. My plan involves the use of those for main, long-term propulsion mixed with solar panels attached to a traditional mast. The idea is for a small electric turbine to move the boat around shore and wind to do the work on the open sea where the solar panels will work to power on-board devices such as sewage, navigation, and communication systems.

It's a long time coming, but sailing around the world in a boat I've designed myself is going to be my backpacking through Europe, mid-life crisis sports car, and wacky old man retirement project all rolled into one. When it's done I'll settle down at some marina/house boat community, dress like a pirate, and yell at nearby swimmers to "get off my lawn!"
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere committing evil deeds, an it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
--Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Hqrsie
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 pm

The Whistling Kettle has sails and a steam engine. The steam engine is powered by solar panels and wave power (similar to tidal power). When I get too close to shore, I just power up the engine, engage the wheels, and roll up the beach!

Arrgghhh! :fsm_yarr:
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby lari on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 pm

The pirate ship church should also go to big cities because there are much more actually-non-religious saying they are x-tians just to say they have a religion in these ones. In Sao Paulo at least things are this way, but most of the poor are always religious here.
Brazilian Pastafarian :D
lari
Ziti Zealot

Postby Brian-M on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Diesel would be the most practical, but let's face it, if you're setting up a "pirate" ship as a basis for a church, practicality has little to do with it.

Solar power has a great "green" reputation, but doesn't produce much power. Not much use for transportation. (Solar cells to power lighting and low-power appliances would be good though, but you'd still need butane/propane for cooking.)

Finally, there's just something evocative about a proper sailing ship with real sails. Especially if it's an old style wooden boat.

Just love the idea. Maybe we could get hold of the replica of the Bounty they built for the Australian bi-centenary in 1988? (Assuming it's still afloat.)

:fsm_yarr:
Fact 1: The Italian word "spaghetti" literally translates as "little strings".
Fact 2: Physicists tell us the universe is made from "little strings" (string theory).
Conclusion: The universe is made from spaghetti.
Brian-M
Ziti Zealot

Postby Moral Minority on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:18 am

Sails FTW!
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ConcreteBalloon on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:54 pm

why not a hydro-powered boat?

As the water travels through a channel in the hull, it powers a turbine, which powers the motor.

Sounds easy enough. If a dam can do it, why can't a Pirate ship?

Especially one empowered by the FSM.

ConcreteBalloon
Ziti Zealot

Postby Dagwood Gum on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:57 am

I say solar because the sun god concept is what has driven religions throughout history. You can cook your ramen on a solar stove.
The winds represent what man has said that god has said whereas Diesel is a pollutant.
Dagwood Gum
Ziti Zealot

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:02 pm

What about oars?
Check out an official Pastafarian holy book, the Loose Canon: http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/

"With Him, All Things are Pasta-Bowl."
-ProvHerbs 3:35
Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby pirateanarchist on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Hqrsie wrote:I've actually been doing serious planning on a ship (I've sailed for 12 years now and plan on building a boat in the future).

One emergent technology for wind propulsion on boats has been the concept of power kites. These airfoils get high into the atmosphere and can harness much more wind power for their surface area. My plan involves the use of those for main, long-term propulsion mixed with solar panels attached to a traditional mast. The idea is for a small electric turbine to move the boat around shore and wind to do the work on the open sea where the solar panels will work to power on-board devices such as sewage, navigation, and communication systems.

It's a long time coming, but sailing around the world in a boat I've designed myself is going to be my backpacking through Europe, mid-life crisis sports car, and wacky old man retirement project all rolled into one. When it's done I'll settle down at some marina/house boat community, dress like a pirate, and yell at nearby swimmers to "get off my lawn!"

That is a fantastic idea!
I was considering what type of boat structure we could use, and I think a small cruise liner would make a great frame! we can have the decks built however we want! :scientist:
Pirates Do It For The Rum
Ramen

anarchyinaction.piczo.com
pirateanarchist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Dudeman55556 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:38 pm

Brian-M wrote:Just love the idea. Maybe we could get hold of the replica of the Bounty they built for the Australian bi-centenary in 1988? (Assuming it's still afloat.)

The one they used in the "mutiny on the bounty" (the movie)? I know someone who was a crew member, if that's the one youre talking about. It's most certainly still afloat, but the cost of maintaining it is huge, cause it's wooden, and they're in the red. And that's despite the multimillion dollar rentals for movie sets. So I doubt we could afford the upkeep.

The real question is, do we want a wooden boat, a metal boat, or a fiberglass (ugh) boat? Wooden boats are awesome but cost a lot to maintain. Fiberglass is a bad idea. I'm up for metal, but only if we have an awesome paint job.
"I would think the power of christ would at least come with a built-in spellchecker."
-Travis Waldera
Dudeman55556
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Return to The Cause