The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Elvalia on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Oh my. Then how the hell did I manage to not hear of it before now!? I'll have to track it down. Thanks!
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Elvalia wrote:Oh my. Then how the hell did I manage to not hear of it before now!? I'll have to track it down. Thanks!

It wasn't well known. I only heard of it because of a tiny blurb that EGM wrote about it back in the days when I still read EGM. I think it got a 10, but I could be mistaken.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Xi the Tolerant on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Grr. I'm going to buy Half Life 2. I got a copy, (read: pirated copy) but I can't get around Steam. I hate Steam, for making me purchase a game attached to you!

It had better be worth it!

I happen to like steam games... but if you have something against them I'd like to know to see if I was lead down a non-noodle path.
Nothing is Impossible...

And if you believe in one of the multiple universe theories, (don't ask me which I'm no expert... yet...) everything is the truth. Why can't FSM be the truth for this one?

and if you were wondering... The avatar is a thing I did for a graphics arts class I had once... The people are Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, and the Ninja from ask a ninja. Two of them are my heroes and one makes me laugh occasionally...
Xi the Tolerant
Ziti Zealot

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:40 am

Xi the Tolerant wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Grr. I'm going to buy Half Life 2. I got a copy, (read: pirated copy) but I can't get around Steam. I hate Steam, for making me purchase a game attached to you!

It had better be worth it!

I happen to like steam games... but if you have something against them I'd like to know to see if I was lead down a non-noodle path.

It's probably fine if you're not a game pirate.

Nevertheless, crisis averted, as I 'procured' a non steam copy off the interwebs. Hooray! It's a marvelous game!
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:19 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:It's probably fine if you're not a game pirate.

Concurred. As a pirate, I loathe Steam with a passion, but it's not bad if you ain't criminal. Though I remember when it first came out. I cursed it regularly, as it didn't work very well and got in the way of my Counterstrikage.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:12 am

I am currently obsessed with Shadow Of Rome... gladiatorial massacres are teh epicality.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Elvalia on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Hah, I was thinking earlier that I ought to dig this thread up. I received Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold (PC), Prince of Persia: Two Thrones (PC), and Prince of Persia: Rival swords (Wii). Rumour has it that the latter two games are identical (TT was ported to the Wii as RS, this I know), but my brother tells me that I could always regift one (the crafty bastard- his birthday is in about a month).

Oh, and Vista!? Vista makes me want to shoot myself. Fail, Gates, just fail.
Elvalia

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:26 pm

I am shamed. Despite my previous rant, and my conviction to never get into it again, I have once more fallen into WoW obsession. Though, in my defense, I don't like it for the role-playing, which I still find lacking. I'm just a fan of Warcraft. That's my excuse.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:01 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:I am shamed. Despite my previous rant, and my conviction to never get into it again, I have once more fallen into WoW obsession. Though, in my defense, I don't like it for the role-playing, which I still find lacking. I'm just a fan of Warcraft. That's my excuse.

That must've been why you've been absent lately! Now go to the Principal's office and get a tardy slip!
I hope you've got a note from your PC doctor!

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:11 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:I am shamed. Despite my previous rant, and my conviction to never get into it again, I have once more fallen into WoW obsession. Though, in my defense, I don't like it for the role-playing, which I still find lacking. I'm just a fan of Warcraft. That's my excuse.

That must've been why you've been absent lately! Now go to the Principal's office and get a tardy slip!
I hope you've got a note from your PC doctor!

That, and work. Work has actually been my main time-suck, lately. Warcraft is up there, though. I'm playing all four simultaneously.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:19 pm

Okay, I played Silent Hill yesterday and....

shit, dudes, I couldn't go to sleep that night.
Moral Minority

Postby Elvalia on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:03 am

I've been playing some Prince of Persia: Rival Swords. Controls aren't so good. I've taken to just flailing wildly with the wiimote. It works better; if you try to combo, it seems like the controller misses half of your movements. If you never stop moving, eventually it has to attack!

Also, having the camera controls up at the D-pad is not-so-great for people with smaller hands. Reaching that and the 1 and 2 buttons is an issue for me.
Elvalia

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:05 am

Moral Minority wrote:Okay, I played Silent Hill yesterday and....

Yeah, that generally happens. I made it up until you go to the dark world, and then I went fetal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:26 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:Okay, I played Silent Hill yesterday and....

Yeah, that generally happens. I made it up until you go to the dark world, and then I went fetal.

I think I had the PS1 demo of that, years ago. I played it for a while, but I couldn't figure out how to kill things so I switched to Tekken.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Moral Minority on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Dude, that shit is fucking scary! Faceless nurses trying to stab you with syringes and such (bonus scare points for me since I am deeply phobic of all things medical). I was shaking like crazy and smoked two packs of cigarettes that night, out of pure fear that faceless nurses would stab me with syringes.

On a lighter note, I just beat Civilisation IV with every victory condition possible on the hardest difficulty. That diplomatic victory sure is elusive.
Moral Minority

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors